Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 11:15 AM

Location: Downtown Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill,Homestead for now
512 posts, read 1,224,715 times

Advertisements

Our A/C is 7years old. First we noticed the problem when the ceiling had a water stain. So we use shop vac last month and i put a pan to prevent water from dripping on the celling. So yesterday we used compressed air to clean the main line. Clear water gushed outside. So the main line is clear. We sucked water in the drain pan. We did this at 6pm and 11pm we heard water dripping again in the tray i put.

During the day the thermostat is set to 78 and we don't get a leak in the evening it is set to 75 and we get a leak and it does not happen all the time. The coils look clean to us and the filter too.

HELP Do we need to clean coils? Why is this happening in the evening

Last edited by NCtoMiami; 05-15-2012 at 12:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2012, 11:15 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,734,875 times
Isn't there a pipe running from the AC to the outside? This pipe drains away condensation. Is it possible this pipe is clogged (with algae?) and the water is leaking into your house?

Video: How to Stop Air Conditioner Condensation Drip | eHow.com

Old 05-15-2012, 12:23 PM

23,590 posts, read 70,367,145 times
You have already done the basics. My first guess is that if you used compressed air from the OUTSIDE and blew it through going upstream, that you blew the snot into the pan, and as the pan fills with water, the traces of snot moves to cover or partly cover the drain outlet.

If you have one of those little household steamers, you can clean the pan with that. Otherwise fill it with warm water and a non-caustic cleaner, shove it around with a brush or stick, then shop vac that out. It may be dripping at night because there is more moisture in the air from cooking or washing dishes.

Old 05-15-2012, 01:18 PM
QIS

920 posts, read 5,146,159 times
Not done with the basics yet.
When you write" outside" do you mean near the ground or higher than that?
If the pipe end is near the ground, then it is your primary condensate drain line; if it is higher and over a door or window then it is your secondary condensate drain line( primary drains are near the ground). Water emanating from a secondary drain line indicates a clog or other issue with the primary drain line. By code and manufacturer's specs, you must have both a primary and a secondary if the evaporator coil is over a living space. Make sure you can locate the termination for both lines. Sometimes a primary drain will terminate into the tail piece of a sink drain line so look under the sinks if you don't see it outside. That uses a rubber hose to connect to the sink which can be crimped and or clogged. Both the primary and secondary lines must be clear functional at all times.
If everything looks clean, it probably is. The catch pans and drain lines can be cracked or improperly pitched/sloped( even in a newer building) which can produce leaks and overflows.
It's generally a service call item if you just can't get it resolved. Please let us know what happens

Old 05-15-2012, 01:40 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,912,049 times
The next thing you do is call a professional as you have other issues. The unit has a primary drain pan that is apparently clogged up as there should be no water draining into the secondary drain pan. Apparently the secondary drain pan isn't installed correctly either otherwise it should be draining. It should not be clogged with algae at all mostly because it shouldn't have water in it at all unless the primary is screwed up. While I can appreciate your attempts at fixing it yourself, it's beyond what you know about your system. Call a pro and watch what he does and have him explain it to you what he's doing and why so you know the next time it happens.

Old 05-15-2012, 01:56 PM
QIS

No sunlight, no algae

Old 05-15-2012, 03:15 PM

Iam including the photo. I placed the small container to prevent the water from leaking to the carpet and then ceiling.
Charles-Yes there is a pipe running from AC to the outside. I know this because when we used compressed air tank inside the water gashed on the outside pipe
Harry chickpea- True maybe the snot blew inside the pan or maybe the pipe from the pan is still blocked which i don't think so because we poured water inside drip pan and the water drained out. One thing we poured a lot of water before it started draining out.
QIS- when i say outside yes it is pipe coming from the ground 30centimeters. Yes i think it is the primary condesate drain line. I dont think we have secondary
TrapperL-We want to try unclogging it and if all fails call the pro.
Attached Thumbnails
A/C leaking water??-ac.jpeg.jpg  

Last edited by NCtoMiami; 05-15-2012 at 03:23 PM..

Old 05-15-2012, 04:14 PM
QIS

You don't have secondary, you have an open pipe where the secondary should be or once was or was intended to be. The black gizmo on top of that pipe is supposed to shut off the system if water is detected. Something is going on to have water in the secondary line, could be pitch of the pan.
have you had ANY issues with the condensate drain system before. The lack of a trap and vent (capped?) on the primary and an unclamped observation tubing section makes me wonder....I would call an HVAC company for sure.

Old 05-15-2012, 04:45 PM

picture 2
Attached Thumbnails
A/C leaking water??-ac-2.jpg  

Old 05-15-2012, 05:31 PM

23,590 posts, read 70,367,145 times
There is a possibility here, judging from where you have that pan and the clean clear plastic. While the secondary drain is a code issue, I don't think it has anything to do with what you are experiencing.

Wait until you hear the dripping, then bring a flashlight, a hand mirror, and a small camera. Cut the fan or power and remove the filter, then look up into the bottom of the coil using the flashlight and mirror. If you see something unusual, take a pic. My guess is we'll see a fistful of ice buildup at one spot on the coils, or icing near the expansion valve. That would explain the evening dripping. The coil would be almost constantly cold all day until evening, then when the AC cuts off in the cooler evening, the ice begins to melt. Since the ice is not over the pan, and melting water doesn't have to follow the coil fins, it drips through the filter.

If that is the case, you are likely looking at either a new coil or new unit. Seven years is early for something like this, but it does happen. I would NOT use the same company that installed the last one, and I would watch the installation like a hawk.

-edit to add. Before calling in a tech, make SURE all register vents are open, the fan is moving air properly, and you aren't getting icing simply because of reduced airflow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House