Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2011, 07:05 AM

3,244 posts, read 7,454,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by accufitgolf View Post
I see quite a bit of begrudging going on in this chat. Generally begrudgers have not nor will not get ahead but even worse, they can hold others back.

Personally I will not buy an older home, especially one that needs any kind of work. My last two home purchases have been new. I have to many other things to do with my time and money then spend it on remodeling/fixing, selecting contractors, living in a construction site, accepting work arounds, etc.

I want it the way I want it from the get go.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:"I see quite a bit of begrudging going on in this chat. Generally begrudgers have not nor will not get ahead but even worse, they can hold others back."

Huh? Am I reading the right thread? Perhaps you can explain.

Quote:"
Personally I will not buy an older home, especially one that needs any kind of work. My last two home purchases have been new. I have to many other things to do with my time and money then spend it on remodeling/fixing, selecting contractors, living in a construction site, accepting work arounds, etc."

To each his own. I have a new house, and 135 year old one. Many people don't want the hassles you have stated (unless they enjoy doing the improvements themselves, as I do 100% of them myself). But after restoring one of the last old houses (which didn't take too much work), I settled for a 200%, 7-figure profit. I think that was worth my time.

Quote:"I want it the way I want it from the get go."

Yeah, my 9-year-old niece says that too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2011, 08:28 AM

3,315 posts, read 10,098,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by accufitgolf View Post
Personally I will not buy an older home, especially one that needs any kind of work. My last two home purchases have been new. I have to many other things to do with my time and money then spend it on remodeling/fixing, selecting contractors, living in a construction site, accepting work arounds, etc.
So you're not handy and don't want to be bothered with a creative project. No one is criticizing anyone who feels that way, who chooses newer building over older, and/or lacks the talent for remodelings.

However, you point out horrifying elements of buying/owning an older home which has other viewpoints on the opposite end of the spectrum -- among them, the ability to design a home to personal specifications (not something others have already laid out), insuring selected/quality materials (not builder grade or standardized stuff), sustainability, environmental, and waste concerns (saving and rehabbing something, and preservation of American history (as mentioned many times, we will never see these types of houses again).

Quote:
I want it the way I want it from the get go.
FYI, many older homes can be purchased already restored. And usually can command 200% or more, as SuperSparkle928 pointed out, of their original purchase price.

Quote:
I see quite a bit of begrudging going on in this chat.
And . . . you have just added to the begrudging by presenting only one [negative] side of owning an older home.

Old 12-01-2011, 12:47 PM

17,481 posts, read 66,143,421 times
For the pundits and fringe feeders-
Personally I don't think the stereotypical "McMansion" ever went away. That is, deeming the McMansion as an "infill" versus a suburbia development that averages 4-5k sq/ft. per unit. And to add fuel to the fire-
Is Suburbia Doomed? Not So Fast. | Newgeography.com

Old 12-01-2011, 01:15 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,930,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
For the pundits and fringe feeders-
Personally I don't think the stereotypical "McMansion" ever went away. That is, deeming the McMansion as an "infill" versus a suburbia development that averages 4-5k sq/ft. per unit. And to add fuel to the fire-
Is Suburbia Doomed? Not So Fast. | Newgeography.com
The fastest growing RE market during the Obama years is the very city where we bought our McMansion 11 years ago!! Around here the suburbs are where it is at.

Report: Weston the top housing market in Obama years | House Keys blog

Old 12-02-2011, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
The fastest growing RE market during the Obama years is the very city where we bought our McMansion 11 years ago!! Around here the suburbs are where it is at.

Report: Weston the top housing market in Obama years | House Keys blog

Weston is not the "fastest growing RE market". It's recovery has been faster. It's an anomaly- by having the right amount of influences. Schools, shopping, home market diversity, and JOBS.
Especially considering that the worst recovery of the cities on the list is just 50mi. away; Homestead.

Old 12-02-2011, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Weston is not the "fastest growing RE market". It's recovery has been faster. It's an anomaly- by having the right amount of influences. Schools, shopping, home market diversity, and JOBS.
Especially considering that the worst recovery of the cities on the list is just 50mi. away; Homestead.
Well the fastest price growth over the time period measure equals "fastest growing".

However the reason I posted this is that those who are stating that the suburb is dead need to rethink things.

Old 12-02-2011, 03:18 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,890,867 times
Quote:
Well the fastest price growth over the time period measure equals "fastest growing".

However the reason I posted this is that those who are stating that the suburb is dead need to rethink things.
I think that they are just wishing.

Fastest growing normally means fastest growing e.g. become larger most rapidly, not becoming more expensive most rapidly. I think that was their point.

The title of the article is bizzarre to me. What does OBAMA have to do with it? Why is he mentioned?

Even in bad markets, they are finishing our some of the mcmansion subdivisions. However where they are building new subdivisions (So. Cal. for example) they are focusing more on smaller homes. They are not returning to quality over volume, they are just building less expensive homes becuase people will no longer buy homes that cost five or six times their yearly income.

Old 12-02-2011, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
I think that they are just wishing.

Fastest growing normally means fastest growing e.g. become larger most rapidly, not becoming more expensive most rapidly. I think that was their point.

The title of the article is bizzarre to me. What does OBAMA have to do with it? Why is he mentioned?

Even in bad markets, they are finishing our some of the mcmansion subdivisions. However where they are building new subdivisions (So. Cal. for example) they are focusing more on smaller homes. They are not returning to quality over volume, they are just building less expensive homes becuase people will no longer buy homes that cost five or six times their yearly income.
Weston is built out. There is no new construction there.

Old 12-03-2011, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Weston is built out. There is no new construction there.

That's the point Coldjensens AND myself are stating. Your use of terminology is reflecting the wrong image. "Fastest growing" would usually mean in a physical since. Lots of new growth, building/construction.
But the article was referring to rebounding sale prices of homes- what ever percentage of loss Weston had is recovering much faster than any other city that was in the list. Some metropolitan areas are hovering in that 35-45% loss of value from what those homes would have sold for pre 2007.

C-j;
As far as the Obamanation correlation- the media has historically been democratic, end of correlation.

Old 12-03-2011, 12:52 PM

Quote:
That's the point Coldjensens AND myself are stating. Your use of terminology is reflecting the wrong image. "Fastest growing" would usually mean in a physical since. Lots of new growth, building/construction.
But the article was referring to rebounding sale prices of homes- what ever percentage of loss Weston had is recovering much faster than any other city that was in the list. Some metropolitan areas are hovering in that 35-45% loss of value from what those homes would have sold for pre 2007.

C-j;
As far as the Obamanation correlation- the media has historically been democratic, end of correlation.
Increasing price=price growth. Population growth is only one type of growth.

Obama correlation is mentioned by the author of the article.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House