Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2016, 10:49 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,381,989 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
I might after I warn them to be careful about cars turning in, I would also get one of those turtle sings with the flag and place it in the driveway while kids were playing https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-8ypCabuRq...0/IMG_5408.JPG
You're joking...right? A driveway is PRIVATE. There is very little reason to enter someone's driveway to turn around - it is just laziness. Any parent tells their kids to watch out for cars but you can be sure kids are less vigilant in their own "yard" which I would consider the driveway to be part of. Also, if someone is so lazy as to use your driveway they're probably whipping around fast because they're late and don't want to lose more time, etc. - THEY'RE being less careful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2016, 10:57 AM

633 posts, read 582,074 times
Sometimes it is what it is. My parents bought a house on a corner with a retaining wall. Turns out it was the school bus stop, kids sat in driveway on wall every morning. House was on a hill, so retaining wall perfect height to sit on. Plus it was a busy street with cars flying by. Having kid stand on a sidewalk next to moving cars made little sense.

One day in the winter right after we got house my Dad let the kids have it, told them off and they went to side of house, he came back in all proud. Next morning when he comes out a kid nails him in the face with a snowball.

I think my Science teacher used to say for every action there is a reaction.

Old 11-23-2016, 11:29 AM

4,314 posts, read 3,999,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
You're joking...right? A driveway is PRIVATE. There is very little reason to enter someone's driveway to turn around - it is just laziness. Any parent tells their kids to watch out for cars but you can be sure kids are less vigilant in their own "yard" which I would consider the driveway to be part of. Also, if someone is so lazy as to use your driveway they're probably whipping around fast because they're late and don't want to lose more time, etc. - THEY'RE being less careful.
A driveway is NOT private property all the way to the street.

A neighbor tried putting big rock boulders in the ditch so snowmobilers driving in the ditch wouldn't cross his driveway . ( His house was very close to the highway )

A county sheriff gave him orders to remove those boulders and quit harassing snowmobilers crossing "his" driveway as the end part of his driveway he does not have control over.

Old 11-23-2016, 11:46 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,767,507 times
Quote:
You must be joking and have great life insurance on your kids.

and your driveway is not private until it's on the other side of the sidewalk if you have one.

I have a driveway and no sidewalk and I don't own the land `about 12 feet from the street to where my property starts. No one does, that's why some people with front yard fences have them set back 12 feet from the roads edge.

Old 11-23-2016, 12:13 PM

1,850 posts, read 821,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaBeachBum View Post
Sometimes it is what it is. My parents bought a house on a corner with a retaining wall. Turns out it was the school bus stop, kids sat in driveway on wall every morning. House was on a hill, so retaining wall perfect height to sit on. Plus it was a busy street with cars flying by. Having kid stand on a sidewalk next to moving cars made little sense.

One day in the winter right after we got house my Dad let the kids have it, told them off and they went to side of house, he came back in all proud. Next morning when he comes out a kid nails him in the face with a snowball.

I think my Science teacher used to say for every action there is a reaction.
I always enjoy how people give these stories and everyone is supposed to smile about the karma. Then, if the dad chases down the kid and plows his face into the ground, everyone gets all shocked instead of saying "yep, my science teacher used to say for every action there is a reaction." If you find the kid's reaction appropriate, then that reaction to the reaction is equally appropriate.

Old 11-23-2016, 12:19 PM

1,850 posts, read 821,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
A driveway is NOT private property all the way to the street.

A neighbor tried putting big rock boulders in the ditch so snowmobilers driving in the ditch wouldn't cross his driveway . ( His house was very close to the highway )

A county sheriff gave him orders to remove those boulders and quit harassing snowmobilers crossing "his" driveway as the end part of his driveway he does not have control over.
Problems with your story:

a) Nobody's house is off of a highway.

b) Putting boulders into a ditch on a highway is irrelevant to a driveway issue.

c) What a county sheriff says does not dictate absolute law, since many cops often just go by their personal opinions on small matters, which cannot be cited in courts.

d) I ignore people who say things like "you don't own the sidewalk" because they're the same people who sue the homeowner if they trip on the sidewalk.

e) Gate is the way to go. Location of gate on driveway is your choice.

Old 11-23-2016, 12:21 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,859,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njquestions View Post

a) Nobody's house is off of a highway.

b) Putting boulders into a ditch on a highway is irrelevant to a driveway issue.

c) What a county sheriff says does not dictate absolute law, since many cops often just go by their personal opinions on small matters, which cannot be cited in courts.

d) I ignore people who say things like "you don't own the sidewalk" because they're the same people who sue the homeowner if they trip on the sidewalk.

+1

although I can't rep you again

Old 11-23-2016, 12:26 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,381,989 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
You must be joking and have great life insurance on your kids.

and your driveway is not private until it's on the other side of the sidewalk if you have one.

I have a driveway and no sidewalk and I don't own the land `about 12 feet from the street to where my property starts. No one does, that's why some people with front yard fences have them set back 12 feet from the roads edge.
Nope....TG no kids...I just see all the neighbor kids who run all over heck in the cul de sac so to think they're going to be vigilant in their own driveway when they aren't otherwise is a pipedream. Personally, I don't particularly care what happens to your kids, but I wouldn't use a private driveway to turn around in, even if I can get out a tape measure and legally use the first 12 feet of it.

Old 11-23-2016, 12:40 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,859,201 times
Quote:
Nope....TG no kids...I just see all the neighbor kids who run all over heck in the cul de sac so to think they're going to be vigilant in their own driveway when they aren't otherwise is a pipedream. Personally, I don't particularly care what happens to your kids, but I wouldn't use a private driveway to turn around in, even if I can get out a tape measure and legally use the first 12 feet of it.
And how many people use only the first 12 feet of a driveway to turn around in anyway?

I have always thought it was rude to turn around in someone's driveway, especially after dark when your headlights flash into their windows.

Old 11-23-2016, 12:44 PM

4,314 posts, read 3,999,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njquestions View Post

rules/law before you dispense advice !

(a) nearly everyone's driveway leads to a PUBLIC street or highway

City streets have set back rules also

(b) the boulders were placed there to prevent snowmobiles from crossing " his " driveway

(c) if one believes a county sheriff can not give citations, one should first make the effort to get educated about right of way laws/setbacks

(d) try to block a sidewalk and see what happens !
(e) Location of gate is NOT the choice of the home owner alone
get educated about setback
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House