Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Stainless Steel Appliances
Love 21 31.34%
Hate 18 26.87%
Don't care 22 32.84%
Got them because everyone else has them 6 8.96%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 02:59 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie creamcheese View Post
How did they ever achieve popularity?
They don't chip like enamel coated cast iron, are far less expensive...
and they are easy to clean (even scum that poor housekeeping will allow to build up).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2013, 03:34 PM

1,256 posts, read 4,194,278 times
As already noted, stainless steel is used extensively in the food industry - frankly, I look FIRST for same and would if redoing a kitchen.

Then again, I would have no problem whatsoever having stainless steel countertops in the kitchen as well.

Any kitchen I use would be designed for...you know...food preparation, not show.

Old 08-11-2013, 03:44 PM

1,751 posts, read 3,686,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
They don't chip like enamel coated cast iron, are far less expensive...
and they are easy to clean (even scum that poor housekeeping will allow to build up).
That is right up there with "Linoleum countertops will burn if you set a hot pot on them"

i've never chipped a porcelain sink nor burnt a countertop.

However, I also have to say that although I would not always choose a stainless appliance (it really depends on the rest of the decor) I did not find my stainless fridge to be hard to clean. I think maybe it had some coating or special finish that kept the fingerprints away???

Old 08-11-2013, 03:47 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sullyguy View Post
As already noted, stainless steel is used extensively in the food industry
As noted... the type 304 used in foodservice equipment is rarely used in residential.
The heavy gauge is never used.

Old 08-11-2013, 04:17 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,157,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Many commercial kitchens use stainless steel due to its durability and ease to disinfect and wipe clean. I'm perplexed by the responses here. I worked in a kitchen with SS equipment and can attest to these traits. Also why I bought some myself. Plus they look nice and maintain their shine for years. Regular appliances are still dirty its just more difficult to see. I would bet the 'haters' just dislike them because they want to appear different.
It makes a lot of sense to have stainless steel appliances in commercial kitchens for the two reasons you have mentioned (disinfecting, and durability). But unlike a commercial kitchen, home use of these appliances is not a FDA safety requirement. Besides, the usual commercial kitchen don't have kids and pets splashing stuff around and touching everything

Old 08-11-2013, 04:22 PM

677 posts, read 933,604 times
Back in March 2013 we were forced to replace 2 of our appliances, the dishwasher broke & the stove only had 3 of 4 burners working. We already had replaced the refrigerator back in 2010 & because I hated SS we bought black cause it also coordinated with our then black & beige dishwasher & stove. So now we faced the dilemma of what color goes with black? I didn't want all black appliances so we bought a upgraded SS Frigidaire gas stove w/black porcelain (I think) top & a all SS Frigidaire dishwasher in which their version of SS does not show fingerprints. The stove is very easy to clean, shows well & so far no problems. I really wanted to buy GE's "Slate" appliances which is a gray-taupe color but it would've clashed with the black refrig. I wanted to buy all new appliances for the past 5 yrs & kept hoping they'd come out with colors again, I really didn't want to buy SS but when we had to replace the refrig back in 2010 our choices were only black, white, bisque, & SS which still is the only options you have. Any talk of colors coming back again?

Old 08-11-2013, 04:26 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,201,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by librarySue View Post
i've never chipped a porcelain sink nor burnt a countertop.
I've never seen an older porcelain sink without rust spots. And I've definitely seen linoleum countertops with heat damage.

Old 08-11-2013, 04:36 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,157,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SassySpice View Post
Back in March 2013 we were forced to replace 2 of our appliances, the dishwasher broke & the stove only had 3 of 4 burners working. We already had replaced the refrigerator back in 2010 & because I hated SS we bought black cause it also coordinated with our then black & beige dishwasher & stove. So now we faced the dilemma of what color goes with black? I didn't want all black appliances so we bought a upgraded SS Frigidaire gas stove w/black porcelain (I think) top & a all SS Frigidaire dishwasher in which their version of SS does not show fingerprints. The stove is very easy to clean, shows well & so far no problems. I really wanted to buy GE's "Slate" appliances which is a gray-taupe color but it would've clashed with the black refrig. I wanted to buy all new appliances for the past 5 yrs & kept hoping they'd come out with colors again, I really didn't want to buy SS but when we had to replace the refrig back in 2010 our choices were only black, white, bisque, & SS which still is the only options you have. Any talk of colors coming back again?
I have seen some appliances that have both stainless steel and black enameled panels. Sometimes there aren't many choices at the local stores. For example, I had a white-enamel smooth-top stove that malfunctioned (the electronic control panels don't last very long), so I had to rush to the store to buy a new stove because the parts to fix the old stove would take several days to arrive via UPS. My wife and I looked at the electric stoves available locally, and settled down for a stainless steel/black stove. Now the stove matches the microwave oven, but not the white refrigerator and dishwasher. We we have gotten used to it, however

The stove has a brushed stainless steel panels (kind of a satin finish that resists fingerprints), but even so one has to be careful so that no streaks from the cleaning towel are left behind when wiping the stove clean. It's a lot more difficult for stainless steel not to show splashes from fluids, fingerprints, and the rest.

Old 08-11-2013, 06:41 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,310,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sullyguy View Post
As already noted, stainless steel is used extensively in the food industry - frankly, I look FIRST for same and would if redoing a kitchen.

Then again, I would have no problem whatsoever having stainless steel countertops in the kitchen as well.

Any kitchen I use would be designed for...you know...food preparation, not show.
I agree completely concerning the type of stainless steel appliances and accessories we are talking about. I am familiar with the food service industry and that is where I have seen the best professional-grade appliances, low-maintenance countertops, and plenty of stainless steel workspace. These are commercial and industrial grade though and if one shops around, worth the money.

Best regards, sincerely

HomeIsWhere

Last edited by HomeIsWhere...; 08-11-2013 at 06:58 PM..

Old 08-11-2013, 07:10 PM

55 posts, read 78,974 times
There is Clean Steel that is easy to clean and maintain. However, I don't like restaurante kitchen look and prefer black on black appliances. IMHO they look elegant and not as mainstream as steel or white ones.

HGTV made people want to join mindless steel cult, where they have to have it, no matter what quality.

I recently moved to Dallas and every one has to have brick elevation, no matter how ugly it looks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House