Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which direction did you go in, the last time you redecorated?
I changed my white/neutral walls to colored walls 35 60.34%
I changed my colored walls to white/neutral 23 39.66%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2017, 12:28 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,819,429 times

Advertisements

Went from polar white to light cafe-au-lait. Have since changed a bright bedroom to a light warm yellow and one to a pale gray. The trim I left white through the house and that will be one of my next projects, as I don't like it.

My thing is that I don't like "shiny" walls, most of my colors are flat to eggshell at most.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2017, 09:15 AM

3,830 posts, read 6,728,972 times
The home I purchased was painted with very bright, blinding colors. Like a neon purple, grass green, neon blue, etc... (Except the living room and kitchen were white. Sort of strange.)
I repainted with more subtle colors. A slate green with grey undertones, a muted purple in the bathroom, etc...

Old 01-11-2017, 10:12 AM

613 posts, read 943,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCard~ View Post
I just did the interior of our home over the summer, we went from colors ( with accents walls) to panting basically ever room in Silver Plume Benjamin Moore, doing away with accent walls. We need to finish the dinning/ kitchen, once spring hits. I'm older 54, and wanted an airy light color and feel to my home, white drapes throughout & white bedding as well, etc! I love it! I feel more relax when I walk into my home now, it's say chill and feels unburden, just airy and light ..That what I was going for..

I believe change is good and needed, it's just paint and once your sick of it, well easy change.. LOL
I couldn't find a color "Silver Plume" on the Benjamin Moore website. There is a True Value paint named that--kind of a taupe-ish-gray.

As far as paint being an "easy change".......I've found it's expensive, can take a lot of research to find good painters, stressful to have them in one's house, & then if you pick a bad color, like I recently did (Benjamin Moore "Fog Mist", it's like a contractor's beige from the 1990's, that the painter suggested), it's depressing.....

Oh, & I've done DIY painting also, incredibly time consuming. A really good pro does a much better job, in way less time.

Old 01-13-2017, 04:50 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodyWW View Post
I couldn't find a color "Silver Plume" on the Benjamin Moore website. There is a True Value paint named that--kind of a taupe-ish-gray.

As far as paint being an "easy change".......I've found it's expensive, can take a lot of research to find good painters, stressful to have them in one's house, & then if you pick a bad color, like I recently did (Benjamin Moore "Fog Mist", it's like a contractor's beige from the 1990's, that the painter suggested), it's depressing.....

Oh, & I've done DIY painting also, incredibly time consuming. A really good pro does a much better job, in way less time.
Yes to this. I was always appalled when decorators would blithely write, its just paint; you can always change it. When we painted we had to move and cover furniture, tape off wood works, cover the carpet, paint the ceiling first, and then paint the walls. The actual painting of the walls was not time consuming or hard. It was all the other stuff!

Painting for us was always a big job, and I approached choosing a color with a lot of thought.

However, even with all of that. It is fairly easily reversed. And one can choose colors well if one takes one's time. We've done it ourselves, and we've also had it done. It all depends on the job and, now, our age. When we were younger, we needed to save every penny we could. So we were motivated to paint whatever it was ourselves.

Now, we are likely to have it painted, as we have done in our current house. Hiring a painter is expensive, yes.

Old 01-13-2017, 11:36 PM

3,158 posts, read 4,588,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodyWW View Post

Silver Plume / 8443 Benjamin Moore..I went and looked, strange. I wonder if it's been discontinued?

Old 01-14-2017, 12:31 PM

613 posts, read 943,906 times
I bought my current house in early 2015. It had 3 nice newly painted rooms downstairs, with 3 diff. Ben Moore paints. The one color I may change is "Castleton Mist", a kind of Puke Green (see the Exorcist). The other 2 downstairs colors are "London Fog"--a really nice medium gray/taupe-ish, & "Weston Flax", a nice light yellow.

The downstairs & upstairs halls, & upstairs bedrooms, were all really old bad paint colors & paint jobs--they could have been from the 1960's. I'll attach pics of the old & new hall colors, & one of the new bedroom colors. The new hall color is Ben Moore "Fog Mist"-- downstairs it looks like a nice light neutral linen or taupe-ish (?), but upstairs it looks like a contractor's beige from the 1990's--almost flesh tone. What?

The pics left to right:
1, & 2--the 2 old downstairs & upstairs hall colors--Nasty Red, & Baby Poop Brown.
3. The new "Fog Mist" color in foreground, "London Fog" in background.
4. "Fog Mist" color in upstairs hall & landing. The bedroom color in the background is Ben Moore French Canvas--now that's an interesting color. Nice, light, neutral but with a little bit of yellow-ish & green-ish.
5. Castleton Mist in downstairs living area. I might change it to B.M. Bavarian Cream, a really really light yellow.

I haven't shown the other 3 bedroom colors that I had painted (all diff. colors). I'm sure rethinking all the diff. colors now; but after 2 diff. painters, & a huge amount of painting, I've poured about $3300 into it. And it included ceilings, a whole lot of trim, doors, & lots of prep, sanding, etc.

I really do think tho, that you can have somewhat diff. colors thru-out, at least if they all co-ordinate. Maybe makes it more interesting......
Attached Thumbnails
Did you change your house interior from white to color, or color to white?-dsc_0019.jpg   Did you change your house interior from white to color, or color to white?-dsc_0020.jpg   Did you change your house interior from white to color, or color to white?-dsc_0007.jpg   Did you change your house interior from white to color, or color to white?-dsc_0015.jpg   Did you change your house interior from white to color, or color to white?-dsc_0003.jpg  

Old 01-14-2017, 06:48 PM

33,553 posts, read 18,143,148 times
I bought a new home with all white walls. Got tired of it and had every room but one painted with different colors because I got tired of white. Just one guest bedroom is white. I can change bedding and drapes to anything in that room .

Friend just bought a new house. All white. Boring.

Last edited by Taratova; 01-14-2017 at 07:00 PM..

Old 01-14-2017, 07:14 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
I bought a new home with all white walls. Got tired of it and had every room but one painted with different colors because I got tired of white. Just one guest bedroom is white. I can change bedding and drapes to anything in that room .

Friend just bought a new house. All white. Boring.
All white walls is not my style either. But what is boring to us might be restful to her.

Old 01-21-2017, 08:05 PM

37,127 posts, read 42,193,480 times
Last time was many years ago when I changed a mishmash of wall paper and pastels to a soft white everywhere. Now I'm getting ready to change again to deeper neutral walls while keeping all the trim white.

Old 01-22-2017, 07:17 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,746,342 times
I prefer white with maybe an accent wall.

I bought an older home and it has a few walls with color. The living room and kitchen are a yellowish beige. The bedrooms are an orange tan color and the bathroom is dark green. In a way I like it because I would never choose strong colors, but I am discouraged because I tried to color match to clean up some areas and it didn't come out the right shade. I would much rather have white with maybe an accent wall in each room. At least my walls are not as bad as ones I've seen on TV shows or on real estate listings. Dark Blue, Bright red, and purple are awful choices for wall color especially in small rooms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating