Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2013, 07:21 PM

2,135 posts, read 4,273,726 times

Advertisements

I've wondered this since were looking at some houses. We have a dog and would love to walk ou in a backyard and let her run loose. I can have a garden and not have Joe schmoe next door mow his lawn and throw grass clippings in my garden. I would say were private people. I honestly don't want anybody seeing what I'm doing in my backyard. Not that I'm doing anything illegal, but if I want to walk out in my boxers to let the dog out I don't have the neighbor's kid staring at me.

So what if you don't have a fence. Can you just up and make one? I'm talking about the 6-7 foot tall fences made out of wood with posts on the other side every 5 feet or so. I mean it is my property....can I build one? If you were a neighbor and just started to see me building a fence would you get rude thinking I'm trying to block you from seeing me (which I am )? Do I need some BS permit to make a fence?

I've just wondered this. We have seen plenty of houses we like, but most are just open yards and who knows where your property starts and ends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2013, 07:56 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by packer43064 View Post
So what if you don't have a fence. Can you just up and make one?
Maybe.
Depends on your local laws and your HOA rules, if any.

Quote:
Do I need some BS permit to make a fence?
Possibly.

Quote:
We have seen plenty of houses we like, but most are just open yards and who knows where your property starts and ends.
Your survey will tell you exactly where your property starts and ends.

Old 05-04-2013, 07:58 PM

2,430 posts, read 5,580,504 times
I bought a house in an established neighborhood (50 yrs old), and yes, the yards ran into each other. Since lack of privacy was a big concern with my old house, I bought the new one knowing that I would eventually put up a fence, and I did. I put it up a year after I moved in. As for the neighbors, I chatted with them and just let them know that one was going up.

Fencing usually comes in 8-foot sections, with 6 foot being the tallest allowed for most places. I put up a 6-foot privacy fence, made of 4" wide, 3/4" thick pressure treated wood (no maintenance). The posts were set in cement (I think), since it can get a little soggy here in the spring.

You will most likely need a permit -- check with your borough/township. They will have rules regarding property lines, etc. If the house is also in an HOA neighborhood, there will also be rules regarding fences. And lastly, call your utility providers to stake out your yard before you dig.

Old 05-04-2013, 08:18 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,235,515 times
^^^ What Pitt Chick said.

Fencing falls under local ordinances and HOAs. Call the city (or county, as the case may be) planning office for guidance if not in an HOA. If the home is in an HOA you'll also have that to contend with. Most construction does require a building permit, and that's mainly so you don't build something you'll have to tear down because it didn't meet codes.

Unless there are no two-story or split-level homes in the neighborhood, a fence isn't likely to keep out all the neighbor's eyes. My neighbor behind me has a ranch style and can still see over our fence since the land slopes away from each of our homes. IIRC, residential fences in my town are limited to 6 feet, and it goes down from there depending on where it is in relation to bordering streets.

Old 05-04-2013, 09:23 PM

3,177 posts, read 6,824,656 times
One thing to also consider with wood privacy fences is that in many areas it is required that the "bad" (i.e. unfinished "ugly" side with the bracing and posts) must face inwards. Of course means the "good" (nice looking side) faces outward towards your neighbors.

At my old house when I bought it 8 years ago in Pennsylvania, the neighbors were in the process of putting up a fence when I was there for my home inspection. Well, they put up a wood privacy fence with the "bad" side facing me. When I put up my own vinyl privacy fence across the back, code enforcement came out to do the inspection. When the inspector saw the neighbor's fence, he promptly went and knocked on their door and told them they had to get the fence company back out to fix it and gave them ten days to do it.

Last edited by HWTechGuy; 05-04-2013 at 09:38 PM..

Old 05-04-2013, 09:45 PM

2,135 posts, read 4,273,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HWTechGuy View Post
One thing to also consider with wood privacy fences is that in many areas it is required that the "bad" (i.e. unfinished "ugly" side with the bracing and posts) must face inwards. Of course means the "good" (nice looking side) faces outward towards your neighbors.

At my old house when I bought it 8 years ago in Pennsylvania, the neighbors were in the process of putting up a fence when I was there for my home inspection. Well, they put up a wood privacy fence with the "bad" side facing me. When I put up my own vinyl privacy fence across the back, code enforcement came out to do the inspection. When the inspector saw the neighbor's fence, he promptly went and knocked on their door and told them they had to get the fence company back out to fix it and gave them ten days to do it.
I've wondered that too. Would the "bad" side need to be facing you or the neighbor? Ehh. I don't care a fence is a fence in the end.

Old 05-04-2013, 09:50 PM

3,177 posts, read 6,824,656 times
The "bad" side has to face the owner of the fence. Made me glad I went with vinyl.

Old 05-05-2013, 06:59 AM

2,430 posts, read 5,580,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HWTechGuy View Post
When I put up my own vinyl privacy fence across the back, code enforcement came out to do the inspection. When the inspector saw the neighbor's fence, he promptly went and knocked on their door and told them they had to get the fence company back out to fix it and gave them ten days to do it.
I got a permit from my borough to put up my fence. After it was up, they came out and inspected it, to make sure it complied with my application. (I wasn't home -- they left some signed paperwork for me). I'm guessing they didn't do that with your neighbor's fence.

Old 05-05-2013, 08:44 AM

4,625 posts, read 12,295,255 times
The old building code here on West coast says fences under 6' can be built without permit. However, local ordinances may be enforced such as the good neighbor fence mentioned previously in this thread. At my home in California I placed a concrete curb around my entire property line with Simpson fence post brackets. With all the lumber above ground I thought I'd never have to build another fence ever. I also built it in such a way to gain as much height, and make it look good on both sides. Takes more labor & materials, but no bad side. From the top of my curb I went 6', and the added a 16" lattice top. Because it can be seen through it isn't included in code limitations. You also can't build fence higher than 3'-6" from the most forward part of your structure to the street (usually the garage). So I used the same method of gaining height with the lattice.

Check with your local municipality for additional requirements, and build to your hearts content.

Last edited by MrWillys; 05-05-2013 at 09:50 AM..

Old 05-05-2013, 09:23 AM

4,280 posts, read 12,669,028 times
Personally I dislike fences but if I were to build one, I would look at types that appear "finished" on both sides.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House