Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which direction did you go in, the last time you redecorated?
I changed my white/neutral walls to colored walls 35 60.34%
I changed my colored walls to white/neutral 23 39.66%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2017, 04:20 AM

2 posts, read 1,681 times

Advertisements

I had white on my living room. And I just wanted a change. So Last month I changed it to a combination of light green and blue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2017, 05:44 AM

7 posts, read 3,669 times
I used to have purple walls in bedroom and hallway when I was a child and it was such a relief for me to then paint all the walls with light and neutral colors! After 10 years, I still like them.

Old 02-12-2017, 05:59 PM

3,971 posts, read 4,039,806 times
I went to color but I'm thinking about going a bit in the other direction now.

Old 02-13-2017, 07:21 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
I went bolder than usual in my bedroom. I don't really like it, so I'll probably change it back to a soft pale color again.

Old 02-13-2017, 08:32 AM

3,613 posts, read 4,118,212 times
We went from wallpaper to color, wall paper on every wall...and most ceilings. We painted most of the ceilings a color, but they are white in a few rooms where white is an accent color or the color of the trim in the room. We do not have any white walls in the house at all.

Old 02-13-2017, 06:18 PM

548 posts, read 1,038,472 times
I love color. When we bought this house last summer it was all browns and wall paper. I removed the horse wall paper from the kitchen and painted it a sunny yellow. My family room is gray, our bathroom is teal and white, the guest room is lavender, and my room is blue. I still need to do the living room which if I get to stay here long enough will be sage green.

Old 02-16-2017, 07:58 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,760,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vectoris View Post
The last time you made a major decorating change to your house, or to an area of it, did you go from white/neutrals to color, or did you go from color, to mostly white/neutrals? I'm talking mostly about the color you chose to paint the walls.

I wonder if I just long for things I don't have. My house is full of colour. I'm tired of it and when I see a white room with nice accents, I want that. But when I had something like that, years ago, I wanted to be surrounded by warm rich walls.
Go white and have each room have a colored feature wall.

I've never been a fan of colored walls. Unless you did them they are very hard to color match after you move in for touch ups. When I bought my home it already had colored walls and I've grown to like them. The kitchen and living room are a yellowish beige and the bedrooms are a sandy orange. the bathroom is a darkish green which I'm not a huge fan of, but it's fine. The home I grew up in had tan or beige walls.

Old 02-16-2017, 01:32 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,394,464 times
Ugh!! the dreaded color picking, lol. Over the years I have had mostly white walls. Then changed it up to neutral beige. Got bored with those and went to a bright light orange kitchen color which I loved "with" my cabinets. Changed it back to a more neutral pecan or caramel(can't remember which one is in this house). Those are the main rooms. Bath and Master are Mousse Mousse. I did change the spare bedroom to match the comforter set. It used to be this in another larger house:

Now it is this. I went a little lighter as this house is darker. I love the silver on the walls…and the purple well it goes.

Old 02-18-2017, 10:23 AM

4,031 posts, read 2,716,220 times
I didn't so much as 'redecorate' as I did move from one house with white walls to another house with a mix of colors in various rooms.

All the walls in my old house were white, with the exception of the half-bathroom, which was sky blue. My old house was smaller, with other townhouses blocking quite a bit of the sun (so despite all windows facing east and west, it didn't get much natural sunlight), so I kept the interior walls white.

New house is larger, further spaced from other homes, and gets a *lot* of natural sunlight, since most of the windows face south and east (it's a paired home). The living room is 'greige'--a sort of combination of gray and beige, which I personally wouldn't have thought of for myself, but actually works really well (it helps that this room gets a *lot* of light.) The dining area/kitchen is mostly off-white with an accent wall painted bright red. The half bathroom is a chocolate brown (which again, I wouldn't have picked, but it works well--it's actually a good-sized half-bathroom, with a white ceiling and light colored flooring). The master bedroom is sky blue (very soothing), and the upstairs bathrooms and two other bedrooms are white. All the ceilings were left white, which actually works very well.

In all honesty, the colors in this house were greatly appealing to me, which probably played a large role in my making the offer. The only room colors I wasn't crazy about at first was the half-bathroom, but I figured that'd be an easy enough fix with a few buckets of Kilz and whatever new color I wanted. It just turned out to grow on me before I could do that.

Old 02-19-2017, 05:21 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Neither.

I went from weird greys, dull golds, and dirty beiges to greens, apricots, and warm beiges. Except the kitchen, which is white.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating