Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 07:38 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,291,156 times

Advertisements

I personally would never buy permanent fixtures for my home that were made in China. This includes cabinets, light fixtures, etc. I will pay more for something made in the USA. This usually means doing a lot of research and being careful about what I buy but if I am going to criticize Chinese manufacturing it would make no sense for me to buy cheap shoddy Chinese goods myself.

I mourn and lament the death of American manufacturing because the quality of our manufacturing is usually unsurpassed by Chinese, Mexican, Taiwanese, etc manufacturing. Canadian and western European manufacturing is as good as American manufacturing in general. My dishes are Fiesta ware because that is one of the only tableware companies that still manufactures its products in the United States. Even Oneida (flatware) has offshored its manufacturing to China. If you have an older Oneida pattern made in the USA, the Chinese-made flatware of the same pattern is not an exact match. The pieces do not even have the same weight/finish. It is ridiculous. Chinese-made fixtures usually look and feel cheap compared to their north American/western European counterparts. But I digress!

If you are going to go through the inconvenience and expense of renovating your kitchen I urge you to not cut corners. Kitchens and bathrooms often sell houses. Even if you have no plans to sell anytime soon, you have to live every day with what was installed in your kitchen. Why deal with cheap flimsy cabinets when you can spend a bit more and get something better?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2009, 09:25 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,662,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbbohenn View Post
We restored a house in Alabama three years ago and bought cabinets from a local well know company. This is the 5th house we have restored and the first time buying cabinets made in china. The cabinets we received were assembled on site with no missing parts ( they provided extra ones like shelf holders) the hinges were heavy duty. They are all wood with great looking finishes on all sides, the insides were finished well. All drawer sides work well 3 years later with no problems with any finishes scratching. We purchased Glass doors for the uppers and they gave us credit on the solid ones. Matching bullnose was avaliable.
We are about to restore a home in St Augustine Florida and after looking here at what is avalible with only solid wood fronts and or over the top price on sollid wood avaliable We without question install the cabinets we purchases last that were made in china.
I do not agree with the china goverment and its methods buy lets remember either does our goverment as china holds the bulk of the us debt. We are helping the workers both in china who make the product and in the usa who truck, assemble, and install them. We also Paid $ 4500.00 foa a $ 17,000.00 kitchen. Robb
I do not agree with any of your assessments of China cabinets. Probably because they just ain't true. Since my initial posts on what pure, total and complete trash they are, my word is even stronger now after some recent encounters with that garbage.

I wont go into it all now but what I want you to do is next time you buy that China junk, when you are standing with your hand on your heart while saying Pledge of Allegiance I want you to think about the 9 million Americans who are out of work, losing their homes, struggling to feed their kids, cant even go to the doctor for a check up because they cant afford it, dont know when they will receive that pink slip and on and on.

After you collect those thoughts then tell me if you can still put your hand on your heart and keep a straight face. I dare you.

Old 07-03-2009, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I personally would never buy permanent fixtures for my home that were made in China. This includes cabinets, light fixtures, etc. I will pay more for something made in the USA. This usually means doing a lot of research and being careful about what I buy but if I am going to criticize Chinese manufacturing it would make no sense for me to buy cheap shoddy Chinese goods myself.

I mourn and lament the death of American manufacturing because the quality of our manufacturing is usually unsurpassed by Chinese, Mexican, Taiwanese, etc manufacturing. Canadian and western European manufacturing is as good as American manufacturing in general. My dishes are Fiesta ware because that is one of the only tableware companies that still manufactures its products in the United States. Even Oneida (flatware) has offshored its manufacturing to China. If you have an older Oneida pattern made in the USA, the Chinese-made flatware of the same pattern is not an exact match. The pieces do not even have the same weight/finish. It is ridiculous. Chinese-made fixtures usually look and feel cheap compared to their north American/western European counterparts. But I digress!

If you are going to go through the inconvenience and expense of renovating your kitchen I urge you to not cut corners. Kitchens and bathrooms often sell houses. Even if you have no plans to sell anytime soon, you have to live every day with what was installed in your kitchen. Why deal with cheap flimsy cabinets when you can spend a bit more and get something better?
Raise your hat to a Patriot here fellow CD members.
I rarely am for a lack of anything more to add. Now I am. BigD said it all, the goods the bads and the no choice.

Old 07-03-2009, 06:49 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,007,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
I do not agree with any of your assessments of China cabinets. Probably because they just ain't true. Since my initial posts on what pure, total and complete trash they are, my word is even stronger now after some recent encounters with that garbage.

I wont go into it all now but what I want you to do is next time you buy that China junk, when you are standing with your hand on your heart while saying Pledge of Allegiance I want you to think about the 9 million Americans who are out of work, losing their homes, struggling to feed their kids, cant even go to the doctor for a check up because they cant afford it, dont know when they will receive that pink slip and on and on.

After you collect those thoughts then tell me if you can still put your hand on your heart and keep a straight face. I dare you.
I wish I could rep you again, but they wont let me! Chinese made ANYTHING is crap!!!!!!
Seriously, I have been an interior designer for many years, and have seen nothing but the decline of the quality of casegoods and and upholstered furniture since they sent all the factories overseas.

Old 07-04-2009, 06:05 AM

2 posts, read 11,558 times
We are a family full of vets, Problem is is that one reason our country is in such trouble is that for too long we have kept our " we can do no wrong heads in the sand ' There is world of people out there while we in the usa have been partying and living on credit and Bass boats the world goes on as it has for thousand of years It grows . We have been in a never ending party and guess what its over. If it was not for other countries we would be totaly bankrupt right now. Face the facts and quit hiding behind the flag To question someone you do not know and his family ! Grow up.

Old 07-12-2009, 04:44 PM

3 posts, read 23,306 times
I am also considering Chinese-made cabinets for my kitchen remodel. I just can't afford $15k (including tax and installation) for a custom set made here in the USA by illegal immigrants who work the small mom and pop shops here in Los Angeles.

I'm not saying illegal immigrants are bad, I'm just saying I can't afford the locally made cabinets. I've actually taken a tour of a local manufacturing shop.

The Chinese-set is about $6500 (inc tax and installation). I can get the granite for the countertops, the sinks and faucets, the tile for the floor, and tile for the backsplash...for $15k. The floor tile is from Spain, the granite comes from Brasil (processed in China), and the wood apparently comes from Russia (?).

Anyways, what I want to know is what are the parameters in terms of wood thickness considered good for kitchen cabinets? The Chinese-made cabinets use 1/2" plywood for the casing, but the front doors (frame) and drawers are made from 5/8" solid wood. No particle board (MDF) used at all.

In fact, these Chinese-made cabinets are considered their medium-quality ones (not the really low end ones that use only particle board (MDF)). The really low end Chinese cabines are not good in my opinion. So, you have to look at the construction of these cabinets to determine what you are buying.

The custom cabinets that I saw at the local factory used compressed wood (3/4") in the base cabinets with a 3/4" plywood backing for attaching to the wall. These were the $15k cabinets. So, only the front doors and drawers were made of solid wood even in these custom cabinets.

I'm going to Home Depo to see how the American made cabinets are constructed. I'm curious to know how USA-made cabinets are constructed.

I'm guessing that the quality of the USA-made cabinets also depends on the price.

I have a friend who remodeled his house and he used a cabinet maker that specializes in homes for the stars. He paid over $25k for his kitchen cabinets (just the cabinets) and they look amazing. Unfortunately, he can barley afford his mortgage payment (had to take a home equity for the remodel).

So, here I am looking at Chinese-cabinets to see if they will last.
Attached Thumbnails
Kitchen cabinets made in China-chinesecabinetspecs.jpg  

Old 07-12-2009, 05:47 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,291,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiserlegolas View Post
I am also considering Chinese-made cabinets for my kitchen remodel. I just can't afford $15k (including tax and installation) for a custom set made here in the USA by illegal immigrants who work the small mom and pop shops here in Los Angeles.

I'm not saying illegal immigrants are bad, I'm just saying I can't afford the locally made cabinets. I've actually taken a tour of a local manufacturing shop.

The Chinese-set is about $6500 (inc tax and installation). I can get the granite for the countertops, the sinks and faucets, the tile for the floor, and tile for the backsplash...for $15k. The floor tile is from Spain, the granite comes from Brasil (processed in China), and the wood apparently comes from Russia (?).

Anyways, what I want to know is what are the parameters in terms of wood thickness considered good for kitchen cabinets? The Chinese-made cabinets use 1/2" plywood for the casing, but the front doors (frame) and drawers are made from 5/8" solid wood. No particle board (MDF) used at all.

In fact, these Chinese-made cabinets are considered their medium-quality ones (not the really low end ones that use only particle board (MDF)). The really low end Chinese cabines are not good in my opinion. So, you have to look at the construction of these cabinets to determine what you are buying.

The custom cabinets that I saw at the local factory used compressed wood (3/4") in the base cabinets with a 3/4" plywood backing for attaching to the wall. These were the $15k cabinets. So, only the front doors and drawers were made of solid wood even in these custom cabinets.

I'm going to Home Depo to see how the American made cabinets are constructed. I'm curious to know how USA-made cabinets are constructed.

I'm guessing that the quality of the USA-made cabinets also depends on the price.

I have a friend who remodeled his house and he used a cabinet maker that specializes in homes for the stars. He paid over $25k for his kitchen cabinets (just the cabinets) and they look amazing. Unfortunately, he can barley afford his mortgage payment (had to take a home equity for the remodel).

