Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2013, 11:29 AM

2,668 posts, read 4,498,864 times

Advertisements

I played on our streets when I was little, cul de sacs and neighborhoods mostly. If I lived on a main drag then no obviously not. Heck the neighbor kids on my street now play in the road, again in a cul de sac with a circle. Nobody comes down our road unless they mean too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2013, 12:01 PM

809 posts, read 747,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchrider View Post
I played on our streets when I was little, cul de sacs and neighborhoods mostly. If I lived on a main drag then no obviously not. Heck the neighbor kids on my street now play in the road, again in a cul de sac with a circle. Nobody comes down our road unless they mean too.
Times have changed since then. The real estate lawyers probably made it happen, the realtors love it, and we homeowners in associations are the crash test dummies.

Old 12-20-2013, 01:00 PM

6,819 posts, read 11,550,944 times
Why can't the parents decide if the street is safe enough for their kids to play on? Another example of government being in the parenting business.

Old 12-20-2013, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
Why can't the parents decide if the street is safe enough for their kids to play on? Another example of government being in the parenting business.
And you are the poster person for what's wrong with homeowner associations. Don't blame "government", HOA's are a private construct. Let me guess - are you a fan of rush limbaugh?

Old 12-20-2013, 01:29 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,771,138 times
Quote:
Because the parents that let children play in the street, are not able to make intelligent decisions about their kids.

A lot of kids every year, are injured and sometimes killed playing in the street. It is not a safe place for kids to play. Even in a low traffic street, as I travel on in our small town, I almost hold my breath watching for a child or children to pop up in front of my cars. I see dangerous situations about every 3rd time I drive to the store, when school is not in session. If I had not been watchful and going very slow, I know of 3 occasions the past months, where I would have killed a child who popped out up right in front of me.

Children playing in the street, is the same as playing Russian Roulette. Sometimes it is safe, and other times they can get themselves killed.

Old 12-20-2013, 03:35 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,319,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by upgrader View Post
You are giving the unpaid, volunteer board members too much credit. Serving on a Florida association board is a thankless job. Most people do it only to serve their own interests, and most members of Florida associations don't have a clue about what they are subject to.

Here's a wild guess, from seeing that one board member in the video. The Board doesn't like kids, and they have the power to keep them from playing on street pavement.

Here's another guess. The outraged parents never participated in the governance of their community. A reasonably competent Board of Directors would have published notice of this bylaw change. If the Board members weren't competent, the members of the association should have voted for other Board members.
Us outraged parents know better than to live somewhere with a HOA . Never have lived in one, never will. Don't need a HOA to tell me how to keep my house, etc. Amazingly all of our neighbors have been able to figure it out too

Old 12-20-2013, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Us outraged parents know better than to live somewhere with a HOA . Never have lived in one, never will. Don't need a HOA to tell me how to keep my house, etc. Amazingly all of our neighbors have been able to figure it out too
You sound more like an enlightened parent.

Sadly, homeowner associations are part of many lives. I live in a condo, and the definition of that requires an association. Associations are just another layer of government. They should be treated as such. Assessments should have a higher priority than mortgages. Then they'd be escrowed just like county property tax. Board members should be compensated for their time so that participation wouldn't be avoided by sane people.

If homeowners in associations were better educated of the situation, maybe they'd participate and work though issues like this one.

Old 12-20-2013, 07:28 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,071,598 times
Quote:
..so that participation wouldn't be avoided by sane people.
That's some funny stuff, right there!

Old 12-20-2013, 08:04 PM

3,766 posts, read 4,106,895 times
Quote:
You sound more like an enlightened parent.

Sadly, homeowner associations are part of many lives. I live in a condo, and the definition of that requires an association. Associations are just another layer of government. They should be treated as such. Assessments should have a higher priority than mortgages. Then they'd be escrowed just like county property tax. Board members should be compensated for their time so that participation wouldn't be avoided by sane people.

If homeowners in associations were better educated of the situation, maybe they'd participate and work though issues like this one.

If homeowners were better educated of the situation, they wouldn't let, or encourage, their kids to play in the streets.

I lived in a townhouse with a condo association and every kid in the community played in the street. Behind my row of houses there were ten acres of open fields maintained by the association for the kids to play on, but the idiots who gave birth to these kids encouraged them to play in the street, not in the field. Go figure. My next door neighbor was so aggravated with them playing in the street that she sold her house and moved.

Old 12-20-2013, 08:20 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,071,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by james777 View Post
I lived in a townhouse with a condo association and every kid in the community played in the street. Behind my row of houses there were ten acres of open fields maintained by the association for the kids to play on, but the idiots who gave birth to these kids encouraged them to play in the street, not in the field. Go figure.
It's impossible to ride bikes, rollerblade, play street hockey, or draw pictures with chalk in an open field.

Quote:
Originally Posted by james777 View Post
My next door neighbor was so aggravated with them playing in the street that she sold her house and moved.
I'm sure she's happier in an AARP community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House