Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2018, 10:51 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,167,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
From a Feng Shui perspective, the kitchen should be a light terra cotta, light orange, or very light yellow - green equals bile.

Just simple color psychology would tell you not to paint a kitchen blue or even gray (I know that's in style now, but it's not appetizing).
Green is a natural color in nature. I have noticed that it seems to get along with almost all other colors. Of course, an extreme chartreuse will not be as agreeable as a softer grayed green. But in general, it is an agreeable color. It can read cool or slightly warm, depending on the whether it tends toward yellow or blue. To say it is the color of bile is very strange.

I have a gray kitchen with yellow maple cabinets. My counters are gray as well. My dining area is painted the same color, and the food I make looks appetizing. Honestly!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2018, 08:11 AM

10,093 posts, read 6,436,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
My kitchen has white cabinets with nickel finished hardware, and black/gray granite countertops. So far I have tried 4 different paint colors and still can't find something I like. What I have tried so far:

Yellow (came with the house when I bought it) - I hated it. I felt like I was in a McDonald's

Light blue - reminded me of being in a doctor's office exam room

Medium gray - it was ok at first but eventually I felt like I was surrounded by concrete walls

Revere Pewter (current color) - I decided to try this color because it was so popular recently. It's ok, I don't hate it. But in my room it appears much too brown (I would describe it as the color of coffee with milk stirred in)

So I'm looking for more ideas. The kitchen is on the north side of the house so it gets very little natural light. I'm starting to look at some off-white colors that have a light gray mixed in. It needs to be something very light due to the low natural light in the room. But it has to be dark enough to have some contrast with the white cabinets. Let me know if you have any ideas.
Your kitchen sounds a lot like mine. except my countertops are old laminate in a bluey-gray color. They're low on my priority list to replace right now since I just moved in. The seller painted every room gray, no doubt on his realtor's recommendation. Like your kitchen, that color sucks up the light in mine. I am going to paint the walls a warm cream color. It will contrast just enough with the original white cabinets and will really brighten up the space. Eventually the entire first floor will be the same cream color as well. BTW, if you want to take a look at a sample, it's Valspar Veranda Jekyll Island Ivory (or close to that.) It's a historic color and goes well with my vintage house and antique dark-toned antique very nicely.

Old 12-19-2018, 11:09 AM

37,617 posts, read 46,006,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
If you look at paint pallets, there are very light, warm colors - can't describe - a combo of light yellow with light orange - very pale - is a very pretty, appetizing background.
As someone that really dislikes those colors in a kitchen, I would find those to be quite unappetizing.

Old 12-20-2018, 11:57 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,993,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I usually have a terrible time coming up with colors, but for some reason after I got started updating my kitchen, the color just came to me. I had to have it custom-mixed, as I could not find the color that I had in my head, on a color chip. I wound up getting three sample paints that were close, and mixed them in different batches and tried them on the wall. As soon as one dried, I knew that was it. So maybe you might like something similar.
It looks like a pale sage green in the pictures. I have that in my kitchen also, and I like it.

Old 12-20-2018, 12:37 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,432,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Green is a natural color in nature. I have noticed that it seems to get along with almost all other colors.
Considering I lived for many years with a never upgraded 60's kitchen with an avocado sink and other features I say no to the green.

Old 12-25-2018, 06:05 AM

4,514 posts, read 2,524,730 times
Ben moore silver bells.
Ben moore healing aloe.
Ben moore Wind Chime

Old 12-25-2018, 08:21 AM

2,509 posts, read 2,498,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
My kitchen has white cabinets with nickel finished hardware, and black/gray granite countertops. So far I have tried 4 different paint colors and still can't find something I like. What I have tried so far:

Yellow (came with the house when I bought it) - I hated it. I felt like I was in a McDonald's

Light blue - reminded me of being in a doctor's office exam room

Medium gray - it was ok at first but eventually I felt like I was surrounded by concrete walls

Revere Pewter (current color) - I decided to try this color because it was so popular recently. It's ok, I don't hate it. But in my room it appears much too brown (I would describe it as the color of coffee with milk stirred in)

So I'm looking for more ideas. The kitchen is on the north side of the house so it gets very little natural light. I'm starting to look at some off-white colors that have a light gray mixed in. It needs to be something very light due to the low natural light in the room. But it has to be dark enough to have some contrast with the white cabinets. Let me know if you have any ideas.
I would say a grey but it sounds like you've already eliminated those

North-facing rooms are tough. I can see why you aren't digging the grey in there

How about a cream or an off-white?

I've been using Gentle Cream by Benjamin Moore as I've been repainting this house. It goes very well with grey and white.

https://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/...am?color=OC-96

Another one I like is Swiss Coffee.

https://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/...ee?color=OC-45

They both show up lighter on the walls than they do on the monitor right now so maybe look at the room pictures

Old 12-26-2018, 05:58 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,662,473 times
OP, I have very much the same kitchen colors as you. When I redid my house, I had a consult with an designer who helped with with colors. I am a "color" person and have been for the 20 years in my home but I finally got tired of all that busyness. Based on the type of light I have, wood floors, etc, she recommended Manchester Tan. My whole house with the exception of some bedrooms and bathrooms, is Benjamin Moore's Manchester Tan. It is very boring but works well in different lighting. Some rooms it can appear almost gray, and others it's more cream, and it others you see more tan. It seems to work well enough in my kitchen which has white cabinets and white/gray/black granite. I agree with you about gray. I know it's the rage and it some places it looks fabulous, but depending on your house and the natural light, it can very easily tend to be gloomy.

It took some getting used to (the blandness) but it has allowed me to easily pop in colored accessories and artwork which is working out really well. I have to say, I am loving the soothing vibe of the "non color" house.

Old 12-27-2018, 08:13 AM

2,020 posts, read 1,124,631 times
Restoration Hardware Silver Sage might work nicely in your kitchen.

Old 12-27-2018, 08:25 AM

37,617 posts, read 46,006,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
It looks like a pale sage green in the pictures. I have that in my kitchen also, and I like it.
It is s mix of a silver and a sage. I love it...it’s calm and peaceful. Exactly what I was after.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating