Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2013, 09:09 AM

10,049 posts, read 18,083,414 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecilia_Rose View Post
Pruning would definily be the easiest option. If youre not comfortable doing it I would get some prices. Might be cheaper than looking at wonky bushes.
Some people in my neighborhood use gardeners. I have no objection to that, but I really want to get out there and do some digging/etc. -- or at least I want to learn HOW!

Quote:
If you like the Rhodies I would move them now instead of later. The bigger things are the harder they are to move. You might check on having them moved by a landscaper. Mature plants are big $$$$. Also I dont know much about Rhodies. Maybe they havent bloomed cause people keep messing with them. Some plants need to be left alone.
This was definitely the case with the Rhododendron at my last house -- I never did a thing to it and it came back year after year. It was really beautiful when in bloom -- I wish the bloom time were longer!

Quote:
Question. Will the future porch cover the existing sidewalk. Cant tell how deep the shrubs are from the pic.
You can't see from the photo, but the shrubs are planted about 3-3.5' out from the foundation, then they take up maybe another 3-3.5' of depth themselves, so the path is about 6-7' away from the house. The porch will likely be 8' deep (would like to go a bit deeper but not sure if I can) so the path will have to be moved at that time.

I don't know why they planted so far away from the foundation (that wasn't the case at my last house). This past winter snow falling from the roof split one of the shrubs in two -- you can't really tell from the front but when I walk up the stairs to the front door I can see the split part. I think that one definitely needs to come out!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2013, 11:20 AM

2,932 posts, read 5,423,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
I had a rhododendron at my last house and it looked beautiful when it bloomed (although that was only about a month out of the year). In the year I've been here at the new house, these rhodos have NEVER bloomed. I think I will cut them way back.
I live in the Mid-Atlantic area, and our rhodies have not started to bloom yet. Maybe give yours just a little bit more time? I'm not sure that rhodies are the ideal candidate for being cut way back...maybe you should just dig them out and discard. Personally, I think that would be a shame, as maybe they just need a little trim.

Pruning Rhododendrons - Horticulture Notes

As far as the bushes adjacent to your walkway...are they yew by any chance? You can give them a pretty good "haircut" without harming them (although, they may look a little "bald" the first year).

MSU Extension

Old 04-28-2013, 04:36 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,715,354 times
A couple of comments.

Trimming arborvitae is a more careful exercise than just "trim away" as was mentioned in an earlier post. They aren't like other evergreens. If you trim back too far there is a chance they will never fill back in. Trim lightly, and multiple times. Let the light trim fill in in between.

A response I received from an expert to this question:

Quote:
The best way to avoid making them "ugly" would be to trim off the newest growth at the top and along the sides and be rather gentle about trimming into the older or more "woody" growth. You can trim the older wood, however, take your time and do so gradually so as not to leave them "ugly". If they have not been trimmed in a few years, it may take time (a few years of trimming) to get them back down close to the height you would like without jeopardizing their looks. Be sure to give them a good dose of fertilizer (perhaps a granular organic kind for slow absorption) after trimming. You can do some trimming now but only feed after you trim in May/June of next year. Take your time and be patient with them and they will respond beautifully.
And if you decide to tie something between the plants and a truck to remove them be cautious. My next door neighbor decided to do this and when they did the tow ring on the ruck broke off. The shrub didn't even move...

Your comment concerning adding plants to the area after removing plants then having to remove them later when the porch goes in can be solved by using annuals until it's time to build the porch.

Old 04-28-2013, 05:00 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,074,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
A
And if you decide to tie something between the plants and a truck to remove them be cautious. My next door neighbor decided to do this and when they did the tow ring on the ruck broke off. The shrub didn't even move...
You don't want to slam into it, and you may have to work it a few times for bigger bushes. If you can get a rocking motion going like your stuck. I've pulled out plenty of bushes like that. The only ones that it failed on were the ones at my new house and those were hardly bushes, they were more like trees with 5 or 6 inch bases.

As far as safety goes this is why I didn't suggest a chain, most people aren't going to have the proper chain for this...

Old 04-30-2013, 01:15 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,715,354 times
True. These guys weren't the brightest pair, and I'm pretty sure they took off as fast could be and hit the end of that connection going as fast as possible.

Edit. Reread my earlier post. "The ring on the ruck broke off." Man I love typos. Even my own!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House