Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2018, 01:04 PM

9,361 posts, read 14,119,343 times

Advertisements

People liked oak because the grain was so complex and obvious. It showed how wonderful nature could be.

Prior to that, in the 50's and 60's, veneers were thought to be decorative due to the intriguing grain pattern that could be pulled from a tangential spiral of wood cut from a log.

White or painted cabinets are a form of rebellion against that. More industrial, no element of "nature". All smooth and tamed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2018, 03:16 PM

26,746 posts, read 26,834,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
The same reason marble countertops are popular now, a trend.
Or why avocado green and mustard yellow kitchen appliances and floors were popular in the 1960s....this, too, shall pass.[/quote]

Old 04-21-2018, 03:45 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,179,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PS90 View Post
Just a thought, but in the '80's and '90's there were a lot less outlets - less TV channels, the internet was in it's infancy, etc. - to influence everybody's idea of style. If people had less other people telling them what they should want, and a lot less people telling them that their style was "out" and they needed to spend money to update everything, then maybe they were more likely to do what they wanted back then.
In the 1980s I was heavily influenced by the shelter magazine, Country Living. It was influential for a number of years. Oak was part of the country look. Before HG-TV became influential and certainly before the internet, there were aspirational shelter mags.

For quite a few years the country look was very popular.

When a new look hits the consciousness of the public, most of us can’t afford making major changes right away. The look we want, but that is mostly out of reach, becomes aspirational. It takes years for a look or style to percolate down, and so some styles can last a long time at various levels as they become doable for people. I do think oak kitchen cabs lasted way, way too long though. I had oak from 1980 untill 1999, in two kitchens. I was truly ready for change. Next cabs were cherry. Present ones are maple.

Old 04-21-2018, 04:32 PM

506 posts, read 510,693 times
I never really cared what other people think, or say what's in "style" because they are brainwashed by HGTV.

I like black and grey.

So either black or dark grey cabinets in the kitchen for me.

Old 04-21-2018, 04:39 PM

2,509 posts, read 2,499,452 times
Pickled oak is making a comeback

They call it whitewashed or weathered, but it looks like the old pickled to me

Old 04-21-2018, 05:06 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,558,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Bigger question is why are they suddenly hideous and unacceptable by all who watch HGTV now?

People are nothing if not fickle.

Lots of people are lemmings. Some designer says x is the new thing they all jump on that bandwagon.

Old 04-21-2018, 05:12 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,179,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Lots of people are lemmings. Some designer says x is the new thing they all jump on that bandwagon.
I think your post is just rude. You don’t know why people like the things they do.

Many times the new thing is a change, and often people do like change. I think changes in home decirating also often refllect cultural changes as well.

I do not believe people are lemmings, though.

Old 04-21-2018, 05:18 PM

2,218 posts, read 3,454,810 times
My last house had oak cabinets in both the kitchen and all 3 bathrooms. They were the light oak, builder grade wood. I would have changed them had I stayed in that house. They were just too "average" but the rest of that house was not average.

My current house has a white kitchen with white wood cabinets. I am not wild about them, but they look clean and different from my last place. They go really well with the counter tops.

Old 04-21-2018, 07:03 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,335,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I think your post is just rude. You don’t know why people like the things they do.

Many times the new thing is a change, and often people do like change. I think changes in home decirating also often refllect cultural changes as well.

I do not believe people are lemmings, though.
Trust me, most people are lemmings. If it's "As Shown On TV", they're in. If it's denigrated "On TV", they want to rip it right out and replace it with whatever's today's fad.

Old 04-21-2018, 07:17 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,657,996 times
Some people are unimaginative and go with whatever is presented as "popular."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating