Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2011, 07:55 AM

298 posts, read 948,254 times

Advertisements

Anyone ever install hardwood floors purchased at Home Depot or Lowes? Are you satisfied with them. Are they the same quality as something you would buy at Lumber Liquidators? How do they look a year or two after installation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2011, 09:05 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,828,258 times
House brand flooring arrived horriby, horribly warped. Fortunately, Home Depot was good about giving us a no hassle full refund on the product. Would definitely not buy hardwoods from there based on our experience with their poor quality control.

Old 04-17-2011, 07:08 PM

1,063 posts, read 3,757,014 times
My parents used Lumber Liquidators since my dad does house renovations, he did the floor himself and save the labor cost. My parents love the floor, it was a Brazilian cherry, something like that and of course he loved the fact it was "cheaper" since he was the labor.

I used a local company to do mine, was pretty pleased with them overall. Have you thought about looking in that direction?

Old 04-17-2011, 07:13 PM

5,615 posts, read 14,789,091 times
You can do better... Lumber Liquidators is a step up from Lowes / Home Depot. About the best you can do IMO is find what you want in person and buy online. Then find your own installer or DIY if you want to.

Old 04-18-2011, 01:29 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,697,300 times
I took some wood samples from Lowe's and some wood samples from an online flooring retailer. I abused them and found that even the "best" Lowe's wood sample did not hold up nearly as well as what the online guy had to offer. In my opinion, Lowe's did not carry a quality product. However, Lowe's wood was $1 less per square foot, so I was not comparing apples to apples, but only what Lowe's had to offer.

Went with the online guy. Flooring is nearly 2 years old, still looks good (hopefully it continues to be that way).

Old 04-18-2011, 03:48 AM

298 posts, read 948,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
House brand flooring arrived horriby, horribly warped. Fortunately, Home Depot was good about giving us a no hassle full refund on the product. Would definitely not buy hardwoods from there based on our experience with their poor quality control.
That's what I was afraid of Beach. Probably had a high moisture content. Maybe it would start to warp after installation. I bought some 3/4" oak plywood (from Home Depot) to make some furniture and when I cut into it,
it was full of voids. Not exactly conducive to creating quality furniture.

Old 04-18-2011, 07:21 AM

As I mentioned on another flooring thread recently, I've become a big fan of the indie flooring stores that are part of co-op buying groups in order to get better deals on a wider variety of flooring products. Carpet One affiliates are common down here, and Abbey Carpet is another large one. The $5 a square foot engineered hardwoods we ended up getting from a local Carpet One are actually better and nicer than the Lowe's/HD $7 a square foot options.

Old 04-19-2011, 09:25 AM

600 posts, read 3,448,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
As I mentioned on another flooring thread recently, I've become a big fan of the indie flooring stores that are part of co-op buying groups in order to get better deals on a wider variety of flooring products. Carpet One affiliates are common down here, and Abbey Carpet is another large one. The $5 a square foot engineered hardwoods we ended up getting from a local Carpet One are actually better and nicer than the Lowe's/HD $7 a square foot options.
Mouse......Thanks so much for your vote of confidence for the indy floor covering stores such as Abbey Carpet (we are an Abbey member) or Carpet One. As I've said many times on this forum, you can talk to a clerk at a big box store, or you can talk to a flooring professional at your local indy dealer. As for pricing, get an estimate from someone like us as well as the big box. You will usually find that the bottom line contract amount is lower from your local indy flooring professional.

I said in another related thread a day or two ago that my ideal location in which to build another store would be in the parking lot of one of the big box stores.

Regards,
Streamer1212

Old 04-19-2011, 09:42 AM

There actually is a Carpet One down here literally across the street from the Ft. Walton Beach Lowe's. They must be doing reasonalby well since they survived the housing bust that claimed a lot of building services businesses down here.

Old 04-19-2011, 08:07 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,249,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtoal View Post
My parents used Lumber Liquidators since my dad does house renovations, he did the floor himself and save the labor cost. My parents love the floor, it was a Brazilian cherry, something like that and of course he loved the fact it was "cheaper" since he was the labor.

I used a local company to do mine, was pretty pleased with them overall. Have you thought about looking in that direction?
The Lumber Liquidator floors -- are those the snap together veneered on particle board floors and not solid hardwood?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House