Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2018, 10:05 AM

41,971 posts, read 75,229,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VM1138 View Post
I've never heard of a person putting in cabinets they hate just to be trendy, or tearing up all their carpet for hardwood if they hate hardwood.
LMAO, are you kidding?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2018, 11:13 AM

4,233 posts, read 6,913,427 times
I've never liked golden oak. Never liked it growing up and never liked it now. It has nothing to do with HGTV. I've always been particular about design stuff and it's just not my person style.

Old 04-25-2018, 07:13 AM

3,546 posts, read 3,118,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VM1138 View Post

I've never heard of a person putting in cabinets they hate just to be trendy, or tearing up all their carpet for hardwood if they hate hardwood.
People who are preparing a house for sale often do just that. I'm a fan of carpet, but I ripped it out and installed hardwood floors because many buyers these days won't look at a house with carpeting.

Old 04-25-2018, 11:28 AM

18,478 posts, read 31,653,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney Creek View Post
People who are preparing a house for sale often do just that. I'm a fan of carpet, but I ripped it out and installed hardwood floors because many buyers these days won't look at a house with carpeting.

and while I understand your thought behind that, with todays choices in wood flooring, trust me, you most likely didnt pick out the color of wood I like....

I would have rather of had your carpet, because i wouldnt have of felt bad ripping it up, but I would have felt bad ripping up a perfectly brand new floor simply because I didnt like the color you chose.

i didnt mean this to insult you, just food for thought.

and regarding the golden oak kitchens, ugh, my mothers exactly circa 1985, when she did it. Funny, though, I didnt like her choice then, and i still hate it till this day. But when she becomes an angel, Im not updating squat, the price will reflect.

Old 04-25-2018, 05:03 PM

715 posts, read 1,074,404 times
Most likely because other woods and styles may have been more expensive.

Our first home was a new construction townhouse. We bought when we were still able to pick finishes. I recall the whitewashed oak and honey oak cabinets as being standard with a couple of finish options as well. You also had maple, cherry, and dark cherry with the mission style as options, but they just seemed unnecessarily expensive with it being our first place. While I can’t remember the exact cost, I do remember that it was cheaper to get the 3-sided gas fireplace and a built-in for the family room than to get those upgraded cabinets. In fairness, the kitchen was a pretty large u-shape with pantry cabinets and eat-in breakfast area, so a good number of uppers and lowers. Still, it was clear that oak was the cheaper choice. We chose the whitewashed look with the smoother light glaze finish. I liked the pinkish beige undertone, they were more neutral, and the material was better although both were oak. The honey oak looked too yellow-orangish and reminded me of cheap apartment cabinets in the basic finish. The honey maple was a much more polished and smoother finish and only highlighted how cheap the honey oak looked. This was in ‘98.

And really, I don’t see why people have to be happy just to find a home. Nothing wrong with making a home your own or wanting something that reflects your own tastes. Despite the many renovation shows, most people don’t have the time (and possibly additional budget) to do a lot of renovations once they are in their home. If they do, they are going to want to do the major stuff prior to move-in. They can’t do anything until after they close, so what does it matter to a seller or real estate agents?

I’m looking at my kitchen now and with it being smaller, a renovation wouldn’t be too bad, but as I think about the logistics, how we would have to deal with not having a kitchen, if something goes wrong, the time involved in selecting a contractor, materials, permits, etc. Then thinking about doing this while all of my other furniture is around, with all of the other things we have going on right now. The money already spent from the purchase and moving. Time spent from house hunting, going through the mortgage and purchase process. What if it’s not just the kitchen, because usually it’s not...

Oh, you can do all of this over time, you say? Why didn’t the previous owner renovate over time? They owned the property for 20-30+ years and it still looks like the day they moved in. In all that time, they may have put in some new windows, added some flowers and bushes, maybe a new furnace as needed - basically maintenance stuff. We seem to have even less time than ever, but we should be happy to spend top dollar on an outdated home and then spend even more money and time to renovate an old kitchen later. Ha! It took me two years to finally finish decorating my entry, living, and dining rooms and I still have hardly any wall art or family photos on display. We are busy people and then external life events... No, if we had bought an unrenovated home, we would have no idea when we would get around to a kitchen remodel. And we wouldn’t have been happy about that. Buying something renovated was absolutely the right thing for us.

Old 04-26-2018, 06:12 AM

3,546 posts, read 3,118,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
and while I understand your thought behind that, with todays choices in wood flooring, trust me, you most likely didnt pick out the color of wood I like....

I would have rather of had your carpet, because i wouldnt have of felt bad ripping it up, but I would have felt bad ripping up a perfectly brand new floor simply because I didnt like the color you chose.

i didnt mean this to insult you, just food for thought.
I hear you. In fact, until very recently I felt the same way. It's funny how you start to see this differently when you have a house for sale and a realtor tells you she's had a few buyers who won't step inside your house because you have carpet. Said in the same tone of voice as if she had said "you have an outhouse, not indoor plumbing." As if stepping inside my house might given them bubonic plague.

Took my house off the market for a year, because I didn't want to make a lot of expensive "improvements" that I personally will hate if I end up keeping the house. And I don't completely believe that these improvements are genuinely needed. But as time passes, I'm starting to think I will just do it.

I really don't get the germophobia surrounding carpet, but apparently it's real for some people. What an impressive social media persuasion campaign put on by the hardwood floor salesmen (IMO). There are germs everywhere, folks, getting rid of carpet won't really make that much difference. In fact, I think the previous generation, raised in carpeted houses, is healthier than the current one. Maybe carpet gives you a form of immunity. But that's a subject for another thread.

Old 04-26-2018, 07:29 AM

2,509 posts, read 2,499,452 times
Carpet never bothered me. That is easily and quickly replaced with new carpet (or wood). I kind of expect carpet somewhere in a house.

I did pass on houses that had too much wallpaper. I've been there, done that!

I think the best thing sellers could do is take down any wallpaper and paint the walls in a nice neutral

Old 04-26-2018, 04:30 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,179,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookspage View Post
Carpet never bothered me. That is easily and quickly replaced with new carpet (or wood). I kind of expect carpet somewhere in a house.

I did pass on houses that had too much wallpaper. I've been there, done that!

I think the best thing sellers could do is take down any wallpaper and paint the walls in a nice neutral
I agree!

Old 04-26-2018, 10:27 PM

1,781 posts, read 1,209,798 times
I regret removing the carpet. Allergies are worse than before. I think carpet kept the dust at floor level and now its more airborne.

I mean I do regret it for other reasons than that, just addressing the "health" aspect didn't even work!

And more to the point not sure why the question regarding cabinets made it sound as though oak equated to maggots or something. Its just a place to put your stuff. Not that important to me.

Old 04-27-2018, 08:42 AM

5,118 posts, read 3,422,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookspage View Post

Haha. I still laugh about selling our house 3 years ago. The agent made us take down the wallpaper that was on 2 of the kitchen walls, which we did, then the young couple that bought the house, who had never seen the kitchen with paper, ended up papering the same walls! You need to do what makes you happy.

Last edited by Gorges; 04-27-2018 at 09:27 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating