Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 08:54 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,403,981 times

Advertisements

Consumer reports seems to have them rated close, but aura is slightly better in stains and in smoothness.

any thoughts from people who have made a choice between these?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2012, 05:11 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
Consumer reports seems to have them rated close, but...
any thoughts...?
Consumer Reports ain't what it used to be.

If the person holding the tools is willing to do the prep work completely and well (few are) and that person has some degree of experience and skill using the tools and the paint (even fewer) then that person can get a good job out of even the least expensive and completely unadvertised paint choices like "Amerca's Finest" sold at Home Depot.

If you want to spend more... if that makes you happy... then make yourself happy.
But high price paint won't fix poor prep and weak skills.

Old 05-22-2012, 05:51 AM

I'm not really concerned about prep and whatnot. That part will be fine. I've never had any issues with CR's reviews.

Anyways....anyone who has used both care to weigh in? Thanks!

Old 05-22-2012, 07:26 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Anyways....anyone who has used both care to weigh in? Thanks!
One anecdote is as good as another:
Quote:
I'm looking at behr or benjamin moore... and i've had luck with them. sherwin williams isn't bad...
the few times my family has used it, it was fine.
The point is that what you described as being "luck"... ain't luck.
It's your experience painting and your willingness to do the prep.

Like motor oil... yeah, there are differences between national brands.
But nothing substantially so.

Old 05-22-2012, 07:59 AM

16,904 posts, read 16,127,347 times
Hi Bradykp.
Go with the Regal Wall Satin.
Aura's not really bad or anything, it's just that it's not worth the extra money, to me.
The Regal Wall Satin is my #1 choice of any paint, although I have used some that were just about as good, made by Porter Paints.
I tell you this as a lifer-painter.

Old 05-22-2012, 12:02 PM

MrRational - i wasn't discounting what you were saying, but i come across a lot of people who just toss Consumer Reports aside. I find that they test many products and give good feedback, based on a controlled environment of testing things in similar applications. If you find that not very useful, that's great. But when they call something out as being bad or really good, it's most often true.

I know it's not luck literally. I prepped it, and i painted carefully. But some paint brands apply and cover better than others, and some are horrible to clean marks off of, and some fade quicker than others.

So, to rainroosty...that's what I am thinking. I don't see the benefit of Aura over Regal. I doubt I'll use Satin finish for the walls though...I was thinking Eggshell. Any reason you like Satin?

Old 05-22-2012, 02:53 PM

78 posts, read 330,478 times
I have used BM paints almost exclusively in my three houses. Regal is an excellent product and would use it except my wife is very sensitive to the smell. Aurora has less smell than regal and seems to cover better than regal dark to light. Recently again due to smell used natura which does not have any smell but does not cover as well as the others.

Old 05-29-2012, 02:46 PM

seems to be the Aura is just the paint + primer mix...and of course they say it's got proprietary technology that helps it bond better. I think i'll stick to the regal.

explains why it covers better also. Since we're working on bare sheet rock, primer is going on, then paint, so no reason to use the paint + primer really

Old 05-29-2012, 10:50 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,144,742 times
Regal has primer built in also. I have been using Ben. Moore for years and when Aura came out I tried it. I didnt like it. I have heard there is a trick to using it. I dunno what that is. I stick with Regal myself.

Old 05-30-2012, 08:40 AM

the guy at the paint store said regal is just paint, aura is paint + primer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House