Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 06:15 AM

22,569 posts, read 47,633,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by margeaa View Post
So...what is more comfortable. The day bed that has a trundle bed underneath? The sofa bed with some kind of foam thing that you put under the sheets? Or the blow up air mattress?
How about a sofa bed with a mattress... no foam required?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2011, 06:59 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,398,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by margeaa View Post
Husband and I are downsizing from 3 bedroom to 2 bedroom. Have guests a few times a year. Don't want to use the 2nd bedroom as a guest room only with a queen size bed and bedroom furniture since I'd like to use it as an office/craft room...but I still need to be able to sleep guests a few times a year.

I'm sure that there are some of you out there who also have this issue. What are you doing? My guests are used to having a separate room with lots of space. Can't do that anymore with this home. I need the room for an office and for the several crafts that I do. The 2nd bedroom is also very small . But I also want my guests to be comfortable. So...what is more comfortable. The day bed that has a trundle bed underneath? The sofa bed with some kind of foam thing that you put under the sheets? Or the blow up air mattress?

Thanks for your input!
my sister has a very small 3rd "bedroom" set up as an office with a daybad/trundle. it works really well. i think that is the best and most comfortable option. sofabed i would do if you would actually use the sofa more than sitting on a daybed...if not, no reason to go that route.

Old 12-15-2011, 08:18 AM

1,126 posts, read 2,925,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
What you need is a Murphy bed. You can combine it with home office furniture.

murphy bed unit - Google Search

Murphy Beds Home Office

:: Tiltaway Beds :: Overview

You can make it simple with just the bed on one wall and a desk on another or really beautiful and fancy with all sorts of custom features.

Your guests get a real mattress to sleep on.

If you are handy and have the tools, you can find plans to make your own.
I was pondering the question until I read this post. Really seems the way to go to me.

Old 12-15-2011, 06:36 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,736,872 times
Quote:
The day bed that has a trundle bed underneath?
This uses real mattresses and is the most comfortable of the three.

Camelot Wood Post Day Bed : Target

Old 12-15-2011, 06:44 PM

41,951 posts, read 75,160,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilVA View Post
This uses real mattresses and is the most comfortable of the three.

Camelot Wood Post Day Bed : Target
Be aware that the quoted price for daybeds usually is for the frame only; you have to purchase the mattresses and trundle frame separately.

Old 12-16-2011, 11:33 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,019,531 times
Every sleep on a sofa bed? Even the most expensive ones from top quality furniture companies suck. You can feel the metal bar under the mattress. I'm skinny too. If your guests are heavier, they're going to be more uncomfortable. I'm not a fan of daybeds and trundles from an asthetic standpoint but it would be much more comfortable than a sofa bed.

Old 12-16-2011, 11:34 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,019,531 times
I agree the Murphy bed would be idea if the OP's room is big enough. Just don't get anything that folds the mattress, like a futon or sofa bed does.

Old 12-16-2011, 11:47 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,922,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
What you need is a Murphy bed. You can combine it with home office furniture.

murphy bed unit - Google Search

Murphy Beds Home Office

:: Tiltaway Beds :: Overview

You can make it simple with just the bed on one wall and a desk on another or really beautiful and fancy with all sorts of custom features.

Your guests get a real mattress to sleep on.

If you are handy and have the tools, you can find plans to make your own.
Exactly what I was going to suggest!

Lancaster Handcraft - Murphy Bed Pricing, Standard Side Unit Pricing and Dimensions. (http://lancasterhandcraft.com/murphy-bed-dimensions-and-pricing.html - broken link)

Old 12-17-2011, 06:08 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,736,872 times
Quote:
Be aware that the quoted price for daybeds usually is for the frame only; you have to purchase the mattresses and trundle frame separately.
The trundle can be bought for below a $100 and generic mattresses start for as little as $100 each. Bought this exact one with a trundle on craigslist, two new firm mattresses from Big Lots and special foam pillows (& covers) that make this usuable as a couch all for under $500. This is usuable by all age groups. For older people futons and air mattresses are too low. Sofabeds come with a thin mattress (thus foldable) and some people may be sensitive to the bars(hinge points under the mattress) that go across it. Murphy beds take up too much wall space and for the expense of it is not worth it.

Old 12-18-2011, 12:33 AM

15,638 posts, read 26,247,288 times
Had a daybed to use like a sofa -- most wretched experience ever. And the bottom of the daybed was a wire base -- so there was no real support, and the mattress just sagged.

I love teh murphy bed idea. It's probably the most expensive, but I quilt -- and I need space for it, and the murphy bed would take up the least space.... well worth the price in my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House