Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2008, 02:56 PM

25 posts, read 45,269 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
The size of my home increased fourfold when I moved to Raleigh, and now my lack of furniture is quite apparent. Among the items I need are a nice sofa for TV watching and a guest bed. Naturally, my thoughts drifted to futons... from the traditional wood-armed ones to the newer ratchet-backed loungey ones that Target carries. So... any advice on if a futon is really worth the trouble? Do you have a personal experience you can share that would persuade or dissuade me? Any recommendations for good futoneries in the area? Much appreciated!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2008, 03:57 PM

286 posts, read 994,232 times
Futons are cheap but I don't think many people like to sleep on them

Old 07-20-2008, 04:29 PM

2,743 posts, read 14,292,767 times
I think they can be great IF you invest in a more expensive, higher quality futon mattress.

My son (sixteen) has the wood arm kind of futon with a "better quality" mattress (i.e. thicker) and he is fine with it. It seemed like a good idea for him because he's a teen and when he moves out and gets his own place he'll have something versatile in case he has limited space (which I think often is the case with a first apartment!).

At my age though it kills my back. We bought that for him when he needed a bed, and he keeps it out in "bed" form They sell much more fancy innerspring futon mattresses, and you can always add a memory foam topper that the cover would hide.

Invest in a good mattress and a quality futon (the last frame we had broke.. the wood slat parts just split) and it can be a good idea.

Likewise you could always keep an air mattress handy to put on top of the futon mattress when it's being used for guests.

Old 07-20-2008, 05:27 PM

3,702 posts, read 18,210,718 times
I have a high quality Futon (wood frame) with the thick mattress. It is very nice to sleep on and I myself sleep there when my back is bothering me and my guests prefer it to the guest bed. I like it because I can change the cover and throw pillows when I change the decor. I also have a cheap futon (metal framed) which I cannot wait to get rid of. It was only meant to be temporary anyway. That thing is uncomfortable to lounge on. If it is high quality, I would recommend it.

Old 07-20-2008, 07:45 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,746,107 times
The only thing worse than sleeping on a futon is sitting on one. I think a futon for guests to sleep on is OK but no way in Hell I'd use one as a serious couch.

Old 07-20-2008, 08:03 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,099,857 times
Futons aren't really meant to be sit-on things. They're meant for sleeping -- and they're great for sleeping if they're high quality!

Old 07-20-2008, 11:11 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,254,763 times
I agree dont get a cheap one.
They can be used for sitting no problem if its not a cheap one. Go with a wood frame, gripper pads to help keep matress from sliding.

Can throw this on top of cheaper futon matress to make it really comfy:
Memory Foam Mattress $329 for Twin Size, Queen Size only $459. BedInABox.com - America's Highest Quality Memory Foam Mattresses at The Lowest Price Possible.

If I had a house I would get a double sized futon while searching for a heavy duty and on sale couch or a real pull out couch.

Old 07-21-2008, 06:11 AM

4,897 posts, read 18,487,887 times
why not get a sleeper sofa? much nicer and better for tv watching, and there is always a guest bed when you need it.

Old 07-21-2008, 06:50 AM

5,384 posts, read 10,866,691 times
My hubby had a futon when I first met hime and I found it to be the most uncomfortable contraption ever invented... and moving it was a pain as it kept opening and shutting (we moved it to a guest room upstairs when I moved in).... I would buy a sleeper sofa if you want to use it for multipurpose... the newer sleepers are more comfy than a futon anyway.

Old 07-21-2008, 07:13 AM

19,743 posts, read 22,645,978 times
We have a quality solid wooden frame and spring mattress futon in our covered porch / Florida room.

It's the most comfortable sofa in the house! It doesn't have that wicked sunken back like a lot of thin mattress futons.. It's rather supportive. One pillow in the small of your back and you can sit comfortably all day..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating