Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2017, 03:18 PM

26,731 posts, read 26,820,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
It's NOT about 2 people standing side by side using their sinks at the same time although some people may do that. It's more about each person having their own space with their own belongings rather than having everything mixed together.
Agreed. We added a bathroom years ago that our then-teenaged son and daughter shared. The contractor had suggested double sinks, which I thought were silly at the time--for kids, anyway. The harmony that ensued...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2017, 04:22 PM

18,471 posts, read 31,643,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer E38 View Post
What are you doing by yourself that you want to make sure your SO doesn't see you brush your teeth or comb your hair? I really don't get it. "doing what you need to do?" What are you ashamed of?

In the morning when both are getting ready for work, it's about efficiency in getting ready. There's a time and place for relaxation and privacy.

Double sinks have been around MUCH longer than HGTV. I'm not necessarily a fan of HGTV, but it's getting a bit tiresome to see it blamed for absolutely everything by people with short memories.
What dont you "get"

I just do not want to share my bathroom time or space with anyone, wait your turn

Last edited by nightcrawler; 06-22-2017 at 05:12 PM..

Old 06-22-2017, 04:33 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Quote:
What are you doing by yourself that you want to make sure your SO doesn't see you brush your teeth or comb your hair? I really don't get it. "doing what you need to do?" What are you ashamed of?
In the morning when both are getting ready for work, it's about efficiency in getting ready. There's a time and place for relaxation and privacy.
Double sinks have been around MUCH longer than HGTV. I'm not necessarily a fan of HGTV, but it's getting a bit tiresome to see it blamed for absolutely everything by people with short memories.
You actually do not have to *get it*, not your home, your bathroom, your choice, your concern.
It is the choice of those who live in the home and they live as they choose to without the need to ask
random strangers on a public forum if it's okay to do so.

Your experience in your home is efficiency in getting ready, amazingly enough there are as many ways to get ready to leave in the morning as there are humans.
HGTV has influenced many homes with remodeling ideas that have a high cost but depreciated the home to possible buyers. Those who follow any *trend* from clothing to homes can end up with a bunch of
high cost items that they will never get a good return on. If one would stay with classic, basic, timeless they would save a lot of time, energy, frustration and money.

Old 06-22-2017, 04:36 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Quote:
I'd say they were wrong. If you need to have that much privacy, you have some issues you need to work out...
Separate bathrooms, separate bedrooms... hell, why not separate houses. If you're marriage is happier when everything is separate, you might want to rethink the concept of marriage...Or who you're married to.
You have a very long list of assumptions about people you do not know.
Perhaps professional guidance to work out any possible issues you need to work out.
One marriage/couple is not like any other and *it may be you that might want to rethink the concept of marriage or who you are married to*.....

Old 06-22-2017, 04:55 PM

2,913 posts, read 2,049,080 times
Well....that escalated quickly...smh
Me personally could not survive in a house with only one sink in the MB (first world problem).

Old 06-23-2017, 02:12 PM

2,983 posts, read 3,092,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
You have a very long list of assumptions about people you do not know.
Perhaps professional guidance to work out any possible issues you need to work out.
One marriage/couple is not like any other and *it may be you that might want to rethink the concept of marriage or who you are married to*.....

Hey, I'm not the one saying I need to be separate from my spouse or need to be removed from my spouse. I didn't have to assume anything about the post I was responding to, much less have a "long list of assumptions."

I also put a goddamn smiley on there to indicate it was tongue in cheek. So knock off the attitude.

Old 06-23-2017, 03:33 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,325,075 times
Jeez,

The whole thing came about because some silly magazine article, trying to sell people a bunch of crap they don't need, was trying to convince us that double sinks in the master bathroom, and medicine chests to hide all your stuff, are somehow "out of fashion" and so everyone needs to rip it out and change to something else.

I and others called BS on this.

Especially the idea that people's bathroom stuff, that they usually put (or would like to) in the medicine chest, has somehow magically changed; that the partly used tubes of hemorrhoid ointment, bottles of anti-psychotic medication, and Listerine used to be unsightly, nowadays those things are so beautiful that fashionable people will want them on display.

Or the idea that married people who have been going along perfectly happy with each having his or her own space on the counter to use as they see fit, will suddenly decide that staying fashionable in the bathroom now dictates they rip out the existing countertops and mix it all together.

It's just all the same marketeering BS. If you can make something a fashion item, subject to the whims and hairpin turns of fashion, you can sell new versions of it not on the basis of functionality, but on style, which means you can sell a whole buch more of it.

Old 06-23-2017, 03:37 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,325,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
You've never been to my house, my sister's, my brother's, or my parents! None of this describes any of our bathrooms! Many women don't wear makeup. And those who do don't typically have it all over. Same with perfume. Many women keep a lot of their lotion in their nightstand because they put it on when they're getting ready for bed.

