Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 07:55 AM

394 posts, read 1,506,573 times

Advertisements

I have a question for all you experienced furniture painters! I have an old bookcase (large) that I might decide to paint. Well, I've used lemon oil on the wood many times and wonder if there's a way (or would I need to?) clean it so the primer would adhere to the wood? Or would that be necessary? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2008, 10:59 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,440,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KY Filly View Post
I have a question for all you experienced furniture painters! I have an old bookcase (large) that I might decide to paint. Well, I've used lemon oil on the wood many times and wonder if there's a way (or would I need to?) clean it so the primer would adhere to the wood? Or would that be necessary? Thanks!
I'm FAR from experienced but I do believe you have to sand the wood so the paint will cling. My sister then uses a tack cloth to sweep away the sanding dust.

My plan is to ask questions of the guy I buy the paint from.

Old 04-23-2008, 11:29 AM

1,318 posts, read 5,272,645 times
I have a question. Its about the "white furniture" thing thats popular
at the moment. I LOVE the look, but wonder if its popularity will fade
fast? I was talking to a friend the other day and she said , you should
always go with "classic" furniture, because the others will go out of
style. We are buying a new home and will be decorating and buying
new stuff. I just love the cottage chic look.
The model home in our floor plan is decorated with alot of distressed
white furniture,and lots of light and cool colors,ie tan,stone,aqua,kiwi,etc
I really like the look,but wonder if it would get old fast?

Anyone here decorated in that style? How long have you had it?etc

Greenchili

Old 04-23-2008, 12:24 PM

3,517 posts, read 13,262,871 times
Of course the popularity will fade. It's called advertising with the intent of making people think they need to buy new stuff. So what?

If you love the look and you aren't painting over a valuable antique, go for it. It's your house and your furniture. If the wood is decent, just sand enough to rough up the finish so the paint can grab it but don't remove it (unless it is wax). If somewhere down the road, you want to go back to stained, the former finish will form a sealer and you can strip off the paint and stain and varnish it at that point.

Old 04-23-2008, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
Of course the popularity will fade. It's called advertising with the intent of making people think they need to buy new stuff. So what?

If you love the look and you aren't painting over a valuable antique, go for it. It's your house and your furniture. If the wood is decent, just sand enough to rough up the finish so the paint can grab it but don't remove it (unless it is wax). If somewhere down the road, you want to go back to stained, the former finish will form a sealer and you can strip off the paint and stain and varnish it at that point.

Actually I WONT be painting over any furniture. We dont have
very much, it would be buying new.

Old 04-23-2008, 04:01 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,663,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KY Filly View Post

Even when staining, I would sand it off with 220 grit sandpaper...a very fine sandpaper. Now that I think about it...we didn't do that the last time. Primer is...glue, basically. It sticks to the surface...and paint sticks to it.

Old 04-23-2008, 08:50 PM

8,545 posts, read 10,274,687 times
I think the white shabby paint and mirrored cabinets would be awesome...I have seen pictures of your collection...go for it!

Old 04-23-2008, 09:45 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,440,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenchili View Post
I have a question. Its about the "white furniture" thing thats popular
at the moment. I LOVE the look, but wonder if its popularity will fade
fast? I was talking to a friend the other day and she said , you should
always go with "classic" furniture, because the others will go out of
style. We are buying a new home and will be decorating and buying
new stuff. I just love the cottage chic look.
The model home in our floor plan is decorated with alot of distressed
white furniture,and lots of light and cool colors,ie tan,stone,aqua,kiwi,etc
I really like the look,but wonder if it would get old fast?

Anyone here decorated in that style? How long have you had it?etc

Greenchili
This style has been in for alot of years. Sometimes its a crisp white, sometimes the edges are distressed. I have seen it done in a creamy white with a bit of stain over it to make it looked aged. I think to a certain extent, its timeless.

I prefer to buy old pieces and live with antiques but if you take a look at Ethan Allen, they have alot of painted furniture, the black is gorgeous. I still have 1960s era French provential furniture, the general style is still nice, it just needs to be painted over to update it. Thats the kind of furniture I like. I like to keep old stuff around.

I also don't think I like the look of everything being matchy matchy. I like mixing some painted items with regular wood. Now that I live in Florida I want things to be lighter so this is a way to accomplish that.

Do alot of research, look around at what is available, before you make a decision to buy a house full of something new.

In my house now, the love seats and upholstered chairs are new but the rest of the furniture is all very old, some of it 100 years old. I want to be comfortable and have things convenient but I love to have the antiques mixed in.

Old 04-24-2008, 02:39 PM

857 posts, read 4,879,328 times
I always use a product called "Liquid Sand" to "degloss" wood so that the primer will adhere to it. I am not the most patient person, and I lose interest in doing a good job sanding after about ten minutes. The liquid sand accomplishes the same thing with just a wipe of a rag.
When painting cabinets or furniture I paint the crevices with a brush, and then I use a small sponge roller over the whole thing to eliminate the brush strokes.

Old 04-24-2008, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
This style has been in for alot of years. Sometimes its a crisp white, sometimes the edges are distressed. I have seen it done in a creamy white with a bit of stain over it to make it looked aged. I think to a certain extent, its timeless.

I prefer to buy old pieces and live with antiques but if you take a look at Ethan Allen, they have alot of painted furniture, the black is gorgeous. I still have 1960s era French provential furniture, the general style is still nice, it just needs to be painted over to update it. Thats the kind of furniture I like. I like to keep old stuff around.

I also don't think I like the look of everything being matchy matchy. I like mixing some painted items with regular wood. Now that I live in Florida I want things to be lighter so this is a way to accomplish that.

Do alot of research, look around at what is available, before you make a decision to buy a house full of something new.

In my house now, the love seats and upholstered chairs are new but the rest of the furniture is all very old, some of it 100 years old. I want to be comfortable and have things convenient but I love to have the antiques mixed in.
Thanks! I dont like matchy matchy either We will take our time,
but I do know I love light and bright. Mix and match sounds like me!

Greenchili
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating