Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2012, 08:03 AM

1 posts, read 5,617 times

Advertisements

hello to all

i want to lay planks in my attic. can i nail them down on the insulation without any problem. without preparation for moisture which can lead to mold. hope this is clear.

thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2012, 08:51 AM

2,362 posts, read 5,140,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tryintolearn1sttimeowner View Post
hello to all

i want to lay planks in my attic. can i nail them down on the insulation without any problem. without preparation for moisture which can lead to mold. hope this is clear.

thank you
leave gaps between the boards for air movements and just tack the boards down if you must ..

Old 02-02-2012, 09:15 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
It is cheaper and more useful to lay in plywood. Any reason ou want to use planks?

I have done this in every house (plywood) for at least part of the attic, and i have never had any problem. Unless oyur roof is leaking, you will nto get that much moisture up there.

If you have trusses, you may not be able to put anything in the attic unless your trusses are engineered for storage.

Old 02-02-2012, 09:44 AM

4,003 posts, read 10,841,368 times
Post a picture of your attic so we can see what you are working with.

Old 02-02-2012, 11:17 AM

17,475 posts, read 66,054,754 times
According to the National Insulation Map for the U.S.; the northeastern part of PA requires an R-value of R-38 to R-60 for the attic. That's approximately 14"-24" of insulation. If your home has insulation to that capacity you need to keep it. If it doesn't, I highly recommend you put that money for 'planks' toward insulation.
Compressing the insulation will yield way less than the required standard. But, if you absolutely have to have floor space in the attic, have a raised platform built so you can maintain the correct depth of insulation.
This is probably the easiest way to achieve a raised platform:
http://images.oldhouseweb.com/stories/bitmaps/12201/4.gif (broken link)

Last edited by K'ledgeBldr; 02-02-2012 at 11:26 AM..

Old 02-02-2012, 12:17 PM

3,989 posts, read 6,576,956 times
Funny - last year I removed almost all the planks in my attic because the insulation was way less than in needed to be. I left planks in a smaller section for storage and beefed up the insulation in the rest of the attic. I would recommend if you do this, do it only in a small area. Also, planks may be necessary because if the size opening to the attic is small, there would be no way to get plywood up there….

Old 02-02-2012, 12:39 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,804,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
According to the National Insulation Map for the U.S.; the northeastern part of PA requires an R-value of R-38 to R-60 for the attic. That's approximately 14"-24" of insulation. If your home has insulation to that capacity you need to keep it. If it doesn't, I highly recommend you put that money for 'planks' toward insulation.
Compressing the insulation will yield way less than the required standard. But, if you absolutely have to have floor space in the attic, have a raised platform built so you can maintain the correct depth of insulation.
This is probably the easiest way to achieve a raised platform:
This seems to be what they did in my house were the hvac is sitting in the attic.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House