Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 11:49 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times

Advertisements

Well she really is not a very good singer and her lyrics are somewhat vapid. However I do not know of anything wrong with her as in she has a disease or something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2011, 01:20 PM

5,615 posts, read 14,794,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Your neighbor's house is in your neighborhood.

I like having an HOA tell me what colors my house can be.
I like having an HOA telling me I can't park a boat in my driveway.
I like having an HOA telling me I can't put a 50 foot ham radio antenna on my roof.
I like having an HOA telling me my grass is one inch too high.
I like having an HOA tell me I need to repair my gate.
I like having an HOA tell me I need to keep my garage doors down when not in use.
I grew up in a neighborhood with no HOA and currently live in one. None of those things were a problem in either. You might as well have written

I like having an HOA keep Godzilla away.
I like having an HOA provide volcano insurance, just in case.
I like having an HOA hire Superman to patrol the streets and scare off sketchy looking people.
I like having an HOA bring me peanut butter chocolate chip cookies on my birthday.

Old 03-25-2011, 01:26 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Besides, don't you more accurately mean, assuming you're an adult, that you like having someone tell your neighbors that they need to do things exactly the way you like them?

Exactly.

And from

Do homeowners associations raise property values? - Free Online Library:
"these organizations were practically unheard of in 1960, but today some 54.6 million people in the United States United States live in various neighborhood associations. That figure continues to rise each year "
and
"We have shown that HOAs increase house value. Our data indicate that houses in HOAs in Northern Virginia are worth, on average, more than 5 percent more than similar houses in the same neighborhood but outside of HOAs. Given those large advantages, it is not surprising that HOAs are growing rapidly."

Old 03-25-2011, 05:08 PM

About home values, correlation =/= causation.

HOAs are growing rapidly in TX anyway because you have two options:
Construction from the mid-'70s - present (all of which have an HOA unless it dissolved)
Construction roughly pre-'70s which doesn't have one

There is no in between unless you are in a truly rural setting. They all have one. Cities seem to like it; there are far fewer public parks in parts of the city developed in the last 35 years or so.

I used to think the same way you seem to about them - I was on the board at the last neighborhood we lived in for a long time. But since moving and seeing so many different areas it became apparent that the boogeymen we feared were exactly that. Misconceptions for the most part.

Old 03-25-2011, 08:39 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post
If I lived next to the Hello Kitty house, I sprinkle a path of kitty litter leading to their door.
Good traction in the snow, but it does make a mess. Maybe pea gravel instead?

I just showed the spouse the Hello Kitty house; he said "If you did that to our house, I'd have to move!" Hmmm ...

Old 03-25-2011, 11:47 PM

205 posts, read 479,585 times
Well I was going to snap some photos of pink houses but I searched around and found some.

Here is a blog post

You have to scroll through a few of his pages on flickr. (http://www.flickr.com/photos/15947776@N06/page77/ - broken link)

Another few flirk pages. (http://www.flickr.com/photos/gml527/page128/ - broken link)

Anndddd one more. (http://www.flickr.com/photos/barbarawise/page295/ - broken link)

So.... I don't get it? They just don't look bad to me.

Old 03-26-2011, 12:38 AM

2,035 posts, read 3,352,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba steve View Post
I grew up in a neighborhood with no HOA and currently live in one. None of those things were a problem in either. You might as well have written

I like having an HOA keep Godzilla away.
I like having an HOA provide volcano insurance, just in case.
I like having an HOA hire Superman to patrol the streets and scare off sketchy looking people.
I like having an HOA bring me peanut butter chocolate chip cookies on my birthday.
LOL... love it. Same here.

AND i have a rose-colored front door...horrors!!

I better repaint it before i get ready to sell...

I dont like rules. One reason i'm worrying about moving into a condo (i havent bought yet it yet). I also dont like cookie-cutter houses, in Stepford-type neighborhoods. But... whatever blows your skirt up...

Old 03-26-2011, 06:01 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,052,779 times
The right shade of pink on the right house works for me. No neon pink though please.

Old 03-26-2011, 06:37 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,089,604 times
Now purple is a color I wish was used more often. Lilac is nice for Victorians, and deep purple would look nice on other styles. It looks good with most landscaping. I don't know why we don't have more purple houses.

Old 03-26-2011, 08:02 AM

Like some mentioned, it's a very hard color to get the right shade of... I know a few that've tried on interior walls and it either came out Barney colored or sort of blue looking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House