Honest opinion? Wait until you can afford quality.

Old 07-12-2009, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiserlegolas View Post

So what is more important to you? Giving you and your kids cancer or saving a few dollars on a kitchen that will last you 3 years at most? I beg of you to tell us your answer but you probably are one of those one hit one post wonders that post and never come back.

What the hell is the difference what kind of wood they use. It is infested with toxins that you will breath. NO THEY ARE NOT SOLID WOOD. There is no such thing as a solid wood cabinet. There are plywood, particle board and MDF...period. You see 5 ply plywood and call it solid wood and it is not. You are wrong about getting an inexpensive cabinet. It is cheap because it is junk. Have you read the other posts? Of course not, you learned nothing because you did not read.

There is no such thing as medium quality Chinese cabinets. They are all junk. And there is nothing wrong with particle board, it is a far superior material to use for cabinety. Do you think the furniture in Ethan Alan is solid wood? Think again. it is veneered PB. Solid wood would warp and blow up from the pressure of glued in place assembly. You go ahead to Home Depot. You will see quality Kraftmaid, Shanandoah and maybe even Shilo but they are cabinets. Only HD charges full list price as did your dummy friend.

I too did cabinets for the stars, many many of them. And none of them are losing their homes as you suggested. I wont even begin to set you on the right track because you are quite obviously a Walmart shopper who walks the Walmart isles with your head bowed low thinking about all the millions of AMERICAN workers who are unemployed because of people like you.

That brochure you showed is trash. If you believe that then you deserve what you get. I hope it's only asthma rather then cancer.

Old 08-11-2009, 12:23 AM

I went ahead and purchased the Chinese made cabinets and hired an American company (based in Los Angeles) to install them. This was 2 American workers to help keep Americans employed.

The boxes are made of 1/2" plywood all around (no MDF). The drawers are 5/8" dovetail wood and the doors are 5/8" birchwood. I ordered glass on half of the top cabinet doors. This includes 4-pullout shelves for bottom drawers and a double-bowl sink.

The price of the cabinets was 1/3 the price of Home Depo's quote. The installation price is similar to the quote from Home Depo since they used 2 American workers to install, so not much savings on the installation (except for removing Home Depo as the middle man).

I had 34 feet of linear walls (23 for the corridor kitchen and 11 feet for the adjacent laundry room). The floor tile (ceramic tiles for 190 sqft), the granite countertops (3 9-foot slabs of "New Venitian Gold" with 6" granite backsplash), and the cherry-stained cabinets came out to $11k including tax and installation of the floor, countertops, and cabinets.

I had the installers re-inforce the base cabinets with strips of plywood going across the base cabinets. This was included in the price. Moreover, the cabinets themselves have screws all around (every 5 inches) holding all the side/top/bottom panels together, so the boxes look very strong.

I'll post pictures when everything is done. I did spend another $3k demolishing the kitchen, opening up a wall, and re-doing some of the electrical work like installing new recessed lights and moving electrical outlets and light switches to make room for the 6" granite backsplash and cabinets. Hired another 2 American workers to help the economy and keep them employed, so there's only 8,999,996 unemployed Americans thanks to my actions.

I might have to hire a plumber to install my dishwasher and 2 sinks. Another electrician/plumber to install my new Kenmore over-the-range microwave oven with a vent to the outside. I can do some of these things myself, but my day job keeps me at the office most of the day. It's down to 8,999,993, so I'm really contributing to the cause.

I would like to hear from other homeowners who have installed Chinese kitchen cabinets to see what their experience is. I don't want to hear from professionals like desertsun41 who turn this into a political debate. I've read enough of his posts and don't really care for his responses and the army of political activists. It's all the same -- bashing Chinese cabinets and bring back protectionist measures (like tariffs) to protect American jobs. By the way, my American company is outsourcing most of the technical/financial jobs to India and Asia, so I might be next but that's life. I hold no grudge. I learned in business school that it's survival of the fittest -- adapt or die.

Any other homeowners with positive experiences so far with Chinese cabinets? I want to hear from the non-professionals who installed cabinets. I've read enough horror stories to know that Home Depo/Lowes/IKEA put out their share of crap. There's mom and pop shops locally who do horrible jobs as well and for 3 times the price.

Last edited by cruiserlegolas; 08-11-2009 at 12:54 AM..

Old 08-11-2009, 01:14 AM

Re: I too did cabinets for the stars, many many of them. And none of them are losing their homes as you suggested.

Are you a moron? When did I say my friend was a star?

I said he used a cabinet maker who makes cabinets for the stars. He used exotic woods for his cabinets. He can barley pay his mortgage because he overspent on his remodel including a $70k kitchen.

I guess in Texas nobody is losing their home because Texas is a republic and they take care of their own. In California, there's lots of people losing their homes..cuz we used to be a republic, but now we are a state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating