Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2018, 06:21 AM

13,056 posts, read 18,116,584 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by djxpress View Post
I need help arranging my living room. There are a few limitations as described in my imgur photo captions.

I would like to utilize my fireplace. However, the cable for my tv comes out right below where the tv is currently located, so I probably want the tv to stay where it is. I really don't want to rewire the cable or run a cable on the ground or above the doors, since I think many people will say to move the tv to where the window is in the first picture.

Another issue is that the outlet located almost in the middle of the first picture is switched, both plugs. I don't think there is an easy way to make the outlet "half hot" with one plug always on and the other one switched, without rewiring and tearing into the walls, etc. Yes, I could leave the switch always on, but I like to utilize the switch to turn on one of my living room lights (the one on the left of the first picture).

I am also going to be buying a new couch, maybe sectional. So I would like to arrange the seating so I can still have the tv located where it is, while also utilizing the fireplace.

What are your thoughts?

living room pictures
In and of itself relatively impossible unless you want to toast your couch. Since you are a bachelor, do you always sit up or do you lie down and watch TV? Many that know lie down. If you do, then I would buy a couch placed perpendicularly to fireplace and tv and a chair and depending upon how you live maybe a recliner (yes ladies I said the R word, but he is single) for the opposite side.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2018, 07:23 AM

17,475 posts, read 66,054,754 times
Quote:
I already have a smart tv with netflix and amazon. Still want it connected to my DirecTV though.

It's always something!
Well, you did say the cable is coming through the floor; right? So, I'll assume you have a basement or crawl- go down and pull the cable back through, and run it to a new location. If it isn't long enough, add an extension- or, if your anal about the loss of signal strength just run a whole new line from the J-box on the exterior of the house; or the dish.

The extreme suggestion would be to eliminate the fireplace- yeah, get rid of it and have a whole new wall to fill with TV!

Old 02-10-2018, 11:44 AM

3,158 posts, read 4,591,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
It's always something!
Well, you did say the cable is coming through the floor; right? So, I'll assume you have a basement or crawl- go down and pull the cable back through, and run it to a new location. If it isn't long enough, add an extension- or, if your anal about the loss of signal strength just run a whole new line from the J-box on the exterior of the house; or the dish.

The extreme suggestion would be to eliminate the fireplace- yeah, get rid of it and have a whole new wall to fill with TV!
I agree with the wiring, if there a basement run the wires from below then up through the floor, we ran the soundround system through a wall that had closet on the other side, then up into the attic. I'd tear the the fire place out myself! Unless your a renter, then I can understand or just say you want keep the fireplace??... You might want buy a small sectional sofa and place it towards the side of the room with the window ..

Old 02-10-2018, 02:07 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
I was going to suggest that you mount the TV on the wall before I read the tip about the mount that swivels. We actually use something similar in our bedroom. But IMO, your TV cabinet takes up too much space in the narrowest part of your room.

If you mount your TV, and if it swivels, you can angle the sofa in the empty corner so that watching it is easy. You could then place chairs on either side of the TV to create conversational seating, for when you have guests. In your room, it will be hard to creat a TV room for multiple guests though.

The best solution, if you own the house, is to have cabling run under the house, and put a new TV plug in where you would like to have it. If you own the house, you can think of it as an investment in your enjoyment of the house.

I don’t think there really is an optimal solution to your dilemma, otherwise. Although, the Roku box solution sounds promising to me.

Sometimes we have to think outside the box, because there aren’t good solutions otherwise.

Old 02-10-2018, 08:19 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,990,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
If you own the house, you can think of it as an investment in your enjoyment of the house.

Sometimes we have to think outside the box, because there aren’t good solutions otherwise.
I think this is one of the best responses so far. I may just run the cable under the area rug to the wall by the window for now and eventually I'll go in the crawl space and rewire the cable so it's underneath.

Old 02-10-2018, 08:23 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Quote:
I think this is one of the best responses so far. I may just run the cable under the area rug to the wall by the window for now and eventually I'll go in the crawl space and rewire the cable so it's underneath.
That would definitely be the best idea.

Old 02-11-2018, 08:57 AM

14,488 posts, read 12,114,400 times
Moving the cable around to the corner by the window and re-wiring the outlet that is a problem are solutions that would not cost as much as you think, would not be destructive, and would solve the whole problem.

Old 02-11-2018, 10:32 AM

14,267 posts, read 6,956,122 times
Quote:
If you get a long cable, you could just string it along the baseboard. Try different arrangements until you find one you like. Then go through the hassle of restringing the cable under the floor.

Old 02-11-2018, 01:16 PM

Location: When things get hot they expand. Im not fat. Im hot.
2,521 posts, read 6,327,828 times
Not sure if this will work. Its easier for me to judge spacing IRL. Can you move the TV around the corner to the picture/map wall. Then you could have a sectional with one side on the old TV wall and the back facing the window by the front door. Cable wire would be behind the sofa.

Then the area behind the sofa could become your foyer. Again not sure of spacing. On the window wall Id like something tall to balance out the room. Maybe two tall storage cabinets/wardrobes and a low unit between to store your all stereo doodads and game stuff. The cabinet closest to the door could store a lot of those shoes. And maybe a coat or two if you don't have a coat closet. You could do this with open shelving but I prefer closed storage. Its neater. If theres room something behind the sofa like a sofa table/desk ,low bookcase, credenza.

I need to "see" things. If it were me I would use my existing sofa and couple kitchen chairs in various configurations to "see" how a sectional would work. One problem I see is will there be enough room to walk in front of the fireplace.

Also you need a LOT bigger coffee table.

Old 02-19-2018, 05:15 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,990,339 times
I think I figured out what I'm going to do. I will be getting a sectional sofa and putting along the first wall by the entrance (as can be seen in the first photo underneath the window). I will have the other part of the couch L shape coming towards the fireplace.

I'll keep my tv stand where it is and just mount a wall swivel so my tv is mounted on the wall and can be swiveled out towards the couch (90 degree angle). Then when not in use, I can just swivel it back to the wall.

This will open up the living room tremendously, as I may be able to put another chair or recliner directly in front of the tv if needed, or on the other side of the fireplace (where the ottoman is located in the first picture).

This layout will eliminate me having to rewire the electrical socket as mentioned in my first post. It will also free me up from having to run the coaxial cable to the wall under the window.

Thoughts?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating