Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 11:48 AM

1,817 posts, read 6,860,950 times

Advertisements

white
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2009, 11:53 AM

20 posts, read 69,546 times
Thanks everyone for the replies, this has been a big help. Kshe95girl, interesting info about bisque, I just bought these appliances 4 years ago :-( I kind of got the idea it was going out when I found out the DW I want is no longer offered in bisque. Ok, so white it is! That's the way I was leaning, but it always helps to get a fresh opinion. Thanks!

Old 09-30-2009, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruready1st View Post
Definitely white. Especially if you stay with current scheme of woodwork and knobs on cabinets.

Also, change out that kitchen light, very dated.
You mean the brass tone chandelier thing, or the overhead florescent?

Old 09-30-2009, 11:57 AM

23,416 posts, read 37,012,211 times
^ yeah, the thing about the bisque is kinda rotten, you should have seen poor folks in 2000, trying to get almond appliances, I thought it was a pretty underhanded thing for the manufacturers to do.....

Old 09-30-2009, 11:57 AM

1,532 posts, read 2,648,683 times
White would definitely go best with what is there. Our kitchen has medium oak cabinets and flooring with a beige colored tile countertops. Our appliances are white, and I am happy with them!

Old 09-30-2009, 02:44 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,849,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMystie3k View Post
You mean the brass tone chandelier thing, or the overhead florescent?
I'd say the brass tone chandelier thing. The overhead florescent is never going to be cutting edge style, but it's relatively inoffensive and kitchen lighting doesn't have to be hugely decorative. The chandelier over the dining table, on the other hand, should be decorative and pleasing to look at, and it's not insanely expensive to find something that makes the area look much more current.

Also, is there any way to do something with the wallpaper border? It just doesn't work with the rest of the wall coverings in the kitchen and dining room- too much of a clash with the neutral-pastel palette and the white trimwork.

Old 09-30-2009, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
I'd say the brass tone chandelier thing. The overhead florescent is never going to be cutting edge style, but it's relatively inoffensive and kitchen lighting doesn't have to be hugely decorative. The chandelier over the dining table, on the other hand, should be decorative and pleasing to look at, and it's not insanely expensive to find something that makes the area look much more current.

Also, is there any way to do something with the wallpaper border? It just doesn't work with the rest of the wall coverings in the kitchen and dining room- too much of a clash with the neutral-pastel palette and the white trimwork.
Re: The border, I sure hope I can remove that without too much trouble, I was thinking the same thing, that it looks out of place. You should see some of the other wallpaper accents in the house - downright scary!

Old 09-30-2009, 02:59 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,849,024 times
If it doesn't come down nicely, and you don't want to strip the whole room (while I'm not a huge wallpaper fan, what I see there seems to be relatively nice) I would honestly be tempted to draw a level line where border and wallpaper meet, peel the border/wallpaper off above it until you get to drywall, and then paint the bare area some white or very pale neutral and then do a thin white strip of molding to hide the paper/paint line.

Old 09-30-2009, 04:42 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,665,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMystie3k View Post
This is the only pic I have at the moment; it's not the best, but I think it shows the white woodwork fairly well.
Ms I see one major serious flaw that needs attention. That microwave was placed under a cabinet that was sized for a hood vent. A hood vent is 6" tall and a microwaveis 16" tall. The microwave should be 1" above or below the bottom of the cabinets which are 54" off the ground. By law or lets call it code you must have 18" space between your countertop and the bottom of the cabinets. This applies to the microwave or hood vent also. Yours looks to be exactly 10". This is dangerous and a fire hazard.

I betcha the plastic light covers under that microwave are all melted from the heat.

How to fix? Good luck. Your cabinets do look pretty nice. What needs to be done is that cab above the micro needs to be shorter. All your uppers are 42" tall. That cabinet over the micro should be 27" tall by code and by all design standards and practices. I believe it to be 36" tall.

Oh and your appliances should be black.

Old 10-01-2009, 06:48 AM

1,654 posts, read 7,348,871 times
Black, definitely black. And paint the cabinets - anything but what they are now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating