Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 01:27 PM

5 posts, read 20,176 times

Advertisements

Hey folks. My wife and I just bought our first home and I've got a question about the proper swing direction for the back door. The house is currently under construction and we recently noticed that the back door has been installed to swing outward, onto the patio, instead of inward. This seems backward to me. Does anyone else agree? Standing outside the house with the door closed, the hinges are exposed and since the jam is toward the inside of the house you can visibly see where the catch and deadbolt enter the jam. The builder says this was intentional and that special hinges were used to prevent tampering but it seems like a security risk to me.

I can't seem to find any best practices, or even a building code about this. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2010, 01:41 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,940,073 times
My back door onto our screened porch is the same way - the door swings out.

Old 08-30-2010, 01:45 PM

57 posts, read 145,952 times
Our backdoor to our deck swings inwards. (inside the house)

Old 08-30-2010, 02:12 PM

4,478 posts, read 11,620,809 times
I chose outward swinging french doors for my screened porch to save space. I think the only code requirement is if there is a big step down to the deck/ground you have to go with inward swinging doors (and don't quote me on that).

Old 08-30-2010, 02:27 PM

2,459 posts, read 8,078,887 times
Residential doors can swing in or out, must companies like Pella make both to allow for flexible space planning- Commercial doors swing out to allow for panic exits.

Frank

Old 08-30-2010, 02:30 PM

109 posts, read 343,161 times
While inward swinging is standard, I have seen both.

You might find this interesting regarding the security issue:
Door Hinges and Home Security

As adinc07 mentioned, I have also seen where the "step down" rules are different for inward/outward swings.

Hopefully a builder or inspector will comment with more definitive info....

Old 08-30-2010, 02:33 PM
CYB

108 posts, read 270,873 times
I much prefer outswinging doors. To me they don't seem to be any more of a security risk. Plus they save space inside the house. And if a strong storm comes through, the wind pushes the door closed all the more tightly for better protection against wind driven rain.

The hinges aren't a problem. Some have a sealed pin, so they cant be removed. Others have a punched out tab that interlocks. Even if the pin is removed, that hinge isn't coming apart.

Old 08-30-2010, 02:58 PM

9,145 posts, read 14,766,326 times
If a crimnal is capable of removing the pins on the hinges, then he has tools eyond a crowbar and pretty much has complete access to your house by any number of ways. Plus, like others said, there are hinges with "non-removable" pins with a set screw that is only accesable when the door is opened.

I think the main reason that many doors swing in is so the seal is on the side of the door that is exposed, so there is less of a chance for water to get in. On an outswinging door, the seal is to the inside, so water can get in between the door edge and door before it hits the seal, and it can enter around the door latch openings and run down or get inside the door itself more easily. This can be prevented, but make sure the door guys understand this so that proper measures can be taken if the door is exposed to rain. Things like a drip edge right above the door will help and extra care should be taken around the inside of the rough opening prior to installing the jamb (which I know its too late for you, but they can always remove it) to make sure that water cannot go into the house if it gets back there.

Old 08-30-2010, 03:15 PM

109 posts, read 343,161 times
How about screen doors?

I am trying to picture how you could install one with an outswing door.

I love my screen door from the back of the house onto the deck. (solid glass on the bottom and a slide down screen on the top)

While I like the idea of an outswing door, I would really hate to give up my screen door!

Old 08-30-2010, 03:45 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,544,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2TwinsCary View Post
How about screen doors?

I am trying to picture how you could install one with an outswing door.

I love my screen door from the back of the house onto the deck. (solid glass on the bottom and a slide down screen on the top)

While I like the idea of an outswing door, I would really hate to give up my screen door!
Here's an alternative:

Retractable french door screens by Glide Screen
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House