Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 04:27 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,467,108 times

Advertisements

Marvin is a good company, but the replacement of a whole window like the one the OP has could easily cost thousands of dollars from a high-end manufacturer.

The OP has a double glazed thermal unit now -- those are not from ancient times.

Replacing the "sealed unit" is far more cost effective...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
HOnestly, having tried historically-accurate glazing on older windows, I don't recommend it. I do recommend contacting any local Marvin window center. I used Marvin windows on my historic home, and they can make a custom window to fit pretty much anything.

They're used to replacing period windows, and you don't have to worry about the "how." Putting in windows is complicated, which is why there are professionals. You can get a better window (better insulation, more durable etc) that looks exactly like your old window minus the layers of paint as I had on mine.

Unless you have the time and money to do a restoration project... I would get a professional to replace the window.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2011, 05:53 AM

777 posts, read 1,874,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
HOnestly, having tried historically-accurate glazing on older windows, I don't recommend it. I do recommend contacting any local Marvin window center. I used Marvin windows on my historic home, and they can make a custom window to fit pretty much anything.

They're used to replacing period windows, and you don't have to worry about the "how." Putting in windows is complicated, which is why there are professionals. You can get a better window (better insulation, more durable etc) that looks exactly like your old window minus the layers of paint as I had on mine.

Unless you have the time and money to do a restoration project... I would get a professional to replace the window.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
...The OP has a double glazed thermal unit now -- those are not from ancient times.

Replacing the "sealed unit" is far more cost effective...
The house is just 16 years old

I posted earlier a link to some images. Perhaps its worth a look to see what I'm dealing with - https://picasaweb.google.com/1157920...eat=directlink

Old 11-10-2011, 07:18 AM

17,481 posts, read 66,152,846 times
If I'm scaling correctly, you have a 3/0X4/6 circle top, IG (insulated glass), GBG (grids between glass). It's been "picture framed" on the inside (no sill).
The only thing I can't tell from the picture is if it's lowE. With the house being 16yo it probably isn't.
Everything else is as I described in my previous post.

You'll get the best price from a millwork company that specializes in those types of windows. THey may even have that size in stock. And most have guys that can do the install.

Old 11-10-2011, 07:38 AM

777 posts, read 1,874,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
The only thing I can't tell from the picture is if it's lowE.
lowE - no way. The replacement is not only going to be be lowE, but tinted and whatever else can be done to limit sun intrusion. It's a west-facing window. Late summer afternoons are impossible...that window creates the searing burn effect of the sun through a magnifying glass
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House