Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2011, 09:03 PM

178 posts, read 540,393 times

Advertisements

Imagine a third bedroom on the 2nd floor of a home.
The only way to access the family room over the garage (from the 2nd floor) is directly through the 3rd bedroom. So - you open the bedroom door, walk along the bed to the far wall, open another door, and enter the family room.

Has anyone had this situation, or have ideas for how to minimize the impact on the 3rd bedroom? That is, how to disguise the door to the family room a bit better so the guest using the 3rd bedroom doesn't feel like they're sleeping in a hallway?

P.S. obviously no one will be walking through the bedroom while the guest is in it! I just want the room to look better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2011, 09:14 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,139,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac Farm View Post
The only way to access the family room over the garage (from the 2nd floor) is directly through the 3rd bedroom. So - you open the bedroom door, walk along the bed to the far wall, open another door, and enter the family room.

Has anyone had this situation, or have ideas for how to minimize the impact on the 3rd bedroom? That is, how to disguise the door to the family room a bit better so the guest using the 3rd bedroom doesn't feel like they're sleeping in a hallway?

P.S. obviously no one will be walking through the bedroom while the guest is in it! I just want the room to look better.
How big is the bedroom?

Old 08-21-2011, 09:20 PM

178 posts, read 540,393 times
The bedroom is approximately 12 x 12. Both doorways are on the extreme right side of the room. There is a window on the opposite wall. Thanks for asking!

Old 08-21-2011, 09:47 PM

76 posts, read 112,194 times
Does the door color match the wall color? Perhaps a decorative door appropriate to the existing

interior. I pressume it is a guest room, maybe a door with stationary louvers. Rather than disguise...

it could be possible to a accentuate appropriately.

Old 08-21-2011, 09:53 PM

61,664 posts, read 87,041,175 times
Pictures, Lilac Farm - pictures!!! Nothing works better than a look at the situation!
Do the bedroom by the entrance with the door open to the family room, then another picture at the entrance to the Family room, please

Old 08-21-2011, 10:42 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,139,351 times
Quote:
The bedroom is approximately 12 x 12. Both doorways are on the extreme right side of the room. There is a window on the opposite wall. Thanks for asking!
My suggestion won't work then. A friend of mine had a similar situation. A very large two story home. There is a bonus room above her garage that was only accessible by going through one of the bedrooms. Same situation, a straight shot through the one bedroom. She wanted to make the bonus room (which is huge) a bedroom for her 3 boys but the walk through bedroom was going to be for her daughter. The walk through bedroom was also very large. I can't remember the exact dims but I suggested to her that she could build a wall, add a door so that walk through portion actually became a new hallway. She did this and it worked out great. Your bedroom is not large enough to do this. Well you could but the bedroom would end up being so small it wouldn't be very usable. Is this family room you have, an addition or a bonus room like what my friend had?

Old 08-21-2011, 10:44 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,574,700 times
There are acouple of things I thought of right away.
Fabric, either a very nice matching curtain, tapestry, decorative wall hanging or something in that vein.

I love Chinese room dividers, they come in a multitude of styles and finishes these days. Everything from plain and inexpensive to really ornate and costly. You could set one up almost in a straight line against the wall if you don't have the room to have it folded at a larger angle. That would hide the door completely and add a very interesting element to the decor.

Old 08-22-2011, 09:05 AM

37,107 posts, read 41,238,832 times
Quote:

I don't understand why you feel a guest would be bothered by the door to the den. If it is closed, it would be no more obtrusive than a closet door. If it is open, the effect would seem to me to be the same as a bedroom with adjacent seating area.

Old 08-22-2011, 09:12 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,346,203 times
One surprisingly effective way to break-up the appearance of pass through doors that lead to bonus room is to WIDEN the doorway and use a pair of doors that open from the middle -- it tends to look like a closet when closed. These doors are little more money, and thou need two times the hardware, but it really does work well.

Old 08-23-2011, 08:12 AM

3,315 posts, read 10,089,114 times
I have an old/historic house and my bedroom is one of these rooms. It is in the back of the house, not accessible through a hallway, and can only be reached through one of two other bedrooms (it is a corner room). I chose one of the other rooms as my bedroom at first but then this room felt cozy and it is very quiet. Plus I like the feeling that I cannot be reached unless someone passes through several rooms One of the rooms next to me is a guest room (which shares a door with me but we rarely have guests). The other room is the library.

Lucknow has some good suggestions: curtain/drapes, tapestry, etc. as well as a room divider.

Another idea is to paint the entire door, trim, and molding the same exact color as the wall. Visually, it would "disappear"/blend in with the wall. Also, it would look more like a closet/part of the room.

I am going to toy around with the drapes/curtains idea for the extra door in my room. I need it easily accessible and curtains on rings and rods are a flexible solution. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House