Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 06:58 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,031,892 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikenbacismama View Post
That would be a major dust collector in my house (note to self: I should really get up & clean everything on my potshelves), especially since we have limerock roads here.
LOL, it is my house, too, but i just keep the lights dim, and ply the guests with cocktails. They just go away talking about how much fun they had.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2008, 07:35 PM

1,309 posts, read 4,194,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
LOL, it is my house, too, but i just keep the lights dim, and ply the guests with cocktails. They just go away talking about how much fun they had.......
You definitely sound like good company!

Old 05-17-2008, 01:39 PM

965 posts, read 4,503,170 times
To Fairfax Mom, who is planning to redo her kitchen:

I don't have anything to add to this thread about the "fadiness" of stainless steel and granite. I just wanted to let you know that the:

2008 International Builders Show on HGTV will air on 05/18/08 at 8 pm ET/PT.

It might give mention to what's new, and you would certainly be able to see whether stainless steel and granite are still being featured on the show.

Good luck with your renovations!

Old 05-18-2008, 01:53 PM

692 posts, read 3,143,778 times
Stainless Steel and Granite will be the fad till the sales start to fall off.
Do you want Fad or do you want Practical ?
People do what they want and can afford.
I like practical ....with quality. ie. Corian/solid surface products.

Silverfox

Old 05-19-2008, 10:23 AM

34,967 posts, read 57,037,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgo View Post
To Fairfax Mom, who is planning to redo her kitchen:

I don't have anything to add to this thread about the "fadiness" of stainless steel and granite. I just wanted to let you know that the:

2008 International Builders Show on HGTV will air on 05/18/08 at 8 pm ET/PT.

It might give mention to what's new, and you would certainly be able to see whether stainless steel and granite are still being featured on the show.

Good luck with your renovations!
Well I watched the show on HGTV and I saw a lot of stainless. In fact all of the upscale appliances that were shown were in stainless. nothing in white or black that I saw. Viking had a number of upscale products in bright colors but they were all accented or had working areas covered in stainless. So I guess that for now stainless is here to stay. Who knows what 5 or 10 years will bring.

I guess if you really want to avoid a fad then go with white. White is the only color appliance that has been around forever. IMHO - I think that black appliances are a fad, more so than stainless. I really do not like black. Too dark. I think 20 years from now we will be looking back and saying "what were we thinking". More so than with stainless. JMHO, Jay

Old 05-22-2008, 08:54 AM

186 posts, read 794,962 times
I agonized over countertops, cabinets and new appliances when I updated my kitchen & bathrooms last year....bottom line, kitchen remodeling is big business like the fashion industry and relies on inventing ever-changing trends and fads to keep it alive. Who remodels their kitchen the moment it becomes a bit dated in order to keep up with the last word in trends??? I've learned that popular materials can also be regional. Seems Silestone is often preferred over granite in the NE. Why do people go nuts over granite?? Granite is a pain....it was not designed for kitchen countertop use...most importantly it isn't hygenic! It absorbs germs & stains, will crack, and must be re-sealed twice a year. I fret over the granite vanity top in my guest bathroom and make sure no water puddles or cosmetic spills sit on it for any length of time. I think granite is a nuisance product and eventually people will tire of the maintenance and move onto a better/more practical material. But that's just me, I'm sure the market in general disagrees as it's wildly popular at the moment. Go figure!

Old 05-22-2008, 10:37 AM

34,967 posts, read 57,037,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugnubs View Post
Seems Silestone is often preferred over granite in the NE.
I do not agree with this. Here in Connecticut granite is much more popular than Silestone. In fact I really do not know anyone with Silestone or a similar manmade product.

I think granite's popularity is because it is a natural product. It is varied and interesting and just plain beautiful. I know there has been concerns about its poriousness but I think that is truly overblown.

I remember years ago there was an Oprah show that had an expert on germs who went through a kitchen and demonstrated how germs from chicken were spread during preparaiton of a meal. After listening to him I thought if this is as bad as they are saying, we would all be dead now.

Granite needs to be sealed and if it is sealed properly it is fine. If it were such a bad product, don't you think the lawsuit happy lawyers would be all over this? Also what is to say that the elements in the man-made products aren't more toxic to you than the ones you face in granite? Jay

Old 05-22-2008, 12:29 PM

9,327 posts, read 16,677,955 times
[quote=Bugnubs;3847177]Seems Silestone is often preferred over granite in the NE. Why do people go nuts over granite?? market in general disagrees as it's wildly popular at the moment. QUOTE]

I have zodiaq which is a man-made product and think it is great. It requires no maintenance, is non-porous and is not as easily damaged as granite. I have granite in vacation home and personally preferred the zodiaq. Also have stainless steel appliances and hate them. Just another expensive fad so we can keep up with the Jones.

Old 05-22-2008, 05:22 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,031,892 times
Just the thought of having to seal granite with a petroleum product makes me shudder......

Old 05-22-2008, 07:02 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,918,474 times
I frankly think Corian is over rated;I had it in my last home and it stianed badly. Maybe why that fad has gone by the way side. I have a friend who does kitchen cabinets and he says thing s like soap stone and others are coming back;ost in expensive homes. Guess the rich don't want what is common really.It's kind of like wood floors;there are wood floors and then there are wood floors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating