Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 05:46 PM

302 posts, read 690,481 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

Hoping someone can help us out on what we need to do here. I've no idea what, if any, laws apply to protect consumers from sloppy AC work.

I live in Austin, TX. 2 weeks ago, AC repair came by because our the line going outside from the AC was freezing. They supposedly had already fixed it 2-3 months ago, but obviously it hadn't worked.

Well, now that's fixed. The line is not freezing anymore. However, it looks like whatever they did up in the attic caused water to start leaking. From the looks of it, the water pooled on the ceiling (there's a bulge up there where the drops were falling) and it also accumulated in the wall, where we can now see a line of moisture along the wall, along with some drooping paint.

I called the AC company again, they're sending someone to take a look.

My question is, how big a deal is it that it looks like for 2 weeks water's been accumulating on the wall? Should I be concerned? And is the AC company on the hook to fix this? I'm thinking we'll have a fight on our hands if we say they'll need to fix whatever damage happened to ceiling and wall.

The fire alarm is now going off randomly throughout the house, so I'm assuming water got into that as well.

Any thoughts???

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2012, 06:04 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,176,191 times
Now that the AC is cooling you may have a clogged drain line for the condensation. Have you been in your attic and looked to see if the overflow pan is full of water ?

There is an air pipe to the drain line and about 3 times a year I pour a mix of 2/3 water and 1/3 bleach down it to flush out the line and keep it from clogging.

I'll bet your AC guy is not at fault and you've neglected maintaining your system. That line needs to be flushed out so your AC will drain. Also ask him about the secondary drain line. It should route the water outside if the main line clogs.

Old 08-22-2012, 06:06 PM

BTW, you need to get it fixed ASAP or we'll be discussing a mold problem inside your walls.

Old 08-22-2012, 06:16 PM

Yes, I went upstairs. There is no water in the overflow pan. I saw one of the pvc pipes that comes out of the AC leaking water directly into the attic floor. From the looks of it, it appears the AC repairman disconnected it, did not reconnect it.

Took a video just to be on the safe side.

Plus, the house is 6 years old. And these guys supposedly did maintenance on the AC when they did the duct work, and installed a central air filter, fixed it not 3 months ago.

Old 08-22-2012, 06:18 PM

How long does it take to for mold issues to happen? Again, this seems to be an issue from not 2 weeks ago.

Old 08-22-2012, 06:23 PM

You should be OK on the mold but I would put a fan in the attic to blow air and dry it out for a few days. That pipe may have come disconnected by itself or by the AC guy. Your AC pulls moisture out of the air and it needs to drain somewhere. You need to pay attention to it draining and do the bleach water mix I mentioned. Get your AC guy to show you.

Is your filters in the attic ? I go in mine about 4-5 times a year to change filters and check out the drain pan.

Old 08-22-2012, 07:38 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,919,856 times
I would say right off that you have more than one problem. Assuming that the unit is in the attic, it has a primary drain line. I assume that's the line they say was "freezing". It wasn't freezing but if you haven't been keeping clorox in it once a month, it probably clogged with algae which is common in Texas. You also have a secondary drain pan that sits under the entire unit. The purpose of this pan is to catch any water should the primary drain become clogged. The drain for the secondary pan is supposed to exit at a conspicuous location, like over a door, window, somewhere that is highly visible. No water should be escaping from both.
But I do have concerns that yer A/C guy may be clueless if he told you the drain line was frozen- they don't in Texas heat. They can become clogged like I said but they don't freeze.

Old 08-22-2012, 07:54 PM

I'll bet his compressor or outside line was "frozen" due to low Freon not the drain line. Low Freon causes the compressor to work longer and freezes. (I think).

Old 08-23-2012, 07:16 AM

Ok. From the looks of it, the primary drain line "somehow" was disconnected (I had no idea what it was until AC guy said what it was). Not sure where it discharges the water. So the water was all falling on the attic floor, and going down our wall. We don't know for how long.

The line that was getting frozen was the one that goes to the fan. 1st guy from AC company that came said the freon was fine, used a tool to measure pressure. But he obviously missed the actual cause. It was the 2nd guy (3rd visit from company) who said that the insulation inside the unit in the attic was loose, getting sucked into the fan and stopping airflow, which was causing the freezing to occur. He used industrial glue to put it back where it was supposed to go.

3rd AC guy (same company) came yesterday and didn't really see where the problem was, so I showed him video on my phone of the pvc pipe where the water was coming out. He glued it back up.

We now have a company coming over to supposedly dry the wall/rug, remove some wet dry wall. After several days of fans & dehumedifiers, they then repatch everything again, and repaint. Hallway already smells musty.

We'll call AC company again and complain, see where it takes us. We're also filling claim with insurance.

Just sucks overall.

Regardless, thanks for assist. It's appreciated.

Old 08-23-2012, 08:51 AM

2,310 posts, read 6,824,560 times
OP. Good Luck.... Keep us posted about what the insurance company says and whether you find other problems due to this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House