Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2017, 05:14 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,744,831 times

Advertisements

Anyone ever done this? Trying to decide if I like the look or not. Leaning yes. Thoughts? Is it too long?
Attached Thumbnails
Oriental Rug in master bath-img_4049.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2017, 05:21 PM

61,722 posts, read 87,123,005 times
Looks good, but is it practical?
If a bathroom is used frequently, rugs need to be washed quite often. If several showers are taken in the same bathroom on a daily basis, the rug gets wet/damp multiple times. Since the rug is against a floor that doesn’t breathe well (if at all), it takes a long time to dry. Because of this poor drying between uses, mold and mildew grow easily. It really is the perfect condition for gross things to multiply quickly ( all kinds of fungi and mold.) Add in a damp, warm bathroom and that mold is just waiting to multiply.

However, oriental rugs in the bathroom are a new trend. They add color to the floor plus luxurious finishing touches.
https://www.apartmenttherapy.com/ori...athroom-170772
http://eatsleepdecorate.blogspot.com...-bathroom.html

Last edited by elnina; 11-29-2017 at 05:31 PM..

Old 11-29-2017, 05:21 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,054,754 times
Nothing wrong about an oriental in the bathroom-

But, "that" ain't it! Maybe if you did 2X3's in front of each vanity.

Old 11-29-2017, 05:37 PM

There are many photos with long rugs and they look just fine. Small rugs are more slippery.
https://goo.gl/tm9G95

Old 11-29-2017, 05:54 PM

Not sure why the pic looks so distorted here. The Rug isn't as wide as it looks here but does mostly fill the space it's in.
As for practicality, this particular bathroom has excellent ventilation fans and never gets hot and steamy. We wont be stepping on the oriental while soaking wet, there is space in front of both shower and tub for bath mats.

Old 11-29-2017, 05:57 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,999,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Looks good, but is it practical?
If a bathroom is used frequently, rugs need to be washed quite often. If several showers are taken in the same bathroom on a daily basis, the rug gets wet/damp multiple times. Since the rug is against a floor that doesn’t breathe well (if at all), it takes a long time to dry. Because of this poor drying between uses, mold and mildew grow easily. It really is the perfect condition for gross things to multiply quickly ( all kinds of fungi and mold.) Add in a damp, warm bathroom and that mold is just waiting to multiply.
. . .
Exactly right. Now, I understand that a nice carpet like that is great for foot comfort - no cold tiles in the morning! But you are almost begging for mold and mildew to strike.

Also, I don't like this particular carpet in this bathroom - I feel like it clashes with the geometric patterns of the tile. But that is totally visual, and totally on my taste.

I've known people to have carpeted bathrooms. My mom did once. Then a niece left the bath running and flooded the bathroom. That was the end of that carpet. I suppose you might use a synthetic, not wool, that might be better. I really don't know that, tho.

And if the carpet got damp and you had somewhere to set it to dry, it could work - but a wet oriental style carpet can take DAYS to dry out. I am not exaggerating. I have washed some of our carpets by hand, with a hose. And I don't do that unless we are going to have several dry days, so I can lay the carpet out on the fence to get lots of air. When our laundry room has flooded (periodic problem) the hallway carpet sometimes gets wet - and I will pick it up OFF the floor and put a fan on it to help it dry. I give it days.

Old 11-29-2017, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiero2 View Post
Exactly right. Now, I understand that a nice carpet like that is great for foot comfort - no cold tiles in the morning! But you are almost begging for mold and mildew to strike.

Also, I don't like this particular carpet in this bathroom - I feel like it clashes with the geometric patterns of the tile. But that is totally visual, and totally on my taste.

I've known people to have carpeted bathrooms. My mom did once. Then a niece left the bath running and flooded the bathroom. That was the end of that carpet. I suppose you might use a synthetic, not wool, that might be better. I really don't know that, tho.

And if the carpet got damp and you had somewhere to set it to dry, it could work - but a wet oriental style carpet can take DAYS to dry out. I am not exaggerating. I have washed some of our carpets by hand, with a hose. And I don't do that unless we are going to have several dry days, so I can lay the carpet out on the fence to get lots of air. When our laundry room has flooded (periodic problem) the hallway carpet sometimes gets wet - and I will pick it up OFF the floor and put a fan on it to help it dry. I give it days.
If it gets soaked because some kind of plumbing accident it will go to the Rug place and be professionally washed and dried. I have a lot of Orientals (one in my kitchen too that looks gorgeous)...just trying to decide if I like the look of one in the bathroom.

I've had one of my daughters spill a gallon of milk on one Afghan Rug and that same Rug was chewed by my border collie puppy. Thank goodness for good Rug spas. You can't even tell where they rewove the chewed section...even from the back.

Last edited by mistyriver; 11-29-2017 at 06:40 PM..

Old 11-29-2017, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistyriver View Post
just trying to decide if I like the look of one in the bathroom.
You said that you have an excellent ventilation in your bathroom. So it shouldn't be a problem.
The rug looks great, and when you click on my link you will see pictures of other bathrooms with similar rugs. They all look fabulous.
Do what you want and like, it's your house. A rug is not a permanent fixture hard to change.

Old 11-29-2017, 07:28 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
I actually don't care for the look. To me it is seems too busy for such a narrow seeming space.

If that is an actual, valuable rug, then I don't think I would put it in the bathroom, even if I did like the look. I would want to have a washable, or at least, a cleanable rug in the bath. With people standing in one place at the vanity, day after day, I would imagine wear spots and dirt would appear in certain spots. I just would not do this.

But hey, if money is no object, and valuable rugs can be easily replaced, then I guess it is OK if you overlook the devaluing of a handmade item that probably has been created with many, many hours of hand labor.

Old 11-29-2017, 07:38 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,472,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistyriver View Post
Anyone ever done this? Trying to decide if I like the look or not. Leaning yes. Thoughts? Is it too long?
I like it! I would center it, though.

I especially like the bear looking at the rug- NOT a bearskin rug! I’m going to steal your idea if I can find a rug similar, but in my color scheme.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating