Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2007, 05:11 PM

1,364 posts, read 4,279,296 times

Advertisements

We need to decide on what type of fence to put up around the backyard of our new home. We have 4 dogs (3 over 100 lbs.)

The fence guy say pressure treated pine because it lasts just as long as cedar and is cheaper.

I want to put in the better fence for durability and quality. I've heard the pine can warp and split very easily. I've read Red Cedar is better and naturally rot and insect resistant.

Any help would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2007, 05:23 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,206,471 times
Well, you're kind of answered your own question. Western Red Cedar is a better fence material, but it is more expensive. Pressure treated pine is acceptable, but will split, cup, and warp more over time. It sort of depends on what your budget will allow.

Have you had a fence before for the dogs? Some dogs will dig right under a wooden fence and you have to take special care to close off the bottom so that they can't dig under it.

Old 08-18-2007, 05:58 PM

2,197 posts, read 7,391,103 times
I finally decided on a compromise. I used PT pine for the boards/pickets, but went with cedar posts. And I had my fence installer hand-pick the pine boards at a lumber yard versus Home Depot or Lowe's, which tend to have lower quality wood. Then I used the best quality mildew-resistant primer and paint to protect the wood. I figure I'll have to replace some pine boards now and then, but it'll be much cheaper than all cedar. I did go with an all cedar gate, though.

Old 08-18-2007, 09:18 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,159,014 times
Be sure to check what treatment was used on the pine boards. It's still possible to obtain "CCA" boards, which are supposedly limited (voluntarily) by the manufacturers for agricultural use in dry land areas only. All of these PT boards ... so in vogue for years in children's playground sets ... have been removed from public playgrounds due to kid's getting sick.

The concern about CCA is that it's ARSENIC, and it does leach out immediately and for many years when it gets wet. Even the sawdust from cutting it is toxic, and the label should specify using gloves to handle the wood at all times.

There should be a warning label on each piece of wood specifying the PT material that was used. Oh, and if it's one of the newer substitutes for CCA, then the PT is corrosive to regular galvanized nails. Check the label for the correct fasteners to use or you'll be seeing the nails rot away in short order.

Old 08-19-2007, 12:26 PM

178 posts, read 1,227,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodbyehollywood View Post
I finally decided on a compromise. I used PT pine for the boards/pickets, but went with cedar posts. And I had my fence installer hand-pick the pine boards at a lumber yard versus Home Depot or Lowe's, which tend to have lower quality wood. Then I used the best quality mildew-resistant primer and paint to protect the wood. I figure I'll have to replace some pine boards now and then, but it'll be much cheaper than all cedar. I did go with an all cedar gate, though.
if the lumber is pressure treated, why would it need to be primed and painted?
and did you check into sealing pressure treated wood before applying the primer and paint?

Old 08-19-2007, 03:08 PM

Thanks everyone.

The fence guy wants to use pressure treated posts and framing (3 slats going across for stability) and cedar boards for the fence.

I'm definitely going with the cedar.

Old 08-20-2007, 02:02 PM

24,448 posts, read 25,984,086 times
After years of replacing pressure treated and primed posts due to rot. the last fence went up using metal poles and cedar boards.

Old 08-20-2007, 04:07 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,186,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motormaker View Post
After years of replacing pressure treated and primed posts due to rot. the last fence went up using metal poles and cedar boards.
curious how that works using metal poles with wood boards. Are metal poles the post? How are the boards attached to the poles?

Forgive my ignorance but I have never seen that done and I was thinking of having a wooden privacy fence put up. Could I use the chainlink fence post I already have?

Last edited by Keeper; 08-20-2007 at 04:08 PM.. Reason: added

Old 08-21-2007, 06:39 AM

The metal posts sound interesting. No one has mentioned this before.

Old 08-21-2007, 02:04 PM

24,448 posts, read 25,984,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
curious how that works using metal poles with wood boards. Are metal poles the post? How are the boards attached to the poles?

Forgive my ignorance but I have never seen that done and I was thinking of having a wooden privacy fence put up. Could I use the chainlink fence post I already have?
Ok, here is how it is basically done.
1. The round galvanized metal posts are set in concrete. Various diameters and lengths are available.

2. Mounting hardware for the wood horizontal stringers are place on the posts, leveled and secured with nuts.

3. The stringers are attached to the posts using the mounting harware. Nails or screws.

4. The vertical boards can then be nailed/screwed to the stringers.

5. Decorative caps are put on the tops of the posts.

Your chainlink fence posts will probably work just fine, you would need the mounting hardware for the stringers.

All materials used is available at Home Depot or Lowes.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by motormaker; 08-21-2007 at 02:09 PM.. Reason: spelling-duh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House