Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2013, 11:38 AM

5,120 posts, read 16,595,896 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
I don't even get the kids playing in cul de sac thing. Having spent many years delivering pizza and other stuff to residential areas including to many cul de sacs, that was one of the most irritating things. Getting yelled at by the little delinquent's parents for driving too fast, even though I was well within the speed limit, running over toys left laying in the street, difficulty turning around because the end of the cul de sac was blocked off with road cones, ropes, or other barricades so the kiddies could use it as a playground. It's a totally inappropriate use of a public right a way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
God forbid the pizza delivery drivers are inconvenienced.
As a resident and homeowner on the cul-de-sac, it IS inconvenient to have to dodge whatever equipment and toys are left in the street by these disrespectful children. If I have to pay property taxes to educate those little brats, I should have a say in where they are allowed to play!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2013, 03:52 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,762,441 times
It is idiotic to let children play in streets. Just Google the phrase children killed playing in street and see the results of children playing in the street.

Parents that let their children play in the street, should be charged for child endangerment and fined at least $1,000, and their children put under the protection of the state who would regularly check on the parents to see if they are still letting their child play in the street. If their child is killed or seriously injured by an auto when playing in the street, the parents should be sentenced to 5 years in prison.

As far as Home Owners Associations, they are the way most new subdivisions will go. The cities today, almost require them to get a subdivision approved. In a HOA subdivision, the city lets the HOA take care of things like maintaining the streets in the subdivision, etc. It makes it cheaper on the other tax payers in the city and helps the city budget.

Old 12-23-2013, 08:20 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,618,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
Streets are public right of ways for vehicle traffic only. They are not public playgrounds. The liabilities of children playing in them are tremendous.
I know of someone who ran over a kid who darted out from between parked cars from a game of hide and seek. They were driving 25mph & the kids could not be seen by traffic in the area. That person was devastated and lives with that memory forever. Police gave all the kids parents a good lecture and warning they'd get cited if the street playing continued.
One would hope that the parents would have learned by their child being run over. Sadly, that's frequently not the case. They're incredibly lucky the child didn't die!

I feel for your friend. That has to be very difficult to live with. I can't imagine you ever get over it.

Old 12-26-2013, 01:06 AM

2,429 posts, read 4,021,495 times
Good heavens kids have been playing in the street since forever -- whiffle ball, street hockey, tossing, footballs, riding bikes, hopscotch, jump rope, etc...even in big cities like Boston, NYC, Chicago, Newark NJ, Atlanta, Washington DC. And somehow the population of America hasn't killed itself off. Another reason NOT to live under an HOA.

Old 12-26-2013, 06:08 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,303,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eggalegga View Post
As a resident and homeowner on the cul-de-sac, it IS inconvenient to have to dodge whatever equipment and toys are left in the street by these disrespectful children. If I have to pay property taxes to educate those little brats, I should have a say in where they are allowed to play!
probably the same sentiment your neighbors had when you were growing up and THEY paid for YOUR education....

Old 12-26-2013, 06:38 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,357,132 times
Yes, what is wrong with these kids? Why aren't they inside, playing Wii baseball, and X-box?

The entire area should be "child free"...

Just another reason to not move to a pretentious neighborhood. No doubt, it is a place where you have a guard at the gate...

Old 12-26-2013, 10:07 AM

5,120 posts, read 16,595,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
probably the same sentiment your neighbors had when you were growing up and THEY paid for YOUR education....
Nope, I didn't play in the street, wasn't allowed....AND I've worked 13+ years and contributed my share of taxes to pay for MY education.

Old 12-26-2013, 11:27 AM

9,145 posts, read 14,762,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
Streets are public right of ways for vehicle traffic only. They are not public playgrounds. The liabilities of children playing in them are tremendous.
I know of someone who ran over a kid who darted out from between parked cars from a game of hide and seek. They were driving 25mph & the kids could not be seen by traffic in the area. That person was devastated and lives with that memory forever. Police gave all the kids parents a good lecture and warning they'd get cited if the street playing continued.

About 4 years ago something similar happened in this area. The kid was riding his skateboard down his driveway, which was on a hill down toward the street and was not able to stop in time to avoid flying into the street. This is the first article I could find and was not very complete, but if memory serves, there was a car also parked in the street which blocked the driver's view and even though she was apparently below the 25 mph speed limit, the child was killed. (I am not entirely sure, but I think he actually ran into the side of her car) The woman driving was a neighbor that lived a few doors down and was devastated.

9-year-old Cary boy killed on skateboard :: WRAL.com

The same street had been the source of friction previously where neighbors had asked for speed humps or other traffic calming devices to be put in due to the thought that drivers were going too fast for the number of kids that played unsupervised in the street. I actually jog down this street fairly often and there are no speed humps there now and there are often cars parked on the street still.

CARY: Tragedy prompts neighbors to renew call for safety | Traffic | NewsObserver.com

Old 12-26-2013, 01:13 PM

3,969 posts, read 8,501,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eggalegga View Post
Nope, I didn't play in the street, wasn't allowed....AND I've worked 13+ years and contributed my share of taxes to pay for MY education.
If you contributed enough in the last 13+years to pay for your education, I'm sure these kids are doing the same.

When I graduated from high school 40+ years ago, I had not yet paid any taxes to support my education until that point. Older people had done that for me. So since then it has been my responsibility and pleasure to help provide that same opportunity to the next generations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House