Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2007, 09:13 PM

Location: Sometimes Maryland, sometimes NoVA. Depends on the day of the week
1,501 posts, read 11,751,452 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiangel_writer View Post
Many times one runs into problems when there are trees in the yard and the roots invade the sock pipe (which is the black pipe that runs all over your yard!) and either strangles it or if you have the old clay breakable pipe, it can collapse on itself and this will back up a septic system.
The problems you mention here have to do with problems in the drain field, not the tank itself. Pumping the tank keeps stuff from going downstream and clogging your drain field, but the trees in your drainfield don't affect the tank.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2007, 08:30 AM

1,408 posts, read 8,020,951 times
I had mine pumped 2 years ago and plan to have it done again next year. It cost me $175 to have it pumped (live in MA). There are only 2 of us. I would rather pay for it to be pumped every 3 years than come home one day to find it all over my yard which is MUCH more expensive.

Old 11-05-2007, 06:34 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,746,975 times
Quote:
but the trees in your drainfield don't affect the tank.
Ah, if only it were so.

Trees are insidious seekers of moisture, and their roots will grow to great lengths to find it. It's very possible for fine "hair" roots to establish themselves in a weeping tile and then grow upstream toward the tank. I recently saw a tank that had its 4-inch header pipe (the pipe that distributes effluent from the tank to the individual weeping lines) plugged solid with hair roots which had originated some 30 feet down one of the weeping lines. Needless to say, the owner of system had to replace the entire leech bed.

The culprit tree in this case was a 34-inch diameter Carolina poplar located approximately 100 feet from the edge of the weeping bed. The tree was removed to prevent a repeat performance.

Regularly pumping a tank gives the property owner an opportunity to inspect the tank. It also provides an opportunity to add various commercial root removers to the liquid side of the tank, or, in the case of a raised bed system, to the pumping chamber.

Old 11-06-2007, 05:39 AM

176 posts, read 1,146,600 times
I pump my tank every two years.

Here's a table to give you an idea.

How often should I have my septic system pumped? - Keidel Bath, Plumbing, Kitchen - Cincinnati, OH (http://www.keidel.com/resource/sewage/septic-clean.htm - broken link)

Old 01-07-2008, 09:52 PM

1 posts, read 3,968 times
Smile all depends

Ok, simple solution. Pour all the bleach you feel like down your system and not going to be a problem as long as you add bacteria that the bleach is killing off!!

minor problem or cheap maintenance ridex.com
medium problem www.roebik.com (broken link)
big problem go with commercial septic tank treatment [url=http://www.newtechbio.com]Septic Tank Treatment - Specialized septic tank treatment products[/url] septic tank treatment. My washer machine goes directly into my septic and no problems and NO PUMPOUTS for 12 years straight! I use newtech's packages and the bacteria that is killed through bleach and anything else I throw at the system is replensihed. You do not need a yearly pumpout as log as you have strong bacterial counts. Find a product that suits your budget and get on a regular maintenance program and keep the system in tip top shape.

Good luck

Old 01-07-2008, 10:27 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,186,695 times
I have mine pumped every 2 years (it ia a very old sytem) The cost is $70 to have it pumped.

Since I am selling, the sewer system will have to be replaced to the newer style in order to transfer the property. (few systems over 10 years old meets the new guidlines that have been established )

Old 02-14-2008, 05:33 AM

1 posts, read 3,912 times
Default septic replacement

we are buying a new home, but the septic failed , the sellers have agreed to pay half the cost to replace the septic for a 3 bedroom home. I am trying to get a sense of what it might cost but am having no luck finding info online. There are 2 estimates out there for replacement one is 10-15k and the other is 20-25k, and we cant understand the split??we are thinking maybe we need a 3rd price quote? as part of the agreement, we have asked to be included uin the selection process since ultimately we will be living with the septic. Anyone have expereince with septics?? knowledge of companies in NNJ (sussex country area)???

Old 02-14-2008, 02:13 PM

7,573 posts, read 10,618,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelp View Post
we are buying a new home, but the septic failed , the sellers have agreed to pay half the cost to replace the septic for a 3 bedroom home. I am trying to get a sense of what it might cost but am having no luck finding info online. There are 2 estimates out there for replacement one is 10-15k and the other is 20-25k, and we cant understand the split??we are thinking maybe we need a 3rd price quote? as part of the agreement, we have asked to be included uin the selection process since ultimately we will be living with the septic. Anyone have expereince with septics?? knowledge of companies in NNJ (sussex country area)???
We're going through the same thing at the moment, septic issues, that is and we live near your neck of the woods. Feel free to DM me...Jeannie

Old 02-14-2008, 03:05 PM

1,122 posts, read 4,108,727 times
I haven't owned a house with a septic in awhile, but my next home probably will have one. I'm planning on having it pumped every 1-2 years. It doesn't cost much more than having the transmission fluid changed in my car, which I do every year --- and a tranny is WAY cheaper than a new septic!

Old 06-17-2009, 05:43 AM

1 posts, read 3,315 times
Will oxalic acid, used to clean rust stains from a tub, damage my septic system?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House