Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you buy a home that had white kitchen cabinets?
Yes. I adore them. 86 86.00%
No. I would run, not walk, away from a home that had them. 14 14.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 10:16 AM

9,879 posts, read 8,018,970 times

Advertisements

Yes. I adore them.
No. I would run, not walk, from a home that had them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2009, 10:22 AM

Question Would you buy a home with white kitchen cabinets?

There is another thread about whether white cabinets are ever stylish. So, I was curious.

Am I only one of a few that love white cabinets and would buy a home that had them? Or, do they really prevent someone from buying a home if they are in it?

Old 10-15-2009, 10:25 AM

2,417 posts, read 2,988,207 times
I would buy it. Well, actually I did. I would reconsider because of a cracked foundation or termites, but not because of kitchen cabinets, if I otherwise loved the house.

Old 10-15-2009, 10:28 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,658,815 times
Me thinks some one is trolling for an argument. The answer to your question is yes you are the only one that would buy a house with white cabinets. Does that make you special? I dont know.

What I do know is just as Realtors advise sellers to put in granite tops, they advise against white out of style cabinets. Ask most every Realtor and they will tell you that buyers avoid white kitchens. My firm works closely with dozens of Realtors and they all are of the same beliefs. We just supplied a 213 unit condo conversion with cabinets. Not one white. Go ahead and argue it. It's fruitless. Waldo.

Old 10-15-2009, 10:33 AM

No argument here - I am just really curious. I've always had white cabinets in my homes and honestly never knew they were so hated by realtors, etc. Every home I've sold had white cabinets and sold very quickly and not once did anyone say - get rid of those. I just want to see the results - no comments really needed.

Old 10-15-2009, 10:57 AM

Location: When things get hot they expand. Im not fat. Im hot.
2,521 posts, read 6,327,828 times
Depends. I prefer to look at the whole package. If the price was right and I liked the bones of the house or if they were period cabinets in a really cool circa 1800's house then yes. Otherwise no.

But first chance I got Id probably be painting them a color or grain painting them until I could decide if they should be stripped or not. White cabinets dont do it for me since I really dont care for white woodwork. I prefer old houses with original woodwork.

17,475 posts, read 66,054,754 times
It would depend on the house.
I look for structure, flow, volume, special amenities, area (physicality on a map), size of lot, etc.
I'm not going to judge a house strictly on the color of kitchen cabinets (or the color of carpet and walls). Besides, that can always be changed. Running from a house that had all the above mentioned criteria- that would be asinine.

Desert- me thinks you are the one looking for a argument. Let's face it- you are not going to change everybody's minds about cabinets no matter how much you persist.

13,258 posts, read 22,839,738 times
I would have liked an option for 'neither love nor loathe them'. I'm in the camp that they can look good in the right circumstances, but it depends on their context within the property as a whole and how good the quality is.

Old 10-15-2009, 11:03 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,052,779 times
I don't exactly adore them, but if they were decent quality, I could learn to live with them....I've seen some fabulous kitchens that have white cabinets.

Old 10-15-2009, 11:06 AM

Location: When things get hot they expand. Im not fat. Im hot.
2,521 posts, read 6,327,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
It would depend on the house.
I look for structure, flow, volume, special amenities, area (physicality on a map), size of lot, etc.
I'm not going to judge a house strictly on the color of kitchen cabinets (or the color of carpet and walls). Besides, that can always be changed. Running from a house that had all the above mentioned criteria- that would be asinine.
Better said.

It always amazes me when people will pass up a perfectly good house for something like wall color.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating