Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2018, 01:28 PM

468 posts, read 425,919 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I know this is the interior section, but I figured you all would have a good eye for putting together nice colors or at least things that attract the eye.

I'm trying to think of what color the siding should be on our home. We recently replaced the door and its Forest Green (I know, should have thought about that considering the siding choice was coming up in 2 years). The shutters are also Forest Green but we're open to changing those.

The main thing is deciding on what color the siding would be. I'm thinking Sage would work with the door and shutters, but my wife is leaning Greyish.

Any tips are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Exterior House Color (Door is Forest Green)-house-color-photo.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2018, 01:44 PM

1,532 posts, read 1,060,256 times
My phone doesn’t always pick up color well, but your roof looks to be green also? Is there a dark grey in the bricks?

I don’t think sage would look bad, but, OTOH, that is a lot of green. I lean toward grey as well.

It’s a lovely house.

Old 05-30-2018, 01:59 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,908,774 times
I like what you have.

Old 05-30-2018, 02:33 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,769,264 times
it's hard to tell color from that photo but what's wrong w/white siding? (btw, I think you know now - it's nice to have the front door a diff. color than the shutters, etc.)

Old 05-30-2018, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusano View Post
My phone doesn’t always pick up color well, but your roof looks to be green also? Is there a dark grey in the bricks?

I don’t think sage would look bad, but, OTOH, that is a lot of green. I lean toward grey as well.

It’s a lovely house.
Thanks!

Correct the roof is also green. I don't think there is dark grey in the bricks but the dark brown tends to look grey-ish if that makes any sense.

Old 05-30-2018, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
I like what you have.
Thanks!

That was also on the table as well. Simply keeping what we have and just updating the siding (its aluminum from the 80s)

Old 05-30-2018, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
it's hard to tell color from that photo but what's wrong w/white siding? (btw, I think you know now - it's nice to have the front door a diff. color than the shutters, etc.)
I've thought of white siding, but our neighbors have that already. Plus I like the trim of the windows being white to stand out from the other colors.

And you're right, I wish we thought of having a different door color earlier. My other thought is simply changing the siding color AND the shutters. But then the door wouldn't pop very much since its dark and under a porch.

Old 05-30-2018, 04:02 PM

17,473 posts, read 66,019,193 times
Keep the yellow/cream- it make a very good tri-color combination. Cream/gen/wht.

Old 05-30-2018, 04:06 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,908,774 times
I would worry most about what coordinates with the brick and the roof, since those cannot be changed easily. I don't think sage or grey would look right with your brick and the green roof.

What is the door made of? If you can get it professionally painted, I would paint it a red and leave all other colors as they are. If you don't want to mess with painting the new door, just leave it as is. There's nothing wrong with having door and shutters the same color. It's not required to "pop."

Old 05-30-2018, 04:30 PM

10,091 posts, read 6,422,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranredd View Post
Thanks!

That was also on the table as well. Simply keeping what we have and just updating the siding (its aluminum from the 80s)
You do know that with proper prep, aluminum siding can be painted and will last pretty much as long as any other good exterior paint job. Aluminum siding is durable too. If you're thinking of swapping it out for vinyl, I'd think about painting it before you spend the $$$ for new vinyl siding - the aluminum will outlast the vinyl.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating