Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2013, 11:44 AM

7,138 posts, read 11,029,019 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
God forbid the pizza delivery drivers are inconvenienced.
God forbid if the pizza deliver driver runs over some little kid sitting in the middle of the street, while tagging the pavement with sidewalk chalk at 9PM.

Or the case a few years ago in Danville California where a newspaper delivery person ran over a kid who had fallen asleep in the middle of the street. Because the parents can't be bothered to watch their kids or teach them that doing things like that is dangerous. Because they are entitled to have their kids play in the street.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2013, 11:58 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longnecker View Post
That was my first thought. Senior citizens being annoyed by kids playing.
If I ever become that annoyed by children, I'm going to the doctor and asking for a brain scan.

Old 12-21-2013, 12:10 PM

4,792 posts, read 8,188,709 times
Quote:
If I ever become that annoyed by children, I'm going to the doctor and asking for a brain scan.
The post reminded me of other posts about H O A s in Florida. Here in our neighborhood we had someone who would call Security about kids playing football on the grass.

Old 12-21-2013, 12:42 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times
Many Home owners associations dont even allow kids. My Mom and Dad lived in one of these HOA communities ,the endless rules and regulations were quite severe and ultimately got them selling their house and moving to a more freer living environment.

Old 12-21-2013, 12:44 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longnecker View Post
The post reminded me of other posts about H O A s in Florida. Here in our neighborhood we had someone who would call Security about kids playing football on the grass.
Yeah, I got that part. That's why I'm going to the doctor and asking for a brain scan if I'm ever that annoyed by children. Something would have to be wrong with me, like a brain tumor or Alzheimer's.

Old 12-21-2013, 07:28 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,839,973 times
Most areas like that have a designated playground for the kids to play basketball, etc. Ours is that way, and kids are not allowed to ride skateboards or otherwise play in the parking areas. The reasons are many, including safety for the child, and also potential damage to parked cars from tossed balls or skateboard mishaps.

We have to remember this isn't 1950 anymore, lots more traffic, faster drivers, and a lot more people. The HOA is just trying to protect themselves and the kids IMO. The other issue is that kids will sometimes not move over when cars are coming by. We have neighborhoods down here where they play ball in the street, and when you drive by they "slightly" move over, but look at you as if you are the one intruding on their space.

Don

Old 12-21-2013, 09:17 PM

764 posts, read 1,421,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
We have to remember this isn't 1950 anymore, lots more traffic, faster drivers, and a lot more people. The HOA is just trying to protect themselves and the kids IMO. The other issue is that kids will sometimes not move over when cars are coming by. We have neighborhoods down here where they play ball in the street, and when you drive by they "slightly" move over, but look at you as if you are the one intruding on their space.

Don
^^This is what I have in my neighborhood. Some of the kids just do not move out of the way. They play in the street and don't look before running out in the road, darting out between parked cars on a bike, etc. At any given time, we seem to have two or three families on our street that have kids who do this. One or two may move out and they are quickly replaced by the same types of folks. We used to have three boys a couple of houses down that loved to run up behind a car backing out of the driveway and stand there or ride their bikes there and sit, blocking the car. Fortunately, they only lived here for a few months and moved away. I used to think the boys lived there by themselves cause we rarely saw an adult around and they never seemed to go to school.

Don't parents tell their kids they will not win the car vs kid "fight??"

Old 12-22-2013, 06:05 AM

809 posts, read 746,842 times
Four pages of discussion later and I'll hazard another guess. That there's been far more discussion of the proposed bylaw here than there was by members of that Florida association.

The lack of community participation, and the lack of competence by volunteer board members are some reasons these associations often fail.

Old 12-22-2013, 11:08 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,621,161 times
Quote:
It's impossible to ride bikes, rollerblade, play street hockey, or draw pictures with chalk in an open field.
WRONG! I road my bike every day in my grass filled (sometimes 2 foot high) back yard! Also played volleyball and basketball there. Field hockey could have been played if I wanted to.

Streets were made for cars not children. You have a yard and that's where it's safe for children.

I used to live in a development and DAILY kids would just wander out in the street having NO regard at all for the cars that would be driving. You can't see a 3 or 4 year old behind a car. They're too short. I slammed on my brakes more than once so I wouldn't kill the kid. And 90% of the time the parents sitting in the garage or yard yammering away with others or o their phone would scream at me for the nerve I had driving down the street I lived on. A street that my taxes helped pay for! Yes, some nerve I had using a public road for it's intended use.

This was such an issue that the HOA had to send letters monthly reminding people to keep their kids out of the damn street. The streets were for cars. We all had 1/4 acre plus lots (some were over an acre) with fenced in backyards so why were there dozens of children in the middle of the streets daily? Parents hoping for a lawsuit windfall, be rid of some of their children? Or are the parents just idiots?

Old 12-23-2013, 12:10 AM

44,628 posts, read 61,611,846 times
Streets are public right of ways for vehicle traffic only. They are not public playgrounds. The liabilities of children playing in them are tremendous.
I know of someone who ran over a kid who darted out from between parked cars from a game of hide and seek. They were driving 25mph & the kids could not be seen by traffic in the area. That person was devastated and lives with that memory forever. Police gave all the kids parents a good lecture and warning they'd get cited if the street playing continued.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House