Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2018, 07:19 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,647,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PS90 View Post
Just a thought, but in the '80's and '90's there were a lot less outlets - less TV channels, the internet was in it's infancy, etc. - to influence everybody's idea of style. If people had less other people telling them what they should want, and a lot less people telling them that their style was "out" and they needed to spend money to update everything, then maybe they were more likely to do what they wanted back then.
"Fewer," not "less."

Ugh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2018, 07:12 AM

4,724 posts, read 4,415,751 times
I had medium oak cabinets in the house we moved into in 1981. They were attractive and durable. When we moved 10 years later, the only choices I remember were oak, cherry, and that laminate with the wood trim .They had just started showing versions of the pickled oak as well as white washed.
I went with a light oak (not pickled but possibly bleached) with very nice molding and details.
In about 2005 I replaced the brass pulls with bronze (orb) and changed teh beige formica to a dark granite and also added crown molding.
I get compliments on my kitchen to this day, and people are truly surprised to learn that these are the original cabinets from 1990.
I like white cabinets, but I just fell like in 3 years or so they will seem sooooooo 2015 ish and we will be looking for something new and "fresh". I am thinking cherry will make a comeback. who knows.

Old 04-22-2018, 07:34 AM

5,118 posts, read 3,414,345 times
I like honey oak cabinets a lot more than the dark cabinets in my home today. I think they're cheery.

Last edited by Gorges; 04-22-2018 at 08:08 AM..

Old 04-22-2018, 08:31 AM

20,026 posts, read 20,835,571 times
Love honey oak cabinets. In kitchens at least.
Don't know why but hate honey oak bath vanities.
But yeah, honey oak in a kitchen, awesome.

Old 04-22-2018, 08:38 AM

41,951 posts, read 75,160,115 times
Why not?

Oak is a beautiful wood.

Old 04-22-2018, 08:57 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,584,054 times
I like oak cabinets, and where I live people are still using them in new houses.

Birch veneer was very popular here in the 80s/90s, and usually dark stained.

Old 04-22-2018, 09:44 AM

2,251 posts, read 3,269,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
"Fewer," not "less."

Ugh.
Seriously? You're chastising me for grammar on an internet forum?

Everyone loves a know-it-all...

Old 04-22-2018, 10:05 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,196,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
The same reason marble countertops are popular now, a trend.

Marble will go the way of honey cabinets....will be passe in the future.
Sure. I mean, marble counters have been a classic for over a century but any day now, their trend will be passe. Just because something happens to be popular right now doesn't mean it's going to be passe. Same with white cabinets. Yes, they are trendy at the moment but they are also classic. In a few years, they won't be trendy but they will remain classic.

As for oak, I personally find it unattractive. I found it unattractive 20 years ago, I expect to still not care for it 20 years from now. I think that people have access to many more choices now than they used to, so if anything, they are less likely to accept a dictate that there is one, and only one, material available, which seemed to be more the case in the past. At some point, you choice was oak or oak. Maybe pickled vs natural but that was about it. Now you can find many different types of wood and people can choose between more heavily grained like oak or something like maple with a much less over graining.

Personally I love having lots of options to choose from.

Old 04-22-2018, 12:49 PM

2,509 posts, read 2,495,422 times
The trends you see now will absolutely look dated in 5-10 years.

"White cabinet" is a very broad term. I have white cabinets. Guess what, they look dated. Because now it's all Shaker and straight lines and 20 years ago was about softer edges.

Ditto for marble and faux marble. Marble is a very broad term...what types of marble, veining etc.

I seriously laugh when people say that they have discovered a "timeless" decor piece or finish.

And what does dated even mean? That you can put a date on it? You can do that with literally everything

Old 04-22-2018, 01:39 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 4 days ago)

35,613 posts, read 17,940,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookspage View Post
The trends you see now will absolutely look dated in 5-10 years.

"White cabinet" is a very broad term. I have white cabinets. Guess what, they look dated. Because now it's all Shaker and straight lines and 20 years ago was about softer edges.

Ditto for marble and faux marble. Marble is a very broad term...what types of marble, veining etc.

I seriously laugh when people say that they have discovered a "timeless" decor piece or finish.

And what does dated even mean? That you can put a date on it? You can do that with literally everything
I completely agree. If you have fixtures/carpet/cabinets that look "dated" because you can tell they are from a style very popular 30 years ago but they still look nice, it's because they were good quality and you've taken care of them. Not something to be ashamed of!

If you hate the look, or if your stuff is worn out/broken/stained, replace it.

Otherwise if you like it keep it, IMHO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating