Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 09:11 PM

59 posts, read 301,968 times

Advertisements

My back door appears to be a wood core door with thin metal plate cladding on each side. I want to hang blinds and just want to make sure there is nothing special to drilling into the metal cladding, special bits, screws, etc?

thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2010, 09:16 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,900,650 times
There's no way for anyone to really answer your question with any certainty. It really depends on what the actual construction is (and your description sounds very odd), and where precisely you are screwing.

If you've got a window pane in the door with a frame around it of perhaps 8" or so, there is usually bracing and blocking and other bits within that 8" that make the door rigid. If you pierce it, you may compromise the strength. You would also very likely compromise the watertightness and airtightness of the door.

But the description sounds very weird. Are you sure its not just an aluminum or hollow steel door?

Old 08-09-2010, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
There's no way for anyone to really answer your question with any certainty. It really depends on what the actual construction is (and your description sounds very odd), and where precisely you are screwing.

If you've got a window pane in the door with a frame around it of perhaps 8" or so, there is usually bracing and blocking and other bits within that 8" that make the door rigid. If you pierce it, you may compromise the strength. You would also very likely compromise the watertightness and airtightness of the door.

But the description sounds very weird. Are you sure its not just an aluminum or hollow steel door?
I am not sure how else to describe it other than it feels like a steel or aluminum skin on a wood door, though when I knock it doesn't feel completely solid. Attached are some pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Drilling into metal faced door to hang blinds?-d1.jpg   Drilling into metal faced door to hang blinds?-d2.jpg  

Old 08-09-2010, 10:08 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,050,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hou-iah View Post
I am not sure how else to describe it other than it feels like a steel or aluminum skin on a wood door, though when I knock it doesn't feel completely solid. Attached are some pictures.

Go to your local big box store and ask for the blinds that attach to the plastic trim around the edge of the glass. No drilling needed as they just clip behind the plastic trim and install in no time at all.

busta

Old 08-10-2010, 06:14 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,287,454 times
There are also blinds that are magnetic-unless the door is aluminum which won't work then.

Old 08-10-2010, 08:27 AM

17,472 posts, read 66,010,995 times
You have a steel insulated door. The frame of the door is wood, the field is polystyrene. And yes, you can drill to your heart's content. Just don't get carried away with the tightening- you can strip a screw real easy.
Remember, when drilling a hole for a screw, the screw hole is the same size as the shank of the screw, not the overall diameter.

Old 08-10-2010, 09:44 AM

2,903 posts, read 12,531,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
You have a steel insulated door. The frame of the door is wood, the field is polystyrene. And yes, you can drill to your heart's content. Just don't get carried away with the tightening- you can strip a screw real easy.
Remember, when drilling a hole for a screw, the screw hole is the same size as the shank of the screw, not the overall diameter.
Correct as usual.. I'll only add that it may be a fiberglas clad door also. I have a thermo-tru door that looks just like that and it ia fiberglas clad. Either way, you can do exactly as K"ledgeBldr says....

Your other option is to install an add on glass kit with blinds. I know I am not describing it well, but they sell them at the big box stores. Installation is easy. It attaches onto the inside glass frame and sandwiches a nice set of miniblinds behind the glass. You can open and close them with a knob and pull them up with a string type just like regular blinds....but it looks nicer and you never need to dust them, etc......

I have this on ours and like it. It was less than $80.00

Frank

Old 08-10-2010, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Good info...thanks!

Old 08-10-2010, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithfulFrank View Post
Correct as usual.. I'll only add that it may be a fiberglas clad door also. I have a thermo-tru door that looks just like that and it ia fiberglas clad. Either way, you can do exactly as K"ledgeBldr says....

Your other option is to install an add on glass kit with blinds. I know I am not describing it well, but they sell them at the big box stores. Installation is easy. It attaches onto the inside glass frame and sandwiches a nice set of miniblinds behind the glass. You can open and close them with a knob and pull them up with a string type just like regular blinds....but it looks nicer and you never need to dust them, etc......

I have this on ours and like it. It was less than $80.00

Frank
I will have to look into this...so it fits between the existing layers? Must be a small blind. Thanks for the info

Old 08-10-2010, 10:42 AM

2,903 posts, read 12,531,128 times
It is like a another piece of glass that goes over the existing double glazed glass, with the blinds behind it.

The company that made the ones I have is ODL.

Here is the website;

ODL glass door window treatments, between the glass blinds & shades

Usually a door is a standard size 32"or 36", and the glass size is standard also, so I bought mine stock from a big box store. Not much more expensive then blinds, and you do not have to put holes in your door. Also, no dusting or anything, and the extra piece of glass has to have some energy value. I've had ours for over 10 years now.....

Frank
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House