Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 01:45 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,860,573 times

Advertisements

It seems most of my coworkers and associates are always looking to upgrade their homes. They buy a home, and immediately begin talking about the features they would like in their next home.

And the main theme is bigger, more bedrooms, more baths.

Is anyone ever satisfied with the home they live in?

I am happy with the size of my home: 4 bedrooms, 3 baths, 3 car garage. If I would change anything about it, I would like a 4 car garage. But it isn't a big enough concern that I would consider looking for a new home, or building on to the home I have now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2012, 01:46 PM

61,743 posts, read 87,194,708 times
Its called "keeping with the Jones". They always want to have better and bigger than their friends and relatives. For any price...

Old 01-30-2012, 01:57 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,967,745 times
I own two homes. Well, one home/house and one condo and its just a matter of always wanting to upgrade and/or make changes here and there. And, having a wife who is obsessed with HGTV who every other day says "We should make _______________ changes to the house like I saw on HGTV".

As a homeowner, there is just always something that either NEEDS to be done or that you WANT to get done, or its both. Some things I would like to do to my current house:

Finish my garage (insulate, drywall, install 220 outlet, run air vents, etc.)
Redo my flooring - installed bamboo floor myself about 8 years ago but with kids and 130 pound dog, it now needs to be replaced and/or refinished.
Put new roof.
Replace rain gutters.
Remodel kitchen and get NEW appliances.
Install larger a/c unit.
replaster the pool
Rip up concrete pool deck and install flagstone
Re-do fireplace
Put up new fencing around property.
Get a hot tub.
Build a covered outdoor yoga/meditation platform.

There is just always something to do. It comes with the territory.

For my Sherman Oaks condo, its pretty much already upgraded. I just use it as a rental/income property. Just glad I have great tenants living there.

Old 01-30-2012, 02:01 PM

1,707 posts, read 6,212,342 times
I had my current home built in 2003. I perfectly content with it. I don't care about keeping up with anybody. I just buy what I like and live life.

Old 01-30-2012, 02:08 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,860,573 times
One of my coworkers asked everyone to be on the lookout for a new home for her. She said she needed 5 bedrooms and 6 baths, minimum. She and her husband have one child, and have always said they weren't going to have any more.

So I asked why she needed so many bedrooms and baths, and she looked at me like I was from Mars. She said because they only have 4 bedrooms and 4 bathrooms now, of course.

Old 01-30-2012, 02:14 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,083,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
One of my coworkers asked everyone to be on the lookout for a new home for her. She said she needed 5 bedrooms and 6 baths, minimum. She and her husband have one child, and have always said they weren't going to have any more.

So I asked why she needed so many bedrooms and baths, and she looked at me like I was from Mars. She said because they only have 4 bedrooms and 4 bathrooms now, of course.
Ask her if she's planning to run a prostitution ring with those extra bedrooms!

Old 01-30-2012, 02:20 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,083,010 times
I'm content enough with my home. I've been here for 20 years. Hubby has been here for almost 40 years. There were times I would have liked to have an extra room or two, not necessarily bedrooms though. Yet we managed to comfortably raise our children here. With our empty nest, it's the perfect size.

We do plan to buy one more house or build one if we can't find what we want. We're not upgrading though. We're just aiming for one level living, thinking of the future when stairs might become a problem. We'll probably keep the same square footage but the floor plan will be much more versatile than our current one.

Old 01-30-2012, 02:38 PM

4,280 posts, read 12,672,427 times
My last two homes were new builds. Only in this one for one year and no plans to ever move again but yet I could go around and build a to do/change list...but I do not...I fight the urge by pouring myself another drink.....LOL

Old 01-30-2012, 03:11 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,323,996 times
Peoples lives do change, etc. and housing needs change. Our first house had 998 sq feet. It was fine for the two of us, mostly ok when we had our first. We moved due to a job transfer but when we had our next two, there is no way that house would have worked for us. Our second home had 2200 sq feet and a great layout. We could have stayed in that home for a long time (upgrading as we went along) but moved because of a job transfer. Our next place had about 2800 sq feet, it was ok, but nothing great, our next place, had 3500 sq feet, LOVED that house...and then another job transfer. Current place has 3600 sq feet and it works for us quite well. It has 4 bedrooms and 4 bathrooms. I would have liked to have 5 bedrooms so we would have had a dedicated guest room but not a huge deal.

We will be moving again in a year, another job transfer. The next house we are going to build because hopefully it will be our LAST transfer. I want certain features that will work for us now and through our retirement years. I will also put some features into it specifically for resale value. It will have 5 bedrooms. No, we don't "need" 5 bedrooms except when the kids start coming home with eventual families but we want to have at least 3 bedrooms on one of the levels but not on the main floor. It just doesn't work with our house plans, lot sizes, etc. The house overall will be a bit smaller than what we have now--probably about 3300 sq feet.

Old 01-30-2012, 03:33 PM

22,599 posts, read 47,698,122 times
2400 sq ft, 4 bedroom 3.5 bathrooms, very nice outdoor space, great neighbors...
We have been here since 1987 and have everything we need.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House