Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 09:05 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,025,167 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarryEyedSurprise View Post
Hmm. The door up top where the (lack of a) refrigerator is goes to the formal dining room, kinda need it there =/ As for the sink, the reason I like the peninsula is because it doesn't mean I am facing a wall when I am washing pots. However, those windows at the bottom of the drawing face our screened in porch... which is nice, but not as scenic as a backyard - though we will be fixing it up as soon as the other "musts" in the house are dealt with.
The problem is that the angled peninsula needs to come out too far in to the dinnette seating area.

An alterante solution would be to have the peninsula at a 90 degree angle and have the sink on the peninsula with a raised counter above the sink for seating.

It's hard to find nice pictures with examples (you see them all the time but when you need them you can't find them). Here are some examples. Yours wouldn't be as long.

http://www.ronnigallup.com/2%20Shadywood%20Lane/kitchenbreakfastbar.jpg (broken link)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2009, 09:07 AM

The area you have available for a peninsula is limited.

That's why I think you should have the sink along with wall.

This peninsula is close to the length you will have room for:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_6RuB-MyU_O...ouble+sink.jpg

Last edited by Hopes; 06-03-2009 at 09:15 AM.. Reason: removed image because the site is copyrighted

Old 06-03-2009, 11:47 AM

41,953 posts, read 75,167,069 times
There's plenty of room for a dinette there, even if you extend the counter and add the peninsula like K'ledgeBldr suggested. Not a huge table, but a decent-sized one for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarryEyedSurprise View Post
Plus I think my husband would think I was crazy if I told him to get rid of the hall closet, lol.
I'd think you were crazy, too! LOL ... You always need closets!

Old 06-03-2009, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
There's plenty of room for a dinette there, even if you extend the counter and add the peninsula like K'ledgeBldr suggested. Not a huge table, but a decent-sized one for sure.

I'd think you were crazy, too! LOL ... You always need closets!
I respectfully disagree. She wants comfortable traffic flow. It's going to be tight as it's currently laid out too.

If you look at the picture of the area, you can count the tiles. There is only 7-1/2 feet between the windows and the current cabinets. In the proposed drawing, the angled peninsula extends two feet father, which leaves only 5-1/2 feet from the windows to the edge of the counter. Even with a small table, it will be tight the current way it's laidout.

If you put the table as close to the window to only allow 2 feet between the table and the window (tight squeeze for pulling the chair out and sitting down) and the table were a mere 3 feet deep, that leaves only 1/2 foot between the table and the counters of the angled peninsula.

It's simple math.

Another option is to install the angled penisula, use the dining room for eating, and build window seats at the bay window with under storage. I don't mean window seats for a table. I simply mean having window seats in that area of the kitchen. I've seen many nice kitchens with window seats.

It really all depends on if she wants to have an eat-in-kitchen or not.

Old 06-03-2009, 02:37 PM

1,149 posts, read 4,205,064 times
And here I had high hopes of using my old dining room table in the eat-in section It's not huge (though it has beautiful integrated leaves), I'm guesstimating its about 5'x3' - oh they still sell it, I bought it around six years ago:

Crate and Barrel - Madison Extension Dining Table shopping in Crate and Barrel Dining Tables (http://www.crateandbarrel.com/family.aspx?c=884&f=6854&q=madison&fromLocation=Se arch&DIMID=400001&SearchPage=1 - broken link)

We're buying a new dining room set, and I am so loathe to get rid of this table + four chairs, though maybe it will work if I don't put any chairs on the window side, and just have two chairs facing the window and one on each end.

Incidentally, I really want to thank everyone posting here (and for the DMs I've received) - your artistic AND practical insights are priceless to me

Old 06-03-2009, 03:13 PM

41,953 posts, read 75,167,069 times
Quote:
though maybe it will work if I don't put any chairs on the window side, and just have two chairs facing the window and one on each end.
I like that table. And there's no law that says you can't do what you suggested on a daily basis, and then pull it out when you need the space for the meal only, then push it back in.

I remember having holiday dinners at my grandmother's house -- her kitchen was long and skinny, with counters and appliances on one long side of the kitchen, and the table on the other long side (which also had doorways at either end). She used to cram a good 12 to 15 people at her kitchen table! When everyone was seated, the people with their backs to the counter could barely push out their chairs. Heaven forbid if someone had to get up in the middle of the meal. Good times.

Old 06-03-2009, 03:15 PM

4,156 posts, read 11,008,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I respectfully disagree. She wants comfortable traffic flow. It's going to be tight as it's currently laid out too.

If you look at the picture of the area, you can count the tiles. There is only 7-1/2 feet between the windows and the current cabinets. In the proposed drawing, the angled peninsula extends two feet father, which leaves only 5-1/2 feet from the windows to the edge of the counter. Even with a small table, it will be tight the current way it's laidout.

If you put the table as close to the window to only allow 2 feet between the table and the window (tight squeeze for pulling the chair out and sitting down) and the table were a mere 3 feet deep, that leaves only 1/2 foot between the table and the counters of the angled peninsula.

It's simple math.

It really all depends on if she wants to have an eat-in-kitchen or not.
I'm not convinced of your math on this.
There's extra depth at the center of the bay (at least a foot or two) so I'm thinking if you are willing to part with your current rectangular table set, a round table would fit nicely with 4 chairs around the outer edge with the table up to the center of the bay.
curving traffic flow with the peninsula and round table (like an S curve) would work and could be rejiggered best if you lose the bar seating part that'll shave off even more space to accommodate.

Old 06-03-2009, 06:19 PM

5,504 posts, read 6,246,472 times
SES, hi I am kelsie's husband and I am a kitchen designer for a living.

All of the ideas that I have read, a lot of them are very good ideas. You can put a peninsula in off the sink side without giving up your sitting area. I would leave the sink either where it is or further up the wall. One q that I have, in the mud/laundry room is there room for your pantry, if so that will free up a lot of space for you to put a wall oven in. If that is possible I would consider putting the fridge on the wall going into the laundry room and wall oven up to where the fridge is now. The island does not work out in the current layout,unless it is a small prep island. I would suggest a floating island, if you have room to store it when not in use. Without knowing what the house layout is like is difficult for me to say. Do you need to have the family room entry that open? Is there usually more than 2 eating meals? I suggest going to Lowe's and sitting down with a designer. Bring measurements and a "wish list" of what you want and they can put a design together, free. There are a lot of promotions on cabinets right now, you could save lots! I could put something together over the next few days but I would have to fax it, since I can't e-mail it. You can DM a fax # just let myself or kelsie know. Have a great night. Nick

Old 06-03-2009, 06:29 PM

1,149 posts, read 4,205,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelsie View Post
SES, hi I am kelsie's husband and I am a kitchen designer for a living.

All of the ideas that I have read, a lot of them are very good ideas. You can put a peninsula in off the sink side without giving up your sitting area. I would leave the sink either where it is or further up the wall. One q that I have, in the mud/laundry room is there room for your pantry, if so that will free up a lot of space for you to put a wall oven in. If that is possible I would consider putting the fridge on the wall going into the laundry room and wall oven up to where the fridge is now. The island does not work out in the current layout,unless it is a small prep island. I would suggest a floating island, if you have room to store it when not in use. Without knowing what the house layout is like is difficult for me to say. Do you need to have the family room entry that open? Is there usually more than 2 eating meals? I suggest going to Lowe's and sitting down with a designer. Bring measurements and a "wish list" of what you want and they can put a design together, free. There are a lot of promotions on cabinets right now, you could save lots! I could put something together over the next few days but I would have to fax it, since I can't e-mail it. You can DM a fax # just let myself or kelsie know. Have a great night. Nick
Thank you so much Nick, you and kelsie have been a huge help to me! I'll DM you a fax number in a bit (ours is currently out of commission *cough I packed certain cables*) but my mother won't mind me using hers, and she can scan it for me.

I actually did go to the local Lowes - the cabinets I like are the Briarwood Maple Beaded in Dove White. The designer not only suggested leaving the island, but he actually made it longer. Again, it looks nice on paper, but I wonder how workable it is =/ Haven't had much of a chance to go back since my husband wants to be there and he's been working nonstop OT - which hopefully should end this week.

As for the pantry - that is why this is so tricky. The mudroom is extremely small - pretty much room for the W/D and MAYBE our cat's litterbox only. Directly opposite the W/D are the entrances to the garage, and stairs to the FROG, and the half bath. Sometimes I wonder where this house is hiding the 2500 sqft, haha. Do I need to have the entrance into the family room that open? I kinda have to say yes, if not more so, only because those windows facing the back of the house (where the eat-in area is) are shaed by a HUGE screened in porch. The ceilings are only the standard 8', so even though the windows are pretty darn big along that back wall, only the ones that you can see from the family room are really getting much light (hence the white cabinets, I need to lighten the place up).

Otherwise the house is pretty much a traditional layout. The kitchen is in the back, facing the backyard, next to it along the back is the family room. From the family room you go into the foyer, where the stairs are, the formal living room, and the dining room, which loops around into the kitchen. Would it help if I put up a (completely not to scale) layout of the bottom floor?

Again, thank you SO MUCH for your (and everybody's) help!

Old 06-03-2009, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellalunatic View Post
I'm not convinced of your math on this.
There's extra depth at the center of the bay (at least a foot or two) so I'm thinking if you are willing to part with your current rectangular table set, a round table would fit nicely with 4 chairs around the outer edge with the table up to the center of the bay.
curving traffic flow with the peninsula and round table (like an S curve) would work and could be rejiggered best if you lose the bar seating part that'll shave off even more space to accommodate.
I counted the tile right up to the deepest part of the bay. You can see it in the picture clear as day.

By picture, I mean the actual photograph, not the sketch.

She wants an open traffic flow for carrying laundry baskets.

She can't have that angled peninsula and have three feet between the cabinets and a table.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating