Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2020, 02:11 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Not sure if it’s been mentioned yet, but I hate when a builder puts sliding doors in a dining area. In order to go through the door you must navigate around a table. For that matter, I don’t like anything in the way of sensible traffic patterns.

This seems to be common in newer homes, when they try to squeeze a bunch of features that would fit in a big house, into a small house.
I could do without sliding exterior doors for the rest of my life. And I am with you on clear traffic patterns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2020, 07:31 AM

2,691 posts, read 1,667,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
OMG, this can only be written by someone who never experienced the joy of being able to lie back in a tub with your head bent back over the rim of an old fashioned bathtub, instead of having your head bent back over your chest because the tub had a 90 degree angle to the shower wall.

Why on earth would anyone need two showers? How sad that a working couple wouldn't want to take a shower together. Yeesh. Why even live together?

Now, if the feature old-fashioned tub was the perfect tub, it would have the faucet in the middle of the tub on one side, so that neither of the two people who could lie in it together - would have to have the faucet digging into their neck.

Then, they could light some candles, get some bubble bath, ditch the cell phones, put on some music, and actually enjoy each other's company.

Hence, the opposite of wasted space. I highly suggest you suggest to your friends that they should start using their tub. Maybe buy them some nice bubble bath and some fragrant candles.

Maybe you have more time for long baths but I ( and 90% of the people I know) have only time for showers. I would rather have a long shower and nothing to clean up afterwards than a long tub bath and having to clean and rinse the tub after that.

If you are thinking of that steamy hot showers with a couple taking it at the same time together on a single shower head, I have only seen it in some PG-13 / R rated movies. You need two shower heads to take showers together in a same shower stall, mounted on opposite sides. And the shower area needs to be decent sized, with place for his and her toiletries. I have seen some long elongated shower areas with shower heads on opposite ends that they might as well have had 2 separate showers. Almost like a medieval dining table where the king and queen are sitting in the far ends of the table and no one on the sides in between.

Most people who have seen our twin showers and twin toilets absolutely love its design and usefulness. And two high powered and busy working couples plan to have an additional shower in the master bathroom when they build their home.

YMMV.

Old 01-08-2020, 07:39 AM

2,691 posts, read 1,667,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLonelyGoatherd View Post
this is lovely AND functional! This is what I want when we buy a house. I'd always thought I wanted a clawfoot tub until I read all of the accidents people have getting in and out. What ends up happening is nobody uses the tub so it just looks pretty.

And I realized that clawfoot stand alone tubs are really the pedestal sinks of the bathtub world. Where do you put anything? You have to get a shelf that lays across the tub.
I'm not a pedestal sink hater by the way. They just are useless in anything but a small guest bathroom. So really the stand alone tub is worse. Very pretty but not practical.

I have asked the people who have these stand alone middle of the room claw bath tub people how often they have used it

husband dentist and wife lawyer = Never.
husband hotel management and wife company executive - wife used it once.
Dual physician couple - Never.
Husnad executive and wife physician - wife used it once, but has no time for it.

I have yet to find anyone who uses it even once every 2 weeks.

Old 01-08-2020, 07:57 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
I know quite a few people who love taking baths - I'm one of them. I really dislike taking a shower. We've lived in our new house now for four months and I have yet to try out the shower, but I take a bath every day.

"Bath bombs" are gaining in popularity too so apparently people are taking baths.

My husband loves taking showers. He's in the shower as long as I'm in the bathtub so it's not like taking a shower is a time saver. Plus he cleans out the shower every time, just like I clean out the bathtub. Neither of us considers either chore to be particularly onerous.

Old 01-08-2020, 02:09 PM

8,007 posts, read 10,430,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamban View Post
I have asked the people who have these stand alone middle of the room claw bath tub people how often they have used it

husband dentist and wife lawyer = Never.
husband hotel management and wife company executive - wife used it once.
Dual physician couple - Never.
Husnad executive and wife physician - wife used it once, but has no time for it.

I have yet to find anyone who uses it even once every 2 weeks.
We don't have the stand-alone, middle of the room tub, but we have a big ol' jetted tub, and it gets used once a week or so. I use it on weekends sometimes and my daughter uses it as well. When she starts sports back up each summer (seasonal for school), she'll be really sore. She heads straight for the tub for an Epsom salt bath.

I like to just relax in the tub with a book.

Old 01-08-2020, 02:25 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,898,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
RE the above... When we re-did our family beach house we bought a refurbished clawfoot tub with really cool big feet and gorgeous brass hardware with a hand held shower head plus a big shower ring with a big natural rain head on it like you see in old pictures. It was really cool.

The downside is actually using these tubs. There's no place to put the soap. Or the shampoo. You immediately need to try to figure out a shelf, or a rack that will straddle the tub, or hang from the shower stand.... But those won't work if you use the shower curtain.

It is a pretty tub... but my brother who is still in the beach house is thinking about converting it to a nice big walk-in shower.
My grandmother's 1880s house included a clawfoot tub, but no shower in the bathroom. There was a wire soap container/basket which fitted over the edge of the tub (it could have also accommodated shampoo), and a removable white-painted wood and wire seat that also hooked over the tub's edges, so that bathers who might otherwise have difficulty rising from the tub could manage.

I have no idea if such practical contraptions are available today (a creative practical carpenter could no doubt replicate them), but that tub was in regular use by members of four generations until my grandmother's death in 1972, and I remember the soap container and bathtub seat being in place during my 1950s childhood. No doubt they preceded the '50s by quite a number of years.

Old 01-08-2020, 02:27 PM

14,316 posts, read 11,702,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Why on earth would anyone need two showers? How sad that a working couple wouldn't want to take a shower together. Yeesh. Why even live together?
We tried showering together, but I like the water really hot and I like it lukewarm. Either he was burning up or I was freezing. It didn't work.

On the other hand, we have three showers in this house (all in separate bathrooms), but the water pressure and water heater can't handle two people taking a shower at the same time. I like baths better anyway and since we both shower/bathe at night, it's not that hard to stagger the times.

Old 01-08-2020, 02:29 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,898,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamban View Post
Maybe you have more time for long baths but I ( and 90% of the people I know) have only time for showers. I would rather have a long shower and nothing to clean up afterwards than a long tub bath and having to clean and rinse the tub after that.

If you are thinking of that steamy hot showers with a couple taking it at the same time together on a single shower head, I have only seen it in some PG-13 / R rated movies. You need two shower heads to take showers together in a same shower stall, mounted on opposite sides. And the shower area needs to be decent sized, with place for his and her toiletries. I have seen some long elongated shower areas with shower heads on opposite ends that they might as well have had 2 separate showers. Almost like a medieval dining table where the king and queen are sitting in the far ends of the table and no one on the sides in between.

Most people who have seen our twin showers and twin toilets absolutely love its design and usefulness. And two high powered and busy working couples plan to have an additional shower in the master bathroom when they build their home.

YMMV.
"Twin toilets"?? Way too much "togetherness" for me!

Old 01-08-2020, 08:27 PM

14,316 posts, read 11,702,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
We tried showering together, but I like the water really hot and I like it lukewarm.* Either he was burning up or I was freezing. It didn't work.

On the other hand, we have three showers in this house (all in separate bathrooms), but the water pressure and water heater can't handle two people taking a shower at the same time. I like baths better anyway and since we both shower/bathe at night, it's not that hard to stagger the times.
*I meant, of course, HE likes it lukewarm.

Old 01-10-2020, 07:40 PM

2,556 posts, read 2,284,398 times
I took a bath the other day. The first one in about 5 years. I really am a shower person.

Anyway, okay, decide to take a shower as the bath in my new house is a nice deep one.
* Hot water ran out before it was full.
* Drain did not hold securely so water was draining throughout the entire bath. I jammed a washcloth into the overflow drain part, but it didn't hold back the water either, so it continued to drain out from both places. (Not sure if there is something wrong with my drain or I just didn't work it right, whatever).
* I was out of hot water, so couldn't really replenish the cooling and disappearing water.
* Read about one page of my book and had a couple of sips of wine before I gave up.
* Drained the tub and now wanted to wash my hair. There was enough tepid water to wet it down. Shampooed my hair and then rinsed it hanging under the faucet with cold water.
** After my hair dried, it felt filmy, I guess I didn't get all of the soap out.

Yeah, baths aren't for me. I'll stick with my nice, steamy shower. I even have a teak bench I can bring into the shower, if I want to sit down, which is something I enjoyed with cooler showers during the heat of the Summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating