Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 06:18 PM

1,212 posts, read 4,912,820 times

Advertisements

I am making final decision on the color scheme of my home.

I am getting granite counter tops, and wood floor.

I initially wanted cherry colored cabinets and wood floor to go with dark granite (Turbana) and black appliances.

My husband thinks the kitchen should be lighter... mid brown colored floor like Autumn and lighter granite like Baltic brown (brown/tan/black) or Santa Celia (a lighter tan/brown).

So first what in your opinion would look best, refined... dark granite with black appliances? Those examples I have seen look the best to me.

However if I went with lighter colors, I could go with base appliances and save about $2000 just for getting black appliances.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2008, 06:26 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,445,927 times
I think it depends on where you live, I have seen some very nice dark kitchens, as long as you make sure there is enough light in the kitchen and choose a lighter wall color to balance it all out and puncuate the design with some high color touches I think it could work well.

I personally prefer something lighter but I live in Florida. I have cherry cabinets and an offwhite tile. The walls are butter yellow. I want a light green-beige granite when I can afford it.

I am personally not fond of brown, I like color. For me there is enough brown in the wood that your furniture and cabinets are made out of but thats a personal thing. I should imagine that some color pallets are so personalized it might be limiting for resale value. What if the next owner of my home doesn't care for green?

You might also consider stainless steel appliances, they are very popular and reflect alot of light as well, they go with everything literally from a more traditional farm house look all the way to an ultra modern design.

Old 02-24-2008, 06:32 PM

1,212 posts, read 4,912,820 times

This would be an example of the lighter kitchen.

and here is an example of the darker kitchen

Old 02-24-2008, 07:34 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,017,268 times
as an interior designer, I am not a big fan of the lighter kitchen, it just looks "dated". I have not done a light kitchen like that in a decade.
The darker kitchen has some problems as well, the tile on the backsplash is too dark, and there is not enough contrast between the floor and the cabinets.
I would use a contrasting, lighter granite for the backsplash, and tie that in with the island in the lighter granite. Its a very high-end look, and can be very affordable. I would liven the whole place up with a warm paint, perhaps in a yellow, to really make the wood sing......sorry, I just cant help analyzing whats wrong with the pix, its what I do, you know?
I would go with the darker, richer look, it will have better resale value, and will look a lot better than the washed out look of the lighter, more "dated" look of the first pix.
I hate to disagree with Lindsey, but stainless is on its way out, I havent done a stainless kitchen in 2 years.

Old 02-24-2008, 07:51 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,886,289 times
That first picture is a poor representation of a light color kitchen. In fact it is down right ugly and mismatched.In the right hoiuse a light kitchen just looks right. In a otherwise light colored house a dark kitchen like that pictured(everything dark) loks terrible.

Old 02-24-2008, 07:57 PM

there is nothing mismatched about the lighter kitchen, all the color tones flow quite well, its just a dated look. From the early '90's.

Old 02-24-2008, 08:45 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,788,537 times
I think the only person who should get a vote is the person having to clean it everyday.

Old 02-24-2008, 09:18 PM

My Cherry cabinets are the natural cherry so the red tones come out nicely.

I was not aware of that about Stainless, what is the next newest thing then? I like the idea of Stainless but they charge so much MORE for them.

Old 02-24-2008, 09:36 PM

the newest thing is to clad appliances in the same front as your cabinets. its really not that expensive, the box part of the cabinet is what costs the big $$$$. It gives a very high-end, "bespoke" kitchen look, gives more continuity to the cabinetry that way.
The focus falls on the range, usually done with a cool hood in wood, tile or other things that give all the focus to that part of the kitchen. Its the natural focus anyway, kinda like a modern hearth look, ya know?

Old 02-24-2008, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
the newest thing is to clad appliances in the same front as your cabinets. its really not that expensive, the box part of the cabinet is what costs the big $$$$. It gives a very high-end, "bespoke" kitchen look, gives more continuity to the cabinetry that way.
The focus falls on the range, usually done with a cool hood in wood, tile or other things that give all the focus to that part of the kitchen. Its the natural focus anyway, kinda like a modern hearth look, ya know?
OH thats cool and I like that idea. You mean the carcas of the cabinet and they call the panels that go in front a DIP if I remember correctly. My brother used to work for TriPac. I love the look of all the appliances being hidden like that.

Are you sure we weren't seperated at birth or something, I was born in March how about you? I am adopted after all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating