Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 07:42 PM

3,315 posts, read 10,094,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by detshen View Post
I totally agree, I hate the look of garages, it's just my opinion . . .
Same here. We own an older (1930) home with a detached carriage house. Funny, I have one friend (in the suburbs) who asked, "What's a carriage house? Oh, you mean a garage." Later, when a new McMansion-sub-division was being built, he said, "My neighbor has a really cool carriage house."

Our first house was new with an attached garage. I didn't really think much about it. But in this current house, having a detached garage means that one side of my house is completely open (which has a bank of 4 windows).

Quote:
I can't imagine living somewhere where I was worried about the safety of my driveway, and needing to pull into the garage. I rarely park in my garage I like waving to my neighbors as I get in and out of the car, I live in a very close knit neighborhood where people know, and look out for each other.
Same here. We left the suburbs and couldn't be happier. Our neighbors are the same way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2012, 08:13 PM

22,859 posts, read 6,441,299 times
My husband and I like the house we had built on an acre we owned, in 2005. It's a little bigger than our last house, at 1640 sq ft, with a basement, and a 3 car garage.
We are 65, have one small dog and don't intent to move to another house. There's plenty of room, 3 bedrooms- master, guest and office, and 2 baths. We like the floorplan, it's pretty basic, not a lot of upgrades, I did get tile instead of vinyl in the kitchen, eating area, laundry, baths and entry. I did not realize if you drop a plate or glass, it explodes. Aside from that I like it.
We had another acre we were thinking we'd want to build on later but we sold it not wanting to go through all that, and moving, again.
Seems we both agree on the house and location, we live in Colorado, the weather isn't bad most of the time, I've lived in other states but like it here.
For upgrades, maybe later changing the carpet, upgrading the light fixtures, nothing I need or want to do anytime soon.

Things we didn't have at our last house but got in this one...more sq footage(1265 to 1640), 3 car garage, bigger master bath (other house had just sink and toilet), gas fireplace, front porch area, walk in master closet, good floor plan, garage to house access, everything the other house lacked we found in this one, we are satisfied.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House