Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2012, 05:00 AM

470 posts, read 1,278,471 times

Advertisements

It is time to seal my granite countertops, I went to home depot and was surprised that there was only 1 sealer and the price was freaking ridiculous! Can anyone recommend a sealer? If so, where should I buy it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2012, 09:30 AM

600 posts, read 3,449,230 times
Call a local ceramic tile distributor like DalTile or American Olean Tile. They carry top quality sealers. The price you should pay for a quart of a good quality sealer is from $45 - $65. Cheap sealers have very little acrylic or poly solids in them, and that's what does the actual job of protecting your stone. Dupont makes a good line (Bulletproof) as does Aqua-Mix (Sealers Choice Gold). There are plenty of others out there, but if you buy a cheap one, you will not get the protection you need.

Regards,
Streamer1212

Old 06-08-2012, 10:36 AM
SXN

350 posts, read 1,289,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blakeas View Post
It is time to seal my granite countertops, I went to home depot and was surprised that there was only 1 sealer and the price was freaking ridiculous! Can anyone recommend a sealer? If so, where should I buy it?
Forget Lowes or Home Depot. I just bought a spray on sealer from Lowes and it doesn't do anything but fume up the house.

Old 06-08-2012, 12:51 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,189,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SXN View Post
Forget Lowes or Home Depot. I just bought a spray on sealer from Lowes and it doesn't do anything but fume up the house.
More than likely you bought an oil-base ceramic sealer since the water-base ones usually don't smell too bad. However, the ones usually sold at Home Depot and Lowe's are not of an industrial grade like the ones used by granite-top makers.

That OP can have a local countertop maker reseal the countertop, or to buy an industrial sealer like the ones used by granite-top makers. These sealers are a lot more expensive than the ones found at Lowe's and Home Depot, and usually require the use of a respirator with the proper filters.

Old 06-08-2012, 01:13 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,064,806 times
If the granite isn't already sealed-
Natural Stone Countertop Sealer | DuPont? StoneTech® Professional
If it was sealed by the fabricator, but in need of re-coating-
Revitalizer® Cleaner and Protector | DuPont? StoneTech® Professional
Dupont products are the preferred products of many fabricators.

How to check if the granite is sealed-
Make sure surface area is clean, dry and free of waxes and coatings.
Apply a drop of water 1 inch in diameter to the stone surface, then allow the water to stand on the stone for 5-30 minutes.
If surface is unsealed, the water will absorb into the stone and darken the surface (absorption speed will depend on porosity of the stone).
If surface is already sealed or if stone is very dense, the water will bead up and stand on the surface.

Old 06-11-2012, 11:44 AM

1,959 posts, read 3,102,059 times
Since we are talking tile, I need advice. Just had my kitchen backsplash in stalled and am ready to seal the small, natural stone tiles. But..... am I supposed to seal the grout first, separatly and THEN seal the stone a few days later or will the stone sealer also seal the grout? It doesnt say on the directions. I did buy the sealer at Lowes and it was expensive. Is it ok do you think??? thanx

Old 06-11-2012, 12:15 PM

600 posts, read 3,449,230 times
You can seal the stone tile and the grout at the same time. Two coats, at least. Maybe three. Stone tiles and grout are both pretty porous, and the sealer should be a water based penetrating sealer that goes into the tile and grout rather than just coating them. Hence the two or three coats. They can be applied one right after the other, with no down time, or atleast a minimal down time, like 30 - 45 mins. between coats.

Regards,
Streamer1212

Old 06-11-2012, 02:26 PM

1,959 posts, read 3,102,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Streamer1212 View Post
You can seal the stone tile and the grout at the same time. Two coats, at least. Maybe three. Stone tiles and grout are both pretty porous, and the sealer should be a water based penetrating sealer that goes into the tile and grout rather than just coating them. Hence the two or three coats. They can be applied one right after the other, with no down time, or atleast a minimal down time, like 30 - 45 mins. between coats.

Regards,
Streamer1212
Thanx!!! that will save me alot of work

Old 06-11-2012, 04:17 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,052,779 times
I have always used solvent based sealers on my granite - they are superior to water based sealers.

Solvent based penetrating sealers have a higher durability because they are able to penetrate deeper within the stone. Water based, on the other hand, cannot penetrate any deeper into the stone than it will absorb.

In the denser stones, a water based sealer will not penetrate as deeply and leave the protection just below the surface. This means there is less protection of the stone over longer periods of time. Stones with a high rate of absorption will take the protective sealers deeper into the stone. A water based penetrating sealer works well with very porous natural stones (not granite).

If you are sealing granite or natural stone kitchen counters, look for an oil repellant impregnator. An oil resistant impregnator will only slow the absorption of oil while an oil repellant impregnator will keep the oil from entering the stone. All of them work well to protect stone. Some repel water better and others oil.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House