Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2013, 06:53 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,609,273 times

Advertisements

LAKEWOOD RANCH, Fla. (AP) — A homeowner's association in Florida is prohibiting children from playing in the street.

ABC Action News in Tampa (Lakewood Ranch new rules prohibit children from playing on the street) reports the Miramar at the Country Club Homeowner's Association passed a new bylaw last week, saying that children can't play in the street due to safety reasons. Association officials told the TV station that there's one narrow, windy road through the community and drivers often speed.

Fla. homeowner's group bans playing in street
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2013, 09:33 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,877,697 times
Makes sense to me to not allow children to play in the street. In fact here parents do not allow that just as I was not allowed.

Old 12-20-2013, 12:22 AM

44,634 posts, read 61,638,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Makes sense to me to not allow children to play in the street. In fact here parents do not allow that just as I was not allowed.
^^^This. And if the street is maintained by the HOA then along with the safety issue there is the liability problem.

Old 12-20-2013, 03:42 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,071,598 times
Heck, my father used to tell us to go play in traffic when we were annoying. I grew up in a neighborhood where children played in the street. I live in one now. I wouldn't buy a house in a neighborhood with fast or heavy traffic.

If people drive fast in neighborhoods, our township installs stop signs at every intersection, breaks up streets to be one way in different directions so there are no straightaways, or installs speed bumps. A no playing in the street rule won't protect a homeowner's association from liability. A child can get hit by a car just crossing the street without playing in it. .

Old 12-20-2013, 07:55 AM

9,145 posts, read 14,771,173 times
A town in this area passed a similar ordinance a while back and caused quite a debate. Personally, I have no issues if kids that are being responsible play in a cul de sac, which is a street and covered under the ban, but on a through street, its just too dangerous, IMO. At the very least. of the town or HOA bans it and people still do it, they are limiting their liability in case something tragic does happen.

Old 12-20-2013, 08:55 AM

41,967 posts, read 75,217,462 times
Sounds like it's the speeding drivers who are causing the problem, and not the kids playing in the street.

Old 12-20-2013, 10:19 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,319,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Sounds like it's the speeding drivers who are causing the problem, and not the kids playing in the street.
I agree...everyone played in the street when I was growing up--we just knew to watch for cars. Our kids played in the street growing up and the drivers all watched out for them because their kids were in the pack too...

but kids don't play outside anymore...or at least you wouldn't think so based on posts here

Old 12-20-2013, 10:19 AM

809 posts, read 747,558 times
There is no worse governance than a Florida homeowner or condo association. Don't make the same mistake I did a long time ago - avoid these like the plague.

Old 12-20-2013, 10:57 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,998,833 times
We're talking about Florida here. The HOA is concerned that certain children might be shot dead in another "stand your ground" incident.

Old 12-20-2013, 11:07 AM

809 posts, read 747,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
We're talking about Florida here. The HOA is concerned that certain children might be shot dead in another "stand your ground" incident.
You are giving the unpaid, volunteer board members too much credit. Serving on a Florida association board is a thankless job. Most people do it only to serve their own interests, and most members of Florida associations don't have a clue about what they are subject to.

Here's a wild guess, from seeing that one board member in the video. The Board doesn't like kids, and they have the power to keep them from playing on street pavement.

Here's another guess. The outraged parents never participated in the governance of their community. A reasonably competent Board of Directors would have published notice of this bylaw change. If the Board members weren't competent, the members of the association should have voted for other Board members.

Last edited by upgrader; 12-20-2013 at 11:30 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House