Sounds like you need to clean out your medicine cabinet. Many of us don't keep all that in a medicine cabinet. We don't even have all of those items.
Some people are neatniks, and some aren't.

Old 06-23-2017, 03:49 PM

4,031 posts, read 2,716,220 times
Hmmm....

I'd have to say my downstairs is a modified 'open floor' plan. While you can see *most* of the downstairs from most vantage points, you can't see *all* of it. For example, if you're at the front door, you can see all of the living room, the dining room, and 25% of the kitchen, but you can't see the laundry room. If you're in the living room, you can see all of the dining room, 75% of the kitchen, and maybe 5% of the laundry room. If you're in the dining room, you can see all of the living room, kitchen, and 10% of the laundry room. If you're in the kitchen, you can see all of the dining room, 25% of the living room, and you can't see the laundry room at all (there is enough of a wall between the two.) And if you're in the laundry room, you might be able to see the dining room at an angle and a small part of the living room, but you can't see the kitchen. I don't know if this makes sense. But basically, while it's great for socializing, you can't see everything, every minute.

Because of how my downstairs is, it's very possible to have the living room painted one color while the kitchen and dining room are painted another color (which, right now, is the case.) The living room is that 'greige' color that people talk about--not something I would have thought of or picked (it's the color the room was painted when I bought the house), but it actually works well, so I'll likely keep it for years to come. However, I think a lot of that is 1.) The room gets a *lot* of natural light, and 2.) The walls are 'broken up' enough--a door here, the fireplace there, the staircase there, a window on that wall, a *big* window on that other wall--so the color doesn't end up 'dominating' everything.

I have plain white subway tiles in my bathroom. My bathroom is mostly white, but that wasn't planned--when I moved in, there was a cheap, poorly-laid weird grey-and-brown patterned vinyl on the floor. I had that pulled and had a luxury vinyl tile in white with a gray smoky pattern laid. The walls had already been painted white when I moved in, the white subway tiles were already there, and bathtub and toilet were both white. The sink has a white basin, but with a medium golden oak colored cabinet. I did commit the sin of recently having a very deep bathtub installed. I live there, and I *love* baths. I'll spend hours in the tub if I can. If I have to sell the house and somebody doesn't like the deep bathtub, then they can rip it out and put in what *they* want. I am thinking about painting the 'long wall' over where the tile ends in the bathtub area a light blue. The rug and toilet skirt are blue, and the shower curtain is various shades of blue, so there's some color in there--and the nice thing about a white bathroom is I can change the rug, toilet skirt, and shower curtain all for less than $40, and suddenly add pink to the bathroom. Or red. Or whatever.

My current kitchen counter is a light cream-patterned Formica. It has a crack in it. I'm shopping around for light-colored quartz patterns, and actually found some I like. Replacing the countertop will probably be next year's project (I've already had quite a few for this year, some not intended, but had to be done.) I am thinking of tiling the kitchen walls. Probably another light color. I see nothing wrong with neutral colored walls and floors--that way I can change up accessories/furniture without thinking about how it'll clash. Plus, my downstairs gets a *lot* of natural sunlight, and I like how the neutral colors 'warm up' when the sun hits them. Plus, anything bright or dark might get noticeable fading over time. My kitchen cabinets are the same medium-golden-oak as my bathroom cabinet. They're on the plain and simple side--makes them easier to clean. Kitchen and dining room floor are medium golden-oak hardwood. Needs sanding and resealing (?), but still looks good, and helps add to the warmth of the room. I like this look and think I'll keep it.

My major kitchen appliances are all black. They came that way. I did replace the stove and fridge, and just went with black. It worked, and I didn't want white (had white appliances in my old house, they always looked grimy, and the handle of the refrigerator became dark from the natural oils in our hands always touching it, so it looked gross. As for stainless steel, I just didn't feel it would really work in that kitchen.)

My downstairs has the air vents in the ceiling. My upstairs has them in the floor. If one thing could be changed in that house, I would have air vents in the ceiling of the upstairs rooms as well. I don't know if that's feasible, but it would make placing bedroom furniture easier.

Old 06-23-2017, 03:56 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,210,098 times
Quote:
Hey, I'm not the one saying I need to be separate from my spouse or need to be removed from my spouse. I didn't have to assume anything about the post I was responding to, much less have a "long list of assumptions."

I also put a goddamn smiley on there to indicate it was tongue in cheek. So knock off the attitude.
Well, since it was my post you replied to, I can say that you assumed a whole hell of a lot. Having separate bathrooms is not remotely the same thing as your little diatribe presented it to be. And no, I'm not taking it personally because I'm not even married! But in these houses where the so called master bath was really a tiny little space shoehorned in there, yes, many couples found it more pleasant to not try to share that tiny space when one of them could use the more spacious second bathroom instead. Your laundry list of assumptions notwithstanding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating