Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2011, 07:57 AM

12 posts, read 40,127 times

Advertisements

Hi – I need your help.

Did you ever have your old Original Wood Windows repaired or restored or re-made?

I am compiling a listing of businesses that perform the above since people doing this type of work are hard to find.

We need to save our old windows, the character of our old homes, and stop adding to the landfills!
You can help by providing information which will help others and

By passing on this request to other lists.

Please click on the following link to submit your info:

Thanks for your help. I greatly appreciate your contribution, and so will the many other old house owners.

Ken

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 11-07-2011 at 11:57 AM.. Reason: Remove New Member Links
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2011, 08:46 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldhouseguy View Post
Did you ever have your old Original Wood Windows repaired or restored or re-made?
Nope.
But I saw an episode of TOH once where they had a guy come in and do that.

It looked very sensible and appropriate for certain homes...
if I had one of them I'd probably do it too.

hth

Old 11-07-2011, 04:09 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
Yes. A lot of them.

You can almost always rebuilt windows. Sometimes they will be too rotted to repair. Even if they have holes, you can rebuild them using WoodEpox (advertised in Old House Journal). Most of our windows we only needed to take them out, sand them, re-glaze them, and paint them. We also had to remove the casings and replace the ropes for the weights (on the weighted windows, some were too old for weights).

To replace them. So far, I like Marvin Ultimate Double hung windows the best. You an get them in any configuration if you have doble hung windows (i.e. 6 over 1, 6 over 6, etc.). They make them specifically for historic home resotration.

I am not a fan of double paned windows in historic homes (just use interior storms). Vinyl or aluminum windows should never be used in a historic home and often are not allowed by code or covenant. The single pane windows with muntins glued on look stupid, detract from historical integrity and tend to fall apart, but they are cheaper and easier to maintain.

Sometimes ou can find a local window guy who can do a good job matching your original windows. In California we had a great window guy. His windows were perfect matches. The cost about $250 for 16 paned casement windows. He also made a huge replacement double hung window (48" x 60") for about $350. In Michigan, we found a local window making company that was supposedly good and they are garabge. We have to take them our and replace them with Marvin.

Old 11-07-2011, 05:29 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,110,691 times
The Nation Trust for Historic Preservation agrees with you.

Windows (http://www.preservationnation.org/issues/weatherization/windows/ - broken link)

You may want to check out their links and resources so you are not duplicating efforts?

I know that in out state, the Historic Landmarks Foundation keeps a database of folks who do restoration work (including windows).

We're about 60% finished with our window restoration project. It's been a long and expensive learning process, but I still think it will be worth it in the end.

Old 11-07-2011, 05:37 PM

Hello folks - I just noticed that my links were removed from my post. Are links and referrals not permitted on this forum?

Without the links this thread is useless. I am a consultant and need this info I am asking for to be sent to a link to be place in a database. The link is gone. I guess this thread is done. It's too bad I am not able to use this forum. Sorry to bother you folks.

ken of old house guy

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 11-08-2011 at 11:22 AM.. Reason: Terms of Service

Old 11-07-2011, 05:43 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,110,691 times
Quote:
Hello folks - I just noticed that my links were removed from my post. Are links and referrals not permitted on this forum?

Without the links this thread is useless. I am a consultant and need this info I am asking for to be sent to a link to be place in a database. The link is gone. I guess this thread is done. It's too bad I am not able to use this forum. Sorry to bother you folks.

ken of old house guy dot com
Hi Ken and welcome to the forums.

Here are The Rules:

//www.city-data.com/forum/faq/9...rum-rules.html

And a note about links:

Quote:
Creation of active links is enabled for users that have been here for more than three days and have a couple posts already. Links to competitors' sites are treated differently than other links and are likely to be deleted.
(I think it's 10 posts but I could be wrong....)

This rule helps keep the Spam-o-rama count low and we members kinda like it that way.

Hope you'll consider sticking around if you really do like to talk about old-house issues.

Old 11-07-2011, 05:52 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,603,599 times
Quote:

If the links were self serving for advertising it is clearly against the rules. The mods delete those all day.
As you only have 2 posts I do not think you can list links or photos till you have 10 posts.

I have repaired a lot of old wooden windows in many old buildings. A lot of dutchmans and bondo is acceptable on historical buildings.

Old 11-07-2011, 08:19 PM

Interesting. There were 2 links. One for the survey and the other with my website. The reason I list my website is so that people can be more informed about historic windows. My website is educational for old home owners. Really don't see how I can be doing something wrong. Without forums I am unable to get the info and provide this free service to homeowners.

Old 11-08-2011, 04:58 AM

1 posts, read 3,397 times
You can have bespoke doors and windows made to replace your older windows. I hope your restoration work goes well.

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 11-08-2011 at 11:19 AM.. Reason: Terms of Service do not permit new member links.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House