Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2009, 06:34 PM

3 posts, read 25,254 times

Advertisements

I am closing on a house in the next 6 weeks with white cabinets. Personally, I don't particularly like them, but there are simply too many to replace. And, my priority will be to replace the countertops & flooring, and a couple of the appliances instead. Not to mention other things in the house I will need to address. Another reason I can't replace the cabinets is that the house comes w/ a subzero white fridge that blends in with the white cabinetry.

So my questions are ..... can anyone recommend a decent granite choice to complement the white cabinets? The kitchen / breakfast area is huge, and there are a lot of cabinets in there, plus an island. Also, there are a lot of windows, and can lights, so lighting is not a problem at all. The appliances that will stay are black (double oven, microwave).

I like the Mannington Serengeti Slate type flooring; also Mannington Tuscan Valley flooring (Sandalwood). I am into neutrals, but tend to lean towards darker granites.

If anyone has a picture of a similar type kitchen they could post, that would be great. I'm more a visual person. =)

Thanks!

Old 03-07-2009, 07:38 PM

1 posts, read 3,623 times
Default Ohhh crap, we might buy a house w/ white cabinets...HELP

So we found the perfect lot (BIG, beautiful, wooded, easy maintenance, private), a very well-built home, great value/neighborhood, and we want to make an offer (after a year of looking!). Unfortunately, it was built in '98 and has a formal feeling of white cabinets with grayish marble in the kitchen and the great room. Besides sanding and painting, what color scheme could we use on the walls and furniture and design to make the white cabinetry work w/out having a dated feel?

HELP!

Last edited by hollymoff; 03-07-2009 at 07:39 PM.. Reason: Forgot a word.

Old 03-09-2009, 07:15 AM

41,958 posts, read 75,192,887 times
^^^Didn't you read the whole thread? White cabinets are not out of style.

Old 03-09-2009, 08:28 PM

4,334 posts, read 13,661,904 times
I have white cabinets and I love them. Next I want that new stainless steel look appliances. White cabinets, a black pebbled granite countertop and stainless look stunning! With this choice it leaves you open to adding many colors in over the years on accessories or even the wall color if you get tired of your kitchen!

Old 09-04-2009, 01:55 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,018,970 times
I agree it may be a demographic thing. Living in the deep south - MS & FL & GA - white cabinets are popular. I have them in my home in FL in a shaker style with pewter knobs, plastered walls - decorative tile back splash and concrete counter tops done in a light gray-green color called Dolphin. . It is a clean, breezy look. I love looking at it. If you put a well done "white kitchen cabinet" kitchen next to a "wood cabinet" kitchen - I would pick the white every time. I also love wide painted white molding - so maybe it is just me

Old 09-04-2009, 02:24 PM

1,638 posts, read 4,550,200 times
I think white is stylish and is certainly big in Europe

Bespoke Kitchens | Fitted Kitchens | Magnet kitchens (http://www.magnet.co.uk/kitchen_collection.asp - broken link)

Cooke & Lewis Kitchen Doors & Drawer Fronts, Kitchen Ranges, Kitchens

Old 09-04-2009, 05:16 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,658,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
I agree it may be a demographic thing. Living in the deep south - MS & FL & GA - white cabinets are popular. I have them in my home in FL in a shaker style with pewter knobs, plastered walls - decorative tile back splash and concrete counter tops done in a light gray-green color called Dolphin. . It is a clean, breezy look. I love looking at it. If you put a well done "white kitchen cabinet" kitchen next to a "wood cabinet" kitchen - I would pick the white every time. I also love wide painted white molding - so maybe it is just me
It is a demographic thing but not in the south. Figures show more white cabinets are sold in the New England area then any other.

I still get a kick out of all the people who come on here saying they will only choose white because it is so popular yet much less then 10% of all cabinets sold in America are white.

Old 09-04-2009, 05:28 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,658,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan42 View Post
I think white is stylish and is certainly big in Europe

Bespoke Kitchens | Fitted Kitchens | Magnet kitchens (http://www.magnet.co.uk/kitchen_collection.asp - broken link)

Cooke & Lewis Kitchen Doors & Drawer Fronts, Kitchen Ranges, Kitchens
You are correct. White as well as that straight boring clean line faceless cabinet is popular in Europe. I gotta tell ya Sue, those cabinets would not sell here in the USA. Which is why those web sites are from the UK. We in the USA do not like frameles and they do not like framed like we have here. If the taste of Americans ever started going toward that boring straight line faceless cabinetry look then I will close the store and throw away 30 years in the biz.

The only semi successful frameless cabinet in the USA is that ultra junk IKEA because it is so cheap. But honestly you could get better quality boxes from behind the grocery store where they throw out all the corrugated cardboard.

Old 09-04-2009, 05:50 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
You are correct. White as well as that straight boring clean line faceless cabinet is popular in Europe. I gotta tell ya Sue, those cabinets would not sell here in the USA. Which is why those web sites are from the UK. We in the USA do not like frameles and they do not like framed like we have here. If the taste of Americans ever started going toward that boring straight line faceless cabinetry look then I will close the store and throw away 30 years in the biz.

The only semi successful frameless cabinet in the USA is that ultra junk IKEA because it is so cheap. But honestly you could get better quality boxes from behind the grocery store where they throw out all the corrugated cardboard.
Eh. I love frameless clean lined 'boring' cabinets. We have those in our house right now and they're gorgeous and we get tons of compliments on them.

Honestly, I think plan white flat cabinets look loads better than gaudy cherry or oak, but maybe that's just me.

Old 09-04-2009, 07:40 PM

2,325 posts, read 5,509,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Eh. I love frameless clean lined 'boring' cabinets. We have those in our house right now and they're gorgeous and we get tons of compliments on them.

Honestly, I think plan white flat cabinets look loads better than gaudy cherry or oak, but maybe that's just me.
I'm with you JetJockey. I love the sleek, European-syle frameless cabinets. The framed ones usually remind me of suburban tract houses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating