Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2013, 07:30 AM

1,695 posts, read 3,044,541 times

Advertisements

This is crazy! FIrst we had an issue with Drywood termites. SOlved.
Now we have these little teeny tiny ants running all over our kitchen counter. See no trail - just random. There seem to be 2 kinds - one is whitish, with 2 antennae visible, the other is more brownish, and probably even smaller than a millimeter.

But how the heck do they get up 8 flights (of a 14 story building).

People below us and above us do NOT have this problem!!!!

NUTS!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2013, 07:36 AM

1,256 posts, read 4,195,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachgns View Post
...little teeny tiny ants...one is whitish...
Uh...reads like termites, not ants. See this Google Image Search result for comparisons: Ants vs Termites

Note in particular the segmentation of the bodies.

Old 12-04-2013, 07:58 AM

Much too small to see much of anything.
There are 2 different looking whatevers crawling around - the whitish, almost translucent things that are about 1 mm long, where I can see what look like antennae or pincers (Sort of look like ticks to me, but several people have said they are SUgar Ants or Grease ants), and then there's an even smaller thing, a little more brownish, where I cannot see any detail at all of what it looks like.

They are even on counters where there is no food or grease. Have seen none on the floor. Lots near our built-in cooktop - I'm guessing they're hanging out under there.
Have not seen a trail though.

Old 12-04-2013, 08:23 AM

5,046 posts, read 9,621,027 times
This is probably in your Fl place, is it? I remember sugar ants talked about there. Do you have someone who treats your building on a regular basis? Complexes often do.

Old 12-04-2013, 02:19 PM

Yes FL - I just love florida, but not the darn bugs.
Not only in our cpndo - every time we take our dog to run at the dog park, she comes back bitten up head to toe. SHe has no hair or fur, so nothing to protect her from the bugs. And she loves to dig up their nests - she seems to have a nose for ants & termites.

Old 12-04-2013, 10:04 PM

44,628 posts, read 61,611,846 times
I think you have your answer. Dog probably brought the bugger up and a pregnant one at that.

Old 12-04-2013, 10:58 PM

5,046 posts, read 9,621,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachgns View Post
Yes FL - I just love florida, but not the darn bugs.
Not only in our cpndo - every time we take our dog to run at the dog park, she comes back bitten up head to toe. SHe has no hair or fur, so nothing to protect her from the bugs. And she loves to dig up their nests - she seems to have a nose for ants & termites.
We just couldn't let our dogs even walk on the grass eventually. There was grass at our other place and woods and they did different things there. Their Florida thing was the walking paths and lots of undivided attention from us and lots of attention from residents and vacationers who loved to see them.

Oh, and watch them licking any frogs. Frogs can have a protective chemical they secrete that can kill their 'predetor', the dog. Unfortunately, they just can't do in Fl the same things as up north.

About the sugar ants, there were times a resident handy person who watched homes and did some bug work...totally standard and necessary in Fl....had to take care of the ants about weekly till they were no longer coming, and then every so often after that.

Old 12-04-2013, 11:08 PM

3,199 posts, read 7,826,851 times
I had sugar ants when I lived in FL on a 2nd floor condo. I could not believe how many. It was when I first moved in. Anyhow I called pest control and they went through the whole place and treated it. Then I had monthly pest control. In FL in my opinion no matter how clean you are you need monthly pest control.

Old 12-05-2013, 01:48 AM

4,096 posts, read 6,216,301 times
They can live under the carpet too, if you have any.

Old 12-05-2013, 05:49 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,894,623 times
I don't know what sugar ants are, but try this stuff until you get the pest control. It's amazing. Kills instantly and they retreat!

I see ants sometimes if I have left a plate in the sink with something sweet on it. I guess they come up the drain. Same if I leave it on the counter but I've gotten into the habit of NEVER doing that because of it. If I spill crumbs or granules of sugar they are wiped up within seconds now LOL. They were showing up within a half hour!

Parsley Plus.

Parsley Plus All Surface Cleaner | Earth Friendly Products
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House