Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 05:26 PM

1,941 posts, read 9,241,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
That said, You have no right to complain just stop looking at it will ya!
You post in an open forum and tell someone they have no right to complain? Are you serious?

As for your reply to me; I said nothing about it being a bad idea, but the design itself is terrible. There was a lot of potential to make something unique. Instead, the owner tried to make a cookie-cutter ranch home out of it. Blah.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2011, 08:50 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,617,939 times
In most states you will not pay property tax on a home like this. Since it is not on a permanent location it is much like a moblehome.

Old 04-27-2011, 06:16 AM

2,403 posts, read 5,241,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southgeorgia View Post
wow, that's hideous.

i thought part of the appeal of using containers was to make a more modern styled home?

those arched windows and openings, and traditional look seem like a designers worst nightmare.
It's clearly not for fashion queens.

Old 04-27-2011, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
In most states you will not pay property tax on a home like this. Since it is not on a permanent location it is much like a moblehome.
You don't pay taxes on mobiles?

Old 04-27-2011, 02:03 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,939,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
I hope no one takes that infomation at face value. Most states do charge property taxes for mobile homes in the states that charge property taxes. I know I've had to pay them.

As to the OP, interesting, thanks for posting.

I've been curious to see one converted by a DIYer. I can honstly say there are things I would have done much differently and I think the site prep, floorplan/window placement, and storage could have been better thought out. I would have placed at least one container below grade for tornado shelter and storage so as not to use up valuable space on the main floor and likely used 3 containers up to include the laundry/utility with drive-in storage for an ATV and other equipment, making a drop down garage door as a ramp.

I have to wonder if the owner is going to see his exterior spray insulation peel with time since it appears to only be protected by paint. Probably not the best plan. A better plan would have been to spray the inside with expanding foam insulation at a thicker depth and forget about the fiberglass, IMO.

For those complaining about the appearence of the exterior I think you missed the point. It was to have realtively inexpensive housing in a remote location that could serve on or off grid. Aesthetics were less important than blending in to the surrounding landscape since the home is not occupied full time. At least that is the information I gathered from the site. YMMV

Quote:
Originally Posted by geos View Post
What a great job. Low cost, energy efficient, low maintenance (no shingles, siding), fire, insect, rodent, hurricane resistant.
Is it insect/rodent resistant really? Notice this photo: http://seacontainercabin.blogspot.co...-bathroom.html

Beneath the wood container flooding is nothing but steel framing. Those containers are not 100% steel enclosed as the base is open beneath the wood floor planking. The owner left plain dirt beneath, no moisture barrier, no gravel. What is goint to deter termites or woodchucks? What is going to keep those planks from rotting through from trapped moisture?

Last edited by lifelongMOgal; 04-27-2011 at 02:14 PM..

Old 04-27-2011, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
I have to wonder if the owner is going to see his exterior spray insulation peel with time since it appears to only be protected by paint. Probably not the best plan. A better plan would have been to spray the inside with expanding foam insulation at a thicker depth and forget about the fiberglass, IMO.
Agreed. PU foam does degrade from UV. Would you just paint the outside or install siding?

Quote:
Is it insect/rodent resistant really? Notice this photo: Sea, Shipping Container Cabin, Shelter, Home: Sea Container Bathroom
All building have penetrations so it is possible for insects or rodents to get thru if there's a gap somewhere. An additional benefit of foaming between the studs is the wall cavity is filled and nesting areas are reduced or eliminated. I don't know how resourceful the buggers are but I suppose they could burrow into PU.

Quote:
Beneath the wood container flooding is nothing but steel framing. Those containers are not 100% steel enclosed as the base is open beneath the wood floor planking. The owner left plain dirt beneath, no moisture barrier, no gravel. What is goint to deter termites or woodchucks? What is going to keep those planks from rotting through from trapped moisture?
I was under the impression steel containers are completely enclosed.

I'm wondering if a vapor barrier were installed would piers be necessary or would gravel suffice.

Old 04-27-2011, 03:15 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,683,956 times
Quote:
I, too, wondered why no moisture barrier myself. Now I know the flooring in all containers is either teak or some other water resistant asian hardwood but the steel floor beams will rust away in time.

Maybe the owner figures to pick up the whole unit in one piece and float a cement pad under it when he has the money.

Old 04-27-2011, 03:27 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,139,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
Shipping Containers are always can be wonderful homes with not a huge amount of work. These Containers are already being used in numbers in Europe and the rest of the world for cheaper to build housing !!

The Start....
Sea, Shipping Container Cabin, Shelter, Home

Finished home.....
Sea, Shipping Container Cabin, Shelter, Home: Container Finished Rooms.

Links at top of blog page to more photos ongoing.
I hate to break it to the guy, but the first time he uses that hand pump in the kitchen he is going bash his knuckes into the cabinet above it.

20yrsinBranson

Old 04-27-2011, 04:00 PM

1,941 posts, read 9,241,620 times
i just noticed in the pictures that the bathroom vanity light is wired w/ zip line running along the metal wall, and there is no gfi protection.

Old 04-28-2011, 04:50 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,794,627 times
The conductive wall...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House