Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2017, 07:55 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,746,219 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post

But hey, if money is no object, and valuable rugs can be easily replaced, then I guess it is OK if you overlook the devaluing of a handmade item that probably has been created with many, many hours of hand labor.

Yes, it is a real Oriental and I guess if you look at it your way, while I'm busily "devaluing" someone's countless hours of work, I can just throw it away and buy a new one which helps support their livelihood. Not that I'd do that but good grief, who knew someone could slip a morality lesson into a simple question about how something looks.

One thing about "good" Orientals: they are incredibly well made and rugged, made to stand up to a lot of use and even abuse. The Sarouk Persian in my living room is 125 years old. It has a few worn spots but generally, the older and more used a good Rug is, the more beautiful. Which is definitely the case with my antique Rug.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2017, 09:35 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,325,075 times
No rugs or carpets in the bathroom. Ever.

Do you have a man or boy in the household? Nuff said.

Old 11-29-2017, 09:44 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,064,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Small rugs are more slippery.

Oh geez; what a crock!

Old 11-29-2017, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Oh geez; what a crock!
At any rate, we aren't looking for smaller rugs. It would be almost impossible to match two and they are hard to find in such a small size. Guess it's just a matter of personal taste and since really no one sees our master bath but my husband and myself, it doesn't really matter.
I appreciate the pictures Elnina linked for me!

Old 11-29-2017, 10:35 PM

5,118 posts, read 3,418,195 times
I like the rug, and i like it in the bathroom.

Old 11-29-2017, 11:23 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,692,900 times
No rugs in the bath. Just like no glass over paintings. I'd be worried about mold and mildew smell due to the damp and humidity in the bathroom. Of course living in the Houston area, we have lots of mold problems and yes a rug like that would get musty. I'd hate to dry clean it. .. If it can be dry cleaned.

I'd put it in a hallway or even better - Hang it on a wall. Not in the bathroom!

Old 11-29-2017, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sollaces View Post
No rugs in the bath. Just like no glass over paintings. I'd be worried about mold and mildew smell due to the damp and humidity in the bathroom. Of course living in the Houston area, we have lots of mold problems and yes a rug like that would get musty. I'd hate to dry clean it. .. If it can be dry cleaned.

I'd put it in a hallway or even better - Hang it on a wall. Not in the bathroom!
I live on the dry side of Washington, and as I said earlier, humidity and mold are not problems, even in a bathroom. Orientals aren't dry cleaned, they are literally washed...by a professional rug cleaner. I've had all of mine washed at one time or another.
No rugs on walls here...there are actually paintings. With no glass.
The hallway and everywhere else already have rugs. This is specifically for the bathroom.

Old 11-30-2017, 07:06 AM

9,361 posts, read 14,111,535 times
Is the rug wool or is it silk? That might affect your decision. Wool does at least breathe. Is there a backing? Cheaper rugs have plant fiber backings that tend to get nasty. Are the dyes vegetable or mineral dyes? I think vegetable dyes might bleed if they get wet.

Old 11-30-2017, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
Is the rug wool or is it silk? That might affect your decision. Wool does at least breathe. Is there a backing? Cheaper rugs have plant fiber backings that tend to get nasty. Are the dyes vegetable or mineral dyes? I think vegetable dyes might bleed if they get wet.
It's a very good quality hand knotted wool rug with no backing and stable dyes. There is no concern about the durability and longevity of the rug itself. The dealer is a friend and a third generation Armenian rug importer, expert and dealer and he has orientals in his own bathrooms.

I've decided I like the look, but my concern right now is that given the high, vaulted ceilings in the bathroom and the tile and marble in there, it seems a bit more echo-y than it did with typical bathroom rugs. Maybe with a pad beneath it would be better. Still undecided.

We had initially tried this rug (attaching) and the length and width is a bit better but I don't like the colors as well. And this one attached has a slight curve that would need to be removed.
Attached Thumbnails
Oriental Rug in master bath-img_4033.jpg  

Old 12-01-2017, 06:19 AM

24,569 posts, read 10,869,900 times
If you enjoy it it fits. Currently we have a pre-1950 silk Shiraz in the master and it does well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating