Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 11:48 AM

24,569 posts, read 10,884,023 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
UGH! HGTV is the devil! Ha Ha!

I had such a hard time selling my last house, which had been totally renovated to brand new condition.
The problem was it didn't have granite/stainless/ceramic in the kitchen, walk-in closet in the master bedroom, or master bath with his/her sinks, seperate shower and jacuzzi tub.

Drove me nuts. Some people just get too brain washed from this stuff.
Like you just can't buy a home that doesn't have these features, it's illegal or something.
Ridiculous.
What DID you renovate to brand new condition?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2010, 12:02 PM

20,050 posts, read 20,861,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
What DID you renovate to brand new condition?
Everything. The entire house, in and out. brand new, or at worst, renovated/refurbished.
I'm poor, heh heh, so I cut some corners here and there.
I went with laminate counters in the kitchen, but the granite look-alike finish, rounded corners rolled lips, they were gorgeous.
White appliances and cabinets, but it all fit the look of the house, it was an older colonial-ish ranch. I was told flat out by my agent that people didn't necessarily bad mouth the decor, but were simply turned off by the fact that the kitchen was not stainlesscherryceramicgranite.
Also, at the time we did the renovation work we were living in the house, we did what we were comfortable with within our budget, it wasn't a flip-this-house thing, this was our home.

Old 02-05-2010, 10:07 AM

1,085 posts, read 2,233,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Everything. The entire house, in and out. brand new, or at worst, renovated/refurbished.
I'm poor, heh heh, so I cut some corners here and there.
I went with laminate counters in the kitchen, but the granite look-alike finish, rounded corners rolled lips, they were gorgeous.
White appliances and cabinets, but it all fit the look of the house, it was an older colonial-ish ranch. I was told flat out by my agent that people didn't necessarily bad mouth the decor, but were simply turned off by the fact that the kitchen was not stainlesscherryceramicgranite.
Also, at the time we did the renovation work we were living in the house, we did what we were comfortable with within our budget, it wasn't a flip-this-house thing, this was our home.
What was your asking price? Was it the same as a house that would have granite/ss/cherry? You also mentioned you cut corners. If the work was sloppy, that would be a major turn off to most buyers no matter what the price.

Old 02-06-2010, 09:35 AM

Top notch workmanship by yours truly.
Corner cutting was using laminate instead granite etc...
House was priced competitively and right for the condition of the house, that's what killed me, we were almost giving it away and people still stuck their nose in the air.
In fact we were below all of our direct competition as far as price, and quality too as far as I was concerned.

It was a small starter home, most of the potential buyers were credit criminals and first time buyers, so I think that had something to do with it as well.

Old 02-09-2010, 09:01 PM

621 posts, read 1,054,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairfax Mom View Post
It seems everyone want stainless steel and granite kitchens but I remember when everyone wanted gold, olive and almond appliances.

Some people will say SS, dark cabinets and granite is classic but I have a feeling it will look dated in 10 years.

What is the newest trend?
I think this is already on its way out.

What's in now is dark warmth with modern appliances and detailed workmanship.

TALL cabinets (to the ceiling) are coming back in as well as hutch type cabinets.

Old 02-19-2010, 08:05 AM

18,471 posts, read 31,643,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
Agree wholeheartedly! I feel the same way, when I see those folks walking into a perfectly good and functional home....nothing broken, cracked, stained, etc. It's pretty rare to watch any of those shows and have someone walk into a home and say, "You know, it's not exactly what I would have chosen for myself, but you know, it's sound.....It'll work just fine! I can do something with this!"

Nope, generally they say, "Oh....this is just AWFUL...we'll have to gut the kitchen and redo...and the bedroom, oh I HATE the paint color and we'll have to pull out that new carpet and do hardwood throughout.... the bathroom looks soooo dated! That's just gonna HAVE to go." At our home?...we say, "Oh are you fricking kidding me!!??"

One of my favorites is the first time home buyer guy who says to the wife, the appliances look dated. Like he would really know about appliances, then the camera shows you these white appliances that look absolutely spotless, and you know there is nothing wrong with them.

I just say to the TV, (like an idiot) No, you moron, you just don't like the white appliances, they are not dated... DUH !!! and you dont have to like them, but at least say you dont like them.

On property virgins a couple told Sandra the house looked dated, she looked at them and said, in a bewildering voice ....really????
the house is only 4 years old..........bet they felt dumb.. LOL

Old 02-19-2010, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post

On property virgins a couple told Sandra the house looked dated, she looked at them and said, in a bewildering voice ....really????
Typical HGTV market sheep.
They didn't immediately see granite or stainless so the house is "dated".
To these sheeple, anything lacking stainless or granite is "dated".

Old 02-19-2010, 08:59 PM

648 posts, read 1,174,899 times
I think if you chose excellent quality and craftsmanship, and don't go with a look that is too extreme in any direction.. just a clean, simple look and lines.. it will always be classic and stay 'in style' forever. I don't worry about trends. As for granite.. I fail to see how something that is totally natural, has been around for millions of years and is virtually indestructible could ever go out of style!

Old 02-20-2010, 04:09 PM

2,412 posts, read 7,178,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by opalminor View Post
As for granite.. I fail to see how something that is totally natural, has been around for millions of years and is virtually indestructible could ever go out of style!
I agree. Granite and stainless have gone from being an elite, rare choice found only in the most high end homes to being de rigueur in upper middle class suburban houses in large part because of the timelessness of these finishes.

While there will always be something newer and more exclusive right around the corner, granite and stainless have now been around long enough as a mainstream choice (nearly 20 years) that they will likely be just one more commonly found option that consumers have for quite a long time to come.

I will add, however, that I think COLORS now in fashion will ebb and low. The currant penchant for darker wood cabinets and dark counter tops is very much subject to being a fad, I think. Just as harvest gold and avocado green were hot looks that flamed out, the dark look could very easily run its course and become out of fashion.

Old 02-21-2010, 10:32 AM

4,156 posts, read 11,011,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
One of my favorites is the first time home buyer guy who says to the wife, the appliances look dated. Like he would really know about appliances, then the camera shows you these white appliances that look absolutely spotless, and you know there is nothing wrong with them.

I just say to the TV, (like an idiot) No, you moron, you just don't like the white appliances, they are not dated... DUH !!! and you dont have to like them, but at least say you dont like them.

It's a shame really. I like Sandra Rinamato as a host and everything but seriously those first time home buyers are flat out morons (most of them). So I don't know if it's always granite and stainless issue (which I've never liked anyway) or just the fact that people in general are just content to be told what to like and what to buy....it's bizarre.

Shiny dark granite cherry cabs and stainless steel appliances combo should go away ASAP with the decline of new housing construction....I hope.